||Fantasia at the Alhambra Palace
by Steve Starr
This article shared 7683 times since Fri Feb 1, 2008
Fantasia ( right ) with guest Dr. Amer Rustom.
Fantasia Barrino was born June 30, 1984, in High Point, N.C., and began singing in church at just five years old. Simon Cowell told the 2004 American Idol winner that he felt she was the very best singer of all the 70 performers that had been crowned in every one of the worldwide competitions. In 2005, her biography, Life Is Not A Fairy Tale, was published and in 2006 the book was made into a film directed by Debbie Allen. Fantasia made music history when she became the very first artist to ever debut at number one with her first single, I Believe, written by former American Idol contestant Tamyra Gray. In 2007, she joined the cast of Oprah Winfrey's The Color Purple, playing Celie to the acclaimed delight of critics and audiences.
On Dec. 18, 2007, the very amiable, sweet and talented Fantasia wowed the dazzling crowd at Chicago's Alhambra Palace, 1240 W. Randolph, where she performed for dozens of luminaries that included television anchors Robin Robinson and Art Norman; members of the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team; models; producers; photographers; and social arbiters who mingled for hours while celebrating George Reynolds' birthday amid the opulence of the gorgeous enclave. Reynolds, the always friendly and smartly dressed owner of the venerable George's Music Room, has helped launch the careers of various hip-hop and R&B performers, and everyone, including Fantasia, showered him with attention and admiration.
Photo by Steve Starr
Steve Starr is the author of Picture Perfect-Art Deco Photo Frames 1926-1946, published by Rizzoli International Publications. A photographer, writer, designer and artist, he is the owner of Steve Starr Studios. His new book, STARRLIGHT-Glamorous Latin Movie Stars of Early Hollywood is to be published in 2008.
Starr's column, STARRLIGHT, appears regularly in various publications including IMAGE Chicago Magazine, Entertainment Magazine Online-EMOL.org/reporters/Starr, the Windy City Times, Extra! and the Chicago Art Deco Society Magazine . Visit www.SteveStarrStudios.com where you can enter The Starrlight Room.
STARRGAZERS-Radiant Photography by Steve Starr is available for portraits and events. Phone 773-252-5171. E-mail email@example.com . Photo of Steve Starr in Chicago, Sept. 2, 2006, by Patrick Hipskind
This article shared 7683 times since Fri Feb 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alum, PBS series, LGBT film, concert series, Bad Bunny 2020-05-18|
- Openly gay American Idol alum David Hernandez has premiered his new song"Sorry"and the accompanying music video, a press release noted. "Sorry" is described as "a metaphoric letter to those David has hurt in the past as ...
|'Skates' debut pushed to April 23 2020-03-12|
- Hit Her with the Skatesa musical starring American Idol couple Diana DeGarmo and Ace Younghas pushed its world premiere of the Chicago production at the Royal George Theatre, 1641 N. Halsted St., from Wed., March 18, ...
|Billy Masters 2019-05-08|
- "There's a whole lot of sins that will keep you out of the kingdom of God. Here's just a sample: Sexually immoral can't get in; idolaters can't get in; adulterers can't get in. Men who practice ...
|City Winery's December shows: Macy Gray, more 2018-11-28|
- Singer Macy Gray and former American Idol finalist Kris Allen are among those slated to perform at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., in December. Graywhose signature raspy voice is featured in "I Try," one of ...
|David Hernandez,'Idol' alum on new CD, recovery and self-love 2018-10-22|
- American Idol finalist David Hernandez's new self-released Kingdom: The Mixtape shows a great maturity from 2011's I Am Who I Am. While it explores depression, substance abuse and frustrations with the music industry, Kingdom also celebrates ...
|Bowersox, Mizrahi at City Winery 2018-10-06|
- Former American Idol finalist Crystal Bowersox and actor/fashion designer/singer Isaac Mizrahi will be performing at City Winery, 1200 W. Randolph St., Oct. 8. Bowersox will perform songs her latest album ...
|Under Review: Transgender airman inspired by grandfather's service weighs future 2017-11-10|
From an ABC press release - Sterling Crutcher grew up idolizing his grandfather, and he said his desire to join the military was shaped in part by years of hearing his stories. "He was always a big proponent of the military," Crutcher ...
|CONCERT REVIEW Gaga breaks glass ceiling at Wrigley Field 2017-08-30|
- Even when Lady Gaga releases mediocre music, she knows how to sell it live. Part of the fun is showing up to see how she will do just that. Whether playing one song for Windy City Gay Idol's talent competition in ...
|Local author/historian Owen Keehnen out with two new novels 2017-07-31|
From a press release - Local author/historian Owen Keehnen has recently published two new novels, The Matinee Idol and Love Underground. Both books are available at online sources as well as at Unabridged Books (3251 N. Broadway) for $16. Silent era ...
|American Idol's Rayvon Owen joins Simply Sensational Benefit 2016-10-24|
From a press release - Chicago — The entertainment line-up for PFP's Simply Sensational Benefit gets more and more sensational each day, with American Idol's Rayvon Owen joining in. Other performers include Nancy Hays, Honey West, Kevin ...
|NIghtspots: The Big To-Do 2016-06-08|
Our weekly picks to plan your nightlife calendar - Pride Idol semifinal Wed., June 8, 8-10 pm The Glenwood, 6962 N. Glenwood Ave. It's a sing-off to decide who moves on to the finals. Contestants include James Sims III, Stacey Lee Spears, Aaron Smith, Paul ...
|NIGHTLIFE: Sidetrack, Scot's, The Glenwood, Miss Continental Elite and Plus 2016-03-30|
- Sidetrack Windy City Cycling Club's fundraising Easter Bonnet party, Easter Sunday., March 27. Photos by Jed Dulanas Scot's Easter really went to their heads, Easter Sunday., March 27. Photos by Rick Bejlovec The Glenwood Pride Idol, ...
|Nightspots: The Big To Do 2016-03-23|
Nightspots weekly picks to help you plan your nightlife calendar - Pride Idol: Premiere event Wed., March 23, 8 pm The Glenwood, 6962 N. Glenwood Ave. First night of this 14-week competition, taking place each Wednesday and featuring poetry/spoken word, storytelling, comedy, vocal/karaoke and live band. Ultimate ...
|NUNN ON ONE: MUSIC 'Good Times' with Carly Rae Jepsen 2016-02-24|
- Singer Carly Rae Jepsen started independently after coming in third on Canadian Idol but her little song "Call Me Maybe" exploded, selling more than 18 million singles. Before you can say "one-hit wonder," the next song"Good ...
|MUSIC Singer Greg Holden talks 'American Idol,' 'Boys in the Street' 2015-09-01|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Scottish-born singer-songwriter Greg Holden has taken center stage in his career due in part to the song "Boys In The Street." The song tells the story of a father who, at first, denounces his gay son, ...