WINDY CITY TIMES
||Fifth annual Pulse Nightclub memorial in downstate Illinois on June 12
This article shared 1693 times since Wed Jun 9, 2021
On Saturday, June 12, at 7 p.m. in Bloomington, Illinois, local organizations will remember the 49 lives lost at the Pulse Nightclub in 2016 with their fifth annual outdoor memorial service, according to a joint press release from the Prairie Pride Coalition and McLean County Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America.
The event will take place on the 300 block of North Main Street, outside the Bistro, an LGBTQ+ nightclub.
Prairie Pride Coalition (PPC), McLean County Moms Demand Action and the Bistro are co-sponsors of the event that seeks to raise awareness of gun violence and its disproportionate effect on minority communities, including the LGBTQIA+ and Latinx populations.
The event will include 49 youth volunteers holding signs with names of the people lost on June 12, 2016, when a shooter entered the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando and produced the deadliest incident in the history of violence against the LGBTQIA+ community. Fifty-three additional people were injured that evening in an act that also targeted the Latinx community.
The memorial also will recognize the efforts of first responderslaw enforcement officials, paramedics and firefighterswho quickly responded at the scene, tended to wounded individuals and prevented further loss of life. Local first responders have been invited to attend.
Face coverings, sanitizer, and information about the co-sponsoring organizations and supportive organizations will be available at the memorial. The memorial will be livestreamed on PPC's Facebook page, at https://www.facebook.com/events/180561460633784.
The memorial is part of a full lineup of activities to commemorate June Pride Month. For a complete schedule of activities, contact PPC at email@example.com .
This article shared 1693 times since Wed Jun 9, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Clela Rorex, first County Clerk to issue same-sex marriage licences, has died 2022-06-20|
-- From a press release - BOULDER, CO - Out Boulder County and the family of Clela Rorex are saddened to announce the death of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer pioneering ally, Clela Rorex. On March 27,1975 Clela issued the first ...
|PASSAGES Onetime Gay Chicago publisher Craig Gernhardt 2022-06-15|
- Craig Gernhardtwho once was the publisher of the now-defunct Gay Chicagohas died at age 61, according to Tribute Archive. His father, Gay Chicago Magazine co-founder and Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame inductee Ralph Paul Gernhardt, passed ...
|PASSAGES Legendary Chicago transgender activist, icon, mentor Mama Gloria Allen 2022-06-14|
- Legendary Chicago Black transgender activist, icon and mentor "Mama" Gloria Allen died June 13 in her residence at Chicago's LGBTQ senior living facility Townhall Apartments in Lake View. The cause of death is unknown at this ...
|PASSAGES Transgender icon Mama Gloria dies at 76 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago transgender icon and activist Gloria Allen, who founded and ran a charm school for homeless trans youth and was the subject of the award-winning documentary "Mama Gloria" and the critically acclaimed play "Charm," has died ...
|PASSAGES Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan dies at 76 2022-06-13|
- Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan has passed away "peacefully at home" after several lengthy illnesses at age 76, The Chicago Tribune reported. Ryan was the state's attorney general from 1995 to 2003, and was the ...
|Local trans icon June LaTrobe dies 2022-06-11|
- June M. LaTrobe—a Chicago trans icon known for her activism—has passed away. She turned 81 on June 1. Being an advocate for the trans community, LaTrobe participated in many events (such as protests) and often took ...
|Red Stars tie again; Cubs win, White Sox lose; NU softball; ex-Bear dies 2022-06-02|
- The Chicago Red Stars battled the Washington Spirit to a 1-1 tie on June 1 at SeatGeek Stadium. The Red Stars' previous game, against the Portland Thorns, also resulted in a tie (2-2). An early header ...
|Late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron honored with street sign 2022-05-31|
- On May 30, during Memorial Day/International Mr. Leather (IML) weekend, the leather shop 64TEN honored late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron with a tribute and honorary street-naming ceremony. The events were held at the corner of Clark Street ...
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|PASSAGES Dr. David Ostrow dies at 74 2022-05-14|
- Longtime researcher Dr. David Gene Ostrow, of Chicago, died unexpectedly on Feb. 16 at home. He was 74. The cause of death was end-stage renal disease, according to the Tribute Archive website. Ostrow was born on ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist, Steamworks co-founder Rick Stokes dies at 87 2022-05-07|
- Rick Earl Stokes, famously "the other gay candidate" who ran against Harvey Milk for San Francisco supervisor in 1977, died May 3 at age 87, according to the Bay Area Reporter. Stokes died in San Francisco ...
|PASSAGES Playwright/disability-rights activist Susan Nussbaum dies 2022-04-30|
- Susan Nussbauma Chicago playwright, novelist and longtime disability-rights activistdied April 28 at age 68. Nussbaum won the 2012 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Social Engaging Fiction for her novel Good Kings Bad ...
|Chicago theater actress Hollis Resnik dies at 66 2022-04-18|
- Chicago theater actress Hollis Resnick, who had a glittering resume, has passed away at age 66. The Chicago Tribune's Chris Jones tweeted, "Sad to report that Father Jim Heneghan tells me that the great Chicago actress ...
|Loved ones mourn loss of Elise Malary 2022-04-15|
- Angelina Nordstrom remembers their close friend Elise Malary through candid photos and videos they loved to surprise her with. "My favorite thing was to catch her off-guard with the camera, to capture random moments of her ...