WINDY CITY TIMES
||Feminist group to host pro-choice rally
From a press release
This article shared 4786 times since Thu Jan 14, 2016
CHICAGO: Chicago-based feminist organization FURIE is hosting a pro-choice rally in downtown Chicago on January 17th. The event counters March for Life, the annual anti-abortion rally near the anniversary of Roe vs. Wade. FURIE members plan to counter-protest the anti-abortion event, in addition to drawing attention to growing clinic violence and efforts to defund reproductive healthcare.
The FURIE event comes nearly two months after the deadly shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado, the alleged gunman of which has recently proclaimed anti-abortion beliefs. FURIE members say activism on these issues is especially expedient, as Republican candidates repeat misinformation about abortion, and state and national bills continue to attempt to defund Planned Parenthood.
"In addition to the lack of access to affordable abortion and other reproductive healthcare services nationally, the right of working families to raise our children is also under attack," said longtime FURIE member Lauren Bianchi, citing recent cuts to Illinois childcare subsidies and ongoing community violence.
Included in FURIE's list of demands is free publicly funded childcare, free reproductive healthcare including prenatal care, health screenings, and contraception, and zero cuts to women's healthcare, childcare, and public education in the 2016 Illinois State Budget.
This article shared 4786 times since Thu Jan 14, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|WORLD Germany's compensation, Lyra McKee, LGBTQ Afghans, tennis player 2021-09-19|
- Germany has compensated almost 250 people who were prosecuted or investigated under a Nazi-era law criminalizing homosexuality, according to euronews. By September, 317 people had applied for compensation for their ...
|'Homophile' organization New Gay Liberation Front launches 2021-09-13|
- The New Gay Liberation Frontwhich described itself in a press release as a "homophile organization"has launched. "Homophile" is a term that was used by some gay and lesbian groups in the 1950s. According to the University ...
|Constand breaks silence about Bill Cosby 2021-09-07|
- Bill Cosby accuser Andrea Constand is breaking her silence to NBC News about the comic/actor's release from prison two months ago, Deadline noted. In a brief clip, Constand tells Kate Snow she "was really shocked ...
|PASSAGES Pioneering lesbian business owner Susan Mazer dies 2021-09-04|
- Susan Mazer died August 31 due to COVID-19 complications. She was 77. At the time of her death, Mazer was living in Port Saint Lucie, Florida with her wife Janet Norton. Mazer was born May 10, ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|TENNIS U.S. Open to celebrate Pride on Sept. 1 2021-08-28|
- Rainbow flags will be flying at the USTA (United States Tennis Association) Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Wed., Sept. 1, as the USTA celebrates and welcomes the LGBTQ+ community to the first-ever Open Pride ...
|Report features eight Illinois child-welfare agencies working with HRC Foundation 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, released a new report ...
|ART 'Frida Kahlo: Timeless' extended to Sept. 12 2021-08-26|
- "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," hosted by the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA) and the McAninch Arts Center (MAC) at the College of DuPage (COD), has been extended an additional week to Sept. 12. To date, "Timeless" ...
|WORLD Trapped in Afghanistan, lesbian pioneer, anti-gay crimes, Valencia's bid 2021-08-22|
- Among the Americans trapped in the suburban areas of Kabul, Afghanistan, under Taliban control was Josie Thomas, 32, a transgender government contractor for the U.S. State Department and former U.S. Air Force Sergeant, The Washington Blade ...
|COMEDY Cameron Esposito at The Den on Oct. 2 2021-08-17|
- The Den Theatre will present out comedian Cameron Esposito Saturday, Oct. 2d at 8 pm on The Heath Mainstage, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave.. Esposito is a standup comic, actor and writer who has appeared across television ...
|GLAAD highlights how Olympians used Tokyo Games to call for LGBTQ acceptance 2021-08-11|
--From a press release - (August 11, 2021) GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is highlighting how this year's historic number of out LGBTQ athletes repeatedly stood ...
|LGBTQ women's music event 'Still Rising' on Aug. 21 2021-08-12|
- Still Risingfor LGBTQ women DJs, producers, promoters and their allieswill take place Saturday, Aug. 21, at Epiphany Center for the Arts, 201 S. Ashland Ave. There will be a mixer, workshops and, of course, music at ...
|NATIONAL Biden nominees, San Diego crime, HRC, Fox News contributor 2021-08-08|
- President Joe Biden reappointed out lesbian Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum as a commissioner of the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), which is an advisory post pertaining to issues of religious freedom, Gay City News reported. ...
|MUSIC Marie Osmond talks Sound of Music, Ravinia, lesbian daughter [UPDATE] 2021-08-05|
- The multitalented performer Marie Osmond continues to hit milestones in her more than five-decade-long career. She became a country music star with a cover of "Paper Roses" and then took over television with Donny & Marie, ...