||Film Tells Gwen's Story
This article shared 8412 times since Thu Jun 1, 2006
Actor JD Pardo portrays slain transgender teen, Gwen Araujo—here dressed for her sister's wedding day. The Lifetime Original Movie 'A GIRL LIKE ME: The Gwen Araujo Story,' premieres Monday, June 19.
Imagine feeling like you're trapped in the wrong body, that there's been some sort of mistake—that you're supposed to be a girl instead of a boy. How would you tell your family and friends that you wanted to change genders? Would you bring it up with someone you had a crush on? And what would you do when society not only refused to accept the new you, but was violent toward you? Well, Eddie Araujo didn't know the answers, but he did know he was supposed to be female, so he began to dress as a girl and changed his name to Gwen.
You won't believe what Gwen endured just to live her life as who she was and feel normal. It's a shocking true story about courage and tolerance, and is sure to stay with you long after the credits roll.
A GIRL LIKE ME: The Gwen Araujo Story premieres Monday, June 19 on Lifetime TV. Based on a true story, the Lifetime Original Movie follows Sylvia Guerrero ( Mercedes Ruehl, Married to the Mob ) , a single mother whose teenager ( J.D. Pardo, American Dreams ) , born Eddie Araujo, boldly decides to live life as a female by growing long hair, wearing women's clothing and make-up and eventually adopting the name Gwen, after her idol, singer Gwen Stefani.
Her difficult decision creates tension and conflict within her traditional close-knit Latino family but over time, they slowly learn to understand and accept Gwen's choice. When Gwen's transgender status is discovered by four males at a local party, they brutally beat and kill her. Gwen's senseless murder shakes her Northern California community and makes headlines across the nation. Sylvia decides to dedicate her life to bringing her daughter's killers to justice and advocating for the rights of all transgender people. The film also stars Lupe Ontiveros ( Desperate Housewives, Selena ) . Produced by Braun Entertainment Group and Sony Pictures Television and co-executive produced by attorney Gloria Allred, who represented the family during the murder trial.
This article shared 8412 times since Thu Jun 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|American Blues Theater to present 19th production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — American Blues Theater will produce its 199h Annual Production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago! from Frank Capra's film and directed by Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside with musical direction by Michael Mahler ...
|American Blues marking 35 years on Sept. 4 with 'Blue Bash' 2020-08-28|
- American Blues Theater, under the continued leadership of Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside, announced the 2021 Blue Bash, a fundraiser celebrating 35 Years Strong. The interactive celebration with live performances by ...
|American Blues kicks off reading series Aug. 7 with 'A Shot' 2020-08-06|
- American Blues Theater (ABT), under the leadership of Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside, announced "The Room"a brand-new reading series that brings original work, plays in development and new stories to Chicago ...
|DRAG PROFILE Briawna Banana 2019-09-18|
- NAME "My name is an homage to three things: "Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani; the British sitcom, "Keeping Up Appearances" (It's pronounced, BOUQUET! It's spelled, B-U-C-K-E-T!); and just some good ...
|American Blues Theater announces five plays of the 2019-2020 Season 2019-03-06|
- Chicago, IL— American Blues Theater, under the continued leadership of Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside, announces the lineup for its 2019 — 2020 Season, "Then & Now". American Blues' 34th Season will include the Chicago Premiere of ...
|Five Worth Finding: Glamping, AIDS Run & Walk, and more 2018-09-19|
- Glamping at The Gwen (https://www.thegwenchicago.com/rooms-suites/glamping/): Time is winding down to enjoy the glamping experience at the upscale River North hotel The Gwen, on the private terrace of the Gwen Lux ...
DINING The Gwen's popsicles, MOMosa brunch, Sangria festival 2018-08-14|
- The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, 521 N. Rush St., is offering artisan popsicles, created in partnership with ItsaPop. The Gwen's guests can beat the heat with three flavors of popsicles from Chicago-based popsicle artisan Itsapop. ...
|Duane Cerny on new book, antiques and Gwendolyn Brooks 2018-08-08|
- When Duane Cerny was a child, his favorite place to hang out was in his parents basement because it was filled with '50s-era furniture from their first apartment in Rogers Park. "My parents preferred buying new ...
|W&CF event revolves around author Gwendolyn Brooks 2017-07-19|
- On July 13, Women & Children First bookstore hosted a reading and panel discussion of Revise the Psalm: Work Celebrating the Writing of Gwendolyn Brooks. This year marks the 100th birthday of the late Chicago poet. ...
|Gwendolyn Brooks events in spring 2017-03-28|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - The University of Chicago will celebrate the legacy of acclaimed poet Gwendolyn Brooks with events throughout the spring, including a major gathering of scholars, writers and musicians from April 6-8. In honor of the 100th anniversary ...
|Our Miss Brooks 100 to celebrate Gwendolyn Brooks at the Art Institute of Chicago 2017-01-26|
- An evening of poetry celebrating Gwendolyn Brooks will include all five living African-American Pulitzer Prize-winning poets - Rita Dove, Yusef Komunyakaa, Natasha Trethewey, Tracy K. Smith, and Gregory Pardlo - reading their ...
|National roundup: Vogue endorsement, Gwen Araujo, influential teens 2016-10-25|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - NFor the first time ever, Vogue magazine has endorsed a presidential candidateand it's Hillary Clinton. In part, the publication stated, "We understand that Clinton has not always been a perfect candidate, yet her fierce intelligence and ...
|Entertainment: Elton John, Maria Bello, Gwen Stefani, TMZ's Harvey Levin 2016-03-29|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - An ex-bodyguard is suing Sir Elton John for allegedly grabbing his crotch, twisting his nipples and demanding he "say hello to Uncle Elton," The New York Daily News reported. Jeffrey Wenninger quit his security gig in ...
|Nightspots: The Big To Do 2016-01-06|
Nightspots weekly picks to help you plan your nightlife calendar - ChiGAYgo: New Year, New Night! Thu., Jan. 7, 10 pm Laugh Factory Chicago, 3175 N. Broadway St. Ring in the New Year with Chicago's funniest gay and gay-friendly comics. Featuring Reena Calm, Peter Kim, Gwen La ...
|Upcoming: Poetry; Market Days; Doobie Brothers CD;
Mika album; ACTIVATE 2015-07-21|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Brooks poetry contest July 22 On Wed., July 22, at 7 p.m., 20 poets from across Illinois will compete for a poetry prize started by Gwendolyn Brooks in partnership with the Guild Literary Complex. The event ...