WINDY CITY TIMES
||Feminist icon/singer Helen Reddy dies at 78
This article shared 3359 times since Wed Sep 30, 2020
Helen Reddythe Australian-born singer whose 1972 hit song "I Am Woman" made her a feminist icondied Sept. 29 in Los Angeles. She was 78.
According to The New York Times, Reddy suffered for decades from Addison's disease ( having a kidney removed when she was 17 ) and, since at least 2015, from dementia.
"I Am Woman" reached number one on the Billboard charts and earned her the Grammy Award for best female pop vocal performance. Other hit songs included "Delta Dawn," "Angie Baby" and "You and Me Against the World."
Windy City Times interviewed Reddy twice ( in 2008 and 2013 ). Among other things, Reddy revealed that she lived in Chicago in 1967-68 and was one of the first people who lived in Lake Point Tower ( a condo building located at 505 N. Lake Shore Dr. ). Also, Reddy said she resumed touring in the early 2010s because "I don't have to please anyone anymore. I don't have to please the record company or jump up and down for an agent. I'm doing the show the way I want to do it."
This article shared 3359 times since Wed Sep 30, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MUSIC (Colton) Ford tough: Singer is back and 'Stronger' than ever 2020-11-28|
- Colton Ford has been an actor (in mainstream, off-Broadway and adult features) as well as singer, but he had see out of the spotlight for a few years—until now. Ford (who's openly gay) is back with ...
|'The Prom' out Dec. 11 on Netflix
- The Proma musical-comedy film directed by Ryan Murphy and adapted by Chad Beguelin and Bob Martin (from their and Matthew Sklar's 2018 Broadway musical of the same name)will be out on Netflix on Dec. 11. The ...
|New narrative podcast offers lesbian rocker slice of life
- For audiophiles in search of punk rock tongue-in-cheek lesbian dramedy-driven narrative storytelling, look no further: "Tampon Rock" is here. The podcast, from Anthem and iHeart Radio, focuses on lesbian bandmates Deja and Chloe as they navigate ...
|SHOWBIZ: Awards, 'Bebop,' Andy Cohen, Mariah Carey, Revry 2020-11-23|
- The American Music Awards aired live Nov. 22 and some of the biggest names in music took home awards; Taraji P. Henson hosted. According to CNN.com, Doja Cat won new artist of the year and Becky ...
|MUSICALS 1997 version of Anyone Can Whistle out Dec. 4
- On Sunday, Dec. 4, Jay Records will release a 1997 recording of the musical Anyone Can Whistle, which originally had music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim as well as a book by Arthur Laurents. The production ...
|Jim Verraros: From 'Idol' to now 2020-11-14|
- It may seem just like yesterday when Jim Verraros was among the finalists who performed on the very first season of the reality-competition show with the likes of Justin Guarini and Kelly Clarkson (who won). However, ...
|Theater community to offer online plays, musicals, dance, comedy for holidays 2020-11-10|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL (November 10, 2020)— The Chicago theater community will produce a wide variety of online festive plays, musicals, dance and comedy offerings this Holiday season. Theatre venues in Chicago and across the world remain closed ...
|57th Street Art Fair to return next June 2020-11-10|
- The 74th annual 57th Street Art Fair is slated to return June 5-6, 2021. The free event is the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, featuring nearly 200 artists, live music, kids' activities and a food court. ...
|The African American Arts Alliance announces 2020 Black Excellence Awards
--From a press release - Chicago, ILThe African American Arts Alliance (AAAA) will host the 20th annual Black Excellence Awards, an evening celebrating Black artists, Black voices, and Black stories across artistic disciplines, on November 10, 2020 at 7pm. The 2020 ...
|American Blues Theater to present 19th production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — American Blues Theater will produce its 199h Annual Production of It's a Wonderful Life: Live in Chicago! from Frank Capra's film and directed by Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside with musical direction by Michael Mahler ...
|THEATER REVIEW Being Earnest 2020-10-29|
- Playwright book and lyrics by Paul Gordon, music by Paul Gordon and Jay Gruska At Skylight Music Theatre online at SkylightMusicTheatre.org. Tickets: $25. Runs through Dec. 31, 2020. Two things to remember when proposing to transform a ...
|SHOWBIZ Viola Davis, Tyler Posey, Elton John, Tegan and Sara 2020-10-26|
- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom will premiere on Netflix on Dec. 18, a press release noted. The moviebased on the August Wilson playwill star Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman, Glynn Turman and Colman Domingo. In the film and ...
|'V for Vendetta' at Music Box Oct. 30. includes talk with Wachowski
- The 15th-anniversary theatrical re-release of V for Vendetta, which now includes bonus content—a 13-minute, pre-recorded conversation with director James McTeigue and writer/producer Lana Wachowski—will run at the Music Box Theatre ...
|Jeannie Tanner releases inspirational song, art-inclusive video
- Local singer-songwriter Jeannie Tanner has released her new single and video, "I Wanna Be the Change." According to a press release, the song was inspired by many of the speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ...
|'Jagged Little Pill,' 'Moulin Rouge!' lead Tony nods 2020-10-15|
- The nominations for the 2020 Tony Awards were revealed Oct. 15. The Alanis Morissette musical Jagged Little Pill led with 15 nominations, earning at least one nomination in every eligible category (including six for the show's ...