||Five Worth Finding: Monteverde, Chicago Ideas Week and more
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
This article shared 771 times since Wed Oct 11, 2017
Monteverde: Monteverde Executive Chef Sarah Grueneberg won Best Chef Great Lakes at the James Beard Awards this yearand for good reason. Her West Loop restaurant draws people in droves, thanks to a menu that embraces the different ( skate schnitzel ) and displays what turns out to be the flavorful ( gnocchetti con pesto ).
Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher: The wife-and-wife comedy/acting team will perform in Chicago ( at the Vic as part of their Back to Back tour ) on Oct. 14. It's a return home for Esposito, a onetime Windy City Times 30 Under 30 honoree.
The Beauty of Horror 2: Ghouliana's CreepatoriumAnother GOREgeous Coloring Book: In time for Halloween comes possibly the creepiest coloring book ever, courtesy of Alan Robert, a well-known horror illustrator/writer. For an introduction, check out the trailer at vimeo.com/alanrobert/beautyofhorror2 and TheBeautyOfHorror.com .
Let It Fall: Los Angeles 1982-1992: On the 25th anniversary of the L.A. Riots, director John Ridley has engineered a hard-hitting, poignant and even ( at times ) graphic documentary, talking with people who were a part of this turbulent decade and recounting events in sometimes heartbreaking detail.
Chicago Ideas Week: The seventh annual program, running Oct. 16-22, will feature more than 150 events on topics such as the state of the union, cybersecurity, the Black middle class, and modern love and relationships. More than 30,000 attendees from Chicago, the Midwest and across the world are expected to attend to hear people such as recent Emmy winner Lena Waithe and fashion designer Zac Posen. See www.chicagoideas.com .
By Andrew Davis
( Andrew@WindyCityMediaGroup.com and @azygous60610 )
This article shared 771 times since Wed Oct 11, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Windy City Times holiday shopping guide 2022-12-03|
- If you're looking for ideas for holiday gifts, check out what we have to offer: A supreme idea: You may not know this but one of the coolest new stores in Chicago is the Wicker Park spot Supreme, at 1438 N. ...
|Five Worth Finding: COVID book, 'Wicked' cocktails, 'A Taste of Hope' and more 2022-10-24|
- —COVID-19, the LGBTQIA+ Community and Public Policy: As studies emerge to help us understand the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on every facet of modern life, it is critical that the effect of the pandemic on ...
|Five Worth Finding: Movie short, 'Kaepernick,' ice cream and more 2022-08-14|
- —Fraud: Non-binary director Zen Zadih Pace's debut narrative short, Fraud—starring trans actress Dana Aliya Levinson (STARZ's American Gods) and Babak Tafti (Showtime's Super Pumped)—was selected for ...
|Five Worth Finding: WNDR Museum, Prince, queer books, flowers 2022-06-16|
- WNDR Museum's Pride event "Crafting with Queens": The West Loop museum is usually entertainment and, um, wondrous enough on its ownbut during Pride Month, WNDR is queering things up with "Crafting with Queens" on Tuesday, ...
|Five Worth Finding: Chocolate festival, lesbian sci-fi film, 'Smahtguy' 2022-05-16|
- —The Long Grove Chocolate Festival: The beloved Chocolate Festival will return to the historic streets and parkways of downtown Long Grove for the first time in three years, May 20-22. Chocolate lovers can experience so much—including ...
|Five Worth Finding: Horror film, fantasy series, 'Women in Wine' 2022-03-07|
- The Last Thing Mary Saw: Offered exclusively on Shudder, The Last Thing Mary Saw (directed by Edoardo Vitaletti) is an engaging treat. In 19th-century New York, Young Mary, blood trickling from behind the blindfold tied around ...
|Five Worth Finding: Mango Pickle, play about gay movie stars and more 2022-01-24|
- Mango Pickle: I've written about this Edgewater restaurant beforeand, fortunately, the unique quality of the Indian menu items remains. I was fortunate enough to recently experience the 21 Days of ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gift ideas 2021-12-15|
- With the holidays almost upon us, here are a few items to consider: Samsung items: Some people may just think phones and computers when they think of Samsung, but the company offers so much more. For ...
|Five Worth Finding: World AIDS Day, 'Benedetta,' books, wine in a can 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day event at Belmont Harbor: The Chicago Parks Foundation will hold a World AIDS Day event on Dec. 1, 9-10:30 a.m., at the Belmont Harbor Yacht Club. Antonio King, LGBTQ health and outreach liaison ...
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Five Worth Finding: 'Swan Song,' mental-health event, Halloween items, artwork 2021-09-04|
- Technically, there are six items here, but they're all highly recommended. Swan Song: Throughout his long and storied career, German actor Udo Kier has taken on many roles but probably none as indelible as former hairdresser Pat ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Five Worth Finding: Rainbow Soap, Billy Porter, Honey West and more 2021-06-12|
- Soap Distillery's Rainbow Soap (SoapDistillery.com): To help celebrate Pride Month, many businesses are offering rainbow versions of their products and Chicago's Soap Distillery is no exception. A portion of proceeds ...
|Five Worth Finding: Skydeck, a great Italian dinner and more 2021-05-03|
- Skydeck Chicago at Willis Tower (TheSkydeck.com): The famed Skydeck Chicago, 103 stories up at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has reopened complete with the ledges (that separate people from the city ...