WINDY CITY TIMES
||Feminist icon/singer Helen Reddy dies at 78
This article shared 6255 times since Wed Sep 30, 2020
Helen Reddythe Australian-born singer whose 1972 hit song "I Am Woman" made her a feminist icondied Sept. 29 in Los Angeles. She was 78.
According to The New York Times, Reddy suffered for decades from Addison's disease ( having a kidney removed when she was 17 ) and, since at least 2015, from dementia.
"I Am Woman" reached number one on the Billboard charts and earned her the Grammy Award for best female pop vocal performance. Other hit songs included "Delta Dawn," "Angie Baby" and "You and Me Against the World."
Windy City Times interviewed Reddy twice ( in 2008 and 2013 ). Among other things, Reddy revealed that she lived in Chicago in 1967-68 and was one of the first people who lived in Lake Point Tower ( a condo building located at 505 N. Lake Shore Dr. ). Also, Reddy said she resumed touring in the early 2010s because "I don't have to please anyone anymore. I don't have to please the record company or jump up and down for an agent. I'm doing the show the way I want to do it."
This article shared 6255 times since Wed Sep 30, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...
|Belting for Life Sunday May 16, streaming through May 31 2021-04-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - Jeff Award-winning director and HIV+ activist Christopher Pazdernik presents the 6th annual Belting for Life (formerly known as Chris' Birthday Belt Fest), an annual benefit concert for Howard Brown Health, one of the nation's ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans singer, 'Pose,' Kate Winslet, Lil Nas X, Broadway 2021-04-11|
- Trans femme indie-punk artist Evan Greer (she/her) released a dystopian new music video for the song "Surveillance Capitalism," a press release noted. She is using it to launch StopSpotifySurveillance.org with Fight for the Future, where she ...