WINDY CITY TIMES
||Feminist icon/singer Helen Reddy dies at 78
This article shared 6905 times since Wed Sep 30, 2020
Helen Reddythe Australian-born singer whose 1972 hit song "I Am Woman" made her a feminist icondied Sept. 29 in Los Angeles. She was 78.
According to The New York Times, Reddy suffered for decades from Addison's disease ( having a kidney removed when she was 17 ) and, since at least 2015, from dementia.
"I Am Woman" reached number one on the Billboard charts and earned her the Grammy Award for best female pop vocal performance. Other hit songs included "Delta Dawn," "Angie Baby" and "You and Me Against the World."
Windy City Times interviewed Reddy twice ( in 2008 and 2013 ). Among other things, Reddy revealed that she lived in Chicago in 1967-68 and was one of the first people who lived in Lake Point Tower ( a condo building located at 505 N. Lake Shore Dr. ). Also, Reddy said she resumed touring in the early 2010s because "I don't have to please anyone anymore. I don't have to please the record company or jump up and down for an agent. I'm doing the show the way I want to do it."
This article shared 6905 times since Wed Sep 30, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Local lesbian couple talks new band The Q's, love story, other endeavors 2021-06-16|
- Singing has been a part of Debra Duncan and Kayla Quiros' lives since they were in high school. Now the married couple and The Q's bandmates have released their debut album, Us Who Know, chronicling their ...
|Music Box showing LGBTQ movie 'Summer of '85' on June 25
- Music Box Theatre & Music Box Films, 3733 N. Southport Ave., will present out gay writer/director Francois Ozon's French love story Summer of '85, theatrically in 35mm, on Friday, June 25. Adapted by Ozon from Aidan ...
|Blue Man Group returning Aug. 18
- Blue Man Group will return to Chicago's Briar Street Theatre on Wed., Aug. 18. A dynamic combination of art, music, comedy and technology, Blue Man Group encourages audiences to reconnect with their inner (and outer) child ...
|Mayor Lightfoot and DCASE announce more summer cultural events across Chicago 2021-06-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced even more returning, new and reimagined summer cultural events across Chicago — plus artist lineups and other details ...
|National Women's Music Festival to stream June 30-July 4 2021-06-13|
- The beauty, power and wisdom of women will be celebrated at the 45th Annual National Women's Music Festival, which will be streamed on Mandolin.com on June 30-July 4. There will be a SheRocks Stage, Spotlight Stage, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Our America,' Randy Rainbow, Melissa Etheridge, 'Drag Race,' VINCINT 2021-06-13|
- ABC Owned Television Stations announced that the first two-episodes of the Our America: Who I'm Meant to Be docuseries are now available on its 32 connected TV apps across streaming platforms Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, ...
|Seb throws Carlos a quinceanero on 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' 2021-06-10|
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a streaming television show on Disney+ inspired byyou guessed it!the High School Musical film series. It is set in East High School and has a unique storyline with ...
|Ravinia Festival announces updates to 2021 summer programming 2021-06-09|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival is pleased to announce the following additions to its summer 2021 schedule: Counting Crows, Aug. 19 Marie Osmond with special guest David Archuleta (Ravinia debuts), Aug. 25 Allison Russell ...
|Chaka Khan, Tiesto, drag queens to be at 'Pride in the Park' June 26-27 2021-06-08|
- The acts have been revealed who will perform at Pride in the Park on June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. Performers in the line-ups include Chaka Khan, Tiesto, ...
|Tracy Young: DJ on Kim Zolciak, pronouns and 'Pride in the Park' 2021-06-07|
- From DJ Steve Aoki throwing rainbow cakes into the crowd to drag queens keeping the party pumping for two fun filled days in 2019 at the Petrillo Music Shell stage in Grant Park, music has quickly ...
|MUSIC Adam Lambert, Billy Porter, Demi Lovato
part of 4th Annual Stonewall Day 2021-06-07|
- On June 6, Pride Live held the 4th annual Stonewall Day eventa global campaign to elevate awareness and support for the Stonewall legacy and the continuing fight for full LGBTQ+ equality. This year, Pride Live teamed ...
|Buffalo Grove holds Pride Drive 2021-06-07|
- On June 6, a Pride Drive took place in Buffalo Grove. More than 100 residential and commercial properties were decorated with pride decor, balloon art by Balloons by Tommy, music, rainbow treats and more. The Pride ...
|SHOWBIZ Todrick Hall, LGBTQIA+ podcast, Pride TV programs, '80s music 2021-06-06|
- Todrick Hall is celebrating Pride with the release of his new album, Femuline, on June 8, a press release noted. The album's lead single, "Boys In The Ocean," is described as "an irresistible funk jam." Femuline ...
|New Streisand album coming out Aug. 6 2021-06-05|
- Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will present Release Me 2a new collection of 10 previously unreleased studio performances from the legendary Barbra Streisandon Friday ...
|VIRTUAL CONCERT Lyric Opera airing 'The New Classics' on June 10 2021-06-02|
- On Thursday, June 10, The Lyric Opera will air airtual cabaret featuring Broadway and Lyric artists in "The New Classics: Songs from the New Golden Age of Musical Theater." The event will start at 7 p.m ...