WINDY CITY TIMES
||Five Worth Finding: 'Astrographics,' 'Mapplethorpe' and more
This article shared 1534 times since Mon Mar 22, 2021
'Astrographics' at theMart (starting April 1): Art on theMART (at what used to be known as Merchandise Mart) will resume projections Thursday, April 1, with the world premiere of Astrographicsa 16-minute piece developed in collaboration with the Adler Planetarium and presented in partnership with the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. Astrographics artistically showcases both historic perceptions of space and more recent advances in the understanding of the universe.
Mapplethorpe: The Director's Cut (out April 2): Directed by Ondi Timoner and starring Matt Smith (Doctor Who) as the title subject, Mapplethorpe: The Director's Cut adds new scenes and a vibrant new soundtrack. As many know, photographer Robert Mapplethorpe was among the most consequential and controversial artists of the 20th centuryand this restored version of the 2018 film provides more context to this gay man's vivid life.
Colin Kaepernick's Change the Whirled: Colin Kaepernick has partnered with Ben & Jerry's on a new flavor. Colin Kaepernick's Change the Whirled is a caramel non-dairy frozen dessert with fudge chips, graham cracker swirls and chocolate cookie swirls, per the ice-cream company's website. This flavor honors Colin's activism in pursuit of racial justice; his portion of the proceeds from Change the Whirled will go to Know Your Rights Camp (KnowYourRightsCamp.com).
ZYN (DrinkZYN.com): This drink is absolutely delicious, and comes in flavors such as pomegranate cranberry, lemon ginger, mixed berry and mango lychee. However, this is also considered to be the world's first beverage utilizing curcuminthe active ingredient in tumeric. Stated benefits of the turmeric root beyond its antioxidant power include the ability to lower cholesterol, support heart and gut health, and even slow down aging.
Wicked Dog (WickedDogApparel.com): Wicked Dog is a clothing/accessory line inspired by Elvis, one of the founders' own Boston terrier. There are items ranging from oversized hoodies to men's shoes to T-shirts to (of course, thanks to Elvis) dog leashesand some items are currently 50% off.
This article shared 1534 times since Mon Mar 22, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Alphawood chooses LGBTQ+ individual to head foundation 2021-10-20|
- Alphawood Foundation Chicago announced Chirag G. Badlani as its newest executive director, effective Nov. 8. Badlani succeeds Jim McDonough, who retired this month after leading the foundation since 2012 and who will remain Alphawood's legal counsel ...
|Portrait series 'Still Searching' highlights missing Black women, children 2021-10-19|
--From a press release, video below - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. On Friday, Oct. 22, 2021 from 6:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Damon Lamar Reed, Nicole So Random, and 345 Art Gallery will collaborate to present Still Searching Art Exhibition at 345 Art Gallery in Chicago, ...
|3Arts awards nearly $1M to women artists, artists of color, Deaf, disabled artists 2021-10-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (OCTOBER 18, 2021)—3Arts, the Chicago-based nonprofit grantmaking organization, will award Chicago artists with nearly $1 million in unrestricted cash grants during the 14th annual 3Arts Awards, taking place ...
|LGBT History Month: '40s and '50s instant photography gave LGBT people 'Safe/Haven' 2021-10-15|
- Two men dressed in drag for a tea party, and two women cuddled up at the beach. Today these might be benign photographs but, in the early 1950s, they were memories shuttered away from public view. ...
|ART Contemporary yet timeless exhibition 'Young, Gifted and Black' arrives at Gallery 400 2021-10-13|
- To be a Black art collector is to stand on the shoulders of a proud lineage. Throughout history, Black patrons have supported Black artists when nobody else did. Bernard Lumpkin—a New York City-based art patron, educator ...
|ART Van Gogh balloon celebrates installation's extension to Feb. 6 2021-10-11|
- Following a maiden flight in Toronto to herald the return of the city's "Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit," Lighthouse Immersive's Vincent van Gogh hot-air balloon made its way to Goebbert's Farm, in the Kane County village of ...
|THEATER REVIEW Songs for Nobodies 2021-10-07|
- Title: Songs for Nobodies. Playwright: Joanna Murray-Smith At: Northlight Theatre at the North Shore Center for the Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd. Tickets: $30-$89. Runs through: Sunday, Oct. 31 You won't find their names in the history ...
|Chicago Inclusion Project offers anti-racism workshops for arts organizations 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL—The staff of The Chicago Inclusion Project is excited to launch a new workshop and continuum developed by staff members Jessica Vann and Arti Ishak. The workshop, entitled "Being Anti-Racist: An Active Action," is designed ...
|ART Nick Cave, Bob Faust to unveil 'Rapt on the Mile' on Michigan Avenue 2021-10-04|
- The Magnificent Mile has recently installed a monumental, multi-story public art installation entitled "Rapt on The Mile" that renowned artists (and couple) Nick Cave and Bob Faust created. The mural, which now wraps the 679 N. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Queer/Art,' sports items, Kevin Bacon, Indya Moore 2021-10-03|
- Queer|ArtNew York City's home for the creative and professional development of LGBTQ+ artistsannounced the fall season of Queer|Art|Film, returning in person through Dec. 13, a press release noted. The line-up ...
|Crystal Lake's Raue Center for the Arts opens new school 2021-09-27|
- On its 20th anniversary, the Crystal Lake, Illinois-based nonprofit organization Raue Center for the Arts has launched a new school. Raue Center School for the Arts (RCSA) will provide youth and adult classes in a wide ...
|Month-long Open House Chicago 2021 to feature in-person site visits Oct. 16-17 2021-09-25|
--From a press release - (September 20, 2021) CHICAGO — Chicago Architecture Center (CAC) announced that Open House Chicago 2021 will again offer its popular in-person, indoor site visits, providing rare behind-the-scenes access to more ...
|ART The Peninsula hosting installation by Bob Faust 2021-09-23|
- The Peninsula Chicago, 108 E. Superior St., an art installation featuring Chicago artist Bob Fausthalf of a power couple of the art world, with Nick Cave. Titled "with all, and still…," this exhibit debuted mid-September and ...
|Chicago's holiday cultural and arts events to reopen for in-person 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced DCASE fall and holiday programming as Chicago's vital arts scene continues to safely and fully reopen. In-person holiday ...
|Art Institute workers forming union 2021-09-22|
- With backing for a majority of employees, organizers at the Art Institute of Chicago announced they are asking the museum to voluntarily recognize the first labor union at the cultural institution, The Chicago Tribune reported. The ...
|Legacy Walk plaques added for Pauli Murray, Matthew Shepard|
|Chicago Sky win their first WNBA championship|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula'|
|BOOKS Twelfth (and final) 'Boystown' cover revealed|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV|