||FOR THE HALSTED CHILDREN ...
This article shared 2666 times since Wed Jul 18, 2012
We Are Halsted: Show Support With Showtunes, a variety show that benefits homeless youth in the queer community, will be held Wed., July 25, 7 pm at Sidetrack.
Performers donating their talent include Jeff-nominated Jayson Brooks (lead singer from JC Brooks and The Uptown Sound,) Jess Godwin ( www.JessGodwin.com ), Sharriese Hamilton and host Benny Stardust (Steamwerkz: The Musical, Windy City Gay Idol). The night will also include a silent auction. Proceeds will benefit The Night Ministry's queer homeless shelter The Crib.
We Are Halsted was organized in the summer of 2011 in response to rising numbers in queer homeless youth. 26 percent of LGBTQ youth were kicked out of their homes when they came out (that's over a quarter of LGBTQ youth). Queer youth are seven times more likely to be victims of crime and three times more likely to engage in survival sex. There are 15,000 homeless youth in Chicago and up to 40% of them identify as queer.
The July 25 show will be the third edition of We Are Halsted and is organized by its creator Adam Guerino and the creator of Over The Rainbow, Jimmy Kays.
Collage of entertainers by Jayson Brooks
This article shared 2666 times since Wed Jul 18, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|GLSEN holds Respect Awards in New York 2022-05-17|
- On May 16, the pro-LGBTQ+ education organization GLSEN held its New York Respect Awards in Gotham Hall. At its first in-person Respect Awards in three years, the organization introduced new Executive Director Melanie Willingham-Jaggers in their ...
|Judge blocks part of Alabama law criminalizing care for trans youth 2022-05-14|
- On May 13, U.S. District Judge Liles Burke blocked part of an Alabama law that made it a felony to prescribe gender-affirming puberty blockers and hormones to transgender minors, USA Today reported. ...
|Texas court okays child-abuse inquries into families of trans kids 2022-05-13|
- On May 13, the Texas Supreme Court unanimously cleared the way for the state child-welfare agency to resume investigating parents and doctors who provide gender-affirming care for trans youthactions Gov. Greg Abbott has equated to child ...
|Judge: Dallas hospital must start gender-affirming treatment for trans youth 2022-05-12|
- In Texas, Dallas County Judge Melissa Bellan temporarily removed all barriers for transgender youth seeking medical treatments from Children's Medical Center Dallasproviding a major win for doctors fighting to restore ...
|Florida schools censoring students even before Don't Say Gay law goes into effect 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - TALLAHASSEE, FL As the school year ends, students across Florida are experiencing the inevitable censorship of Florida's anti-LGBTQ Don't Say Gay law recently signed by Governor DeSantis. The law's harmful impacts are not limited to ...
|LGBTQs 4X more likely than non-LGBTQs to choose a college away from home 2022-05-11|
-- From a press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law conducted in collaboration with the Point Foundation, the nation's largest LGBTQ scholarship fund, finds LGBTQ people were four times more likely than non-LGBTQ people ...
|Queer college salutatorian plans to help community through food 2022-05-10|
- Back in March, Jose Cueva got an unexpected phone call from the president of Kennedy-King College: Cueva's perfect 4.0 GPA meant he would be graduating as salutatorian. "I was in shock; I wasn't expecting that," Cueva ...
|DoJ files suit challenging Alabama's trans youth law 2022-05-02|
- The U.S. Justice Department (DoJ) filed a complaint alleging that Alabama's controversial law banning gender-affirming care for youth is unconstitutional, according to AL.com. In the complaint filed in federal court ...
|WOMEN'S SOCCER U.S. team dominates; Houston coach suspended 2022-04-28|
- The U.S. U-17 Women's Youth National Team finished first in Group G at the 2022 Concacaf Women's U-17 Championship with a convincing 5-0 win against Costa Rica to take another step closer to qualifying for the ...
|NATIONAL Missouri lawmaker, Michigan controversy, gymnasts, Julius' Bar 2022-04-24|
- A lawmaker in Missouri delivered an intense condemnation of one of his Republican colleagues over an effort to keep transgender athletes out of youth sports, HuffPost reported. State Rep. Ian Mackey (D), who is gay, issued ...
|Kane County high school 'promposal' criticized as racist 2022-04-19|
- A recent promposal involving students at Kane County's Central High School has been criticized as racist, ABC 7 Chicago reported. A photo of the promposal that's being shared on social media shows two teens holding a ...
|CircEsteem's youth-led 'Spring Circus' on May 7, 14 and 21 2022-04-15|
- CircEsteem's Spring Circus is back in-person for the first time since 2019. The CircEsteem Spring Circus will take place on May 7, 14 and 21 at CircEsteem, 4730 N. Sheridan Rd., at 2 and 6 p.m. ...
|HRC Foundation launches inaugural 'LGBTQ+ School Inclusion Efforts' report 2022-04-12|
-- From a press release. Video below - WASHINGTON, DCToday, the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the educational arm of the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization released the 2021 Annual Report from ...
|Youth Outlook's Joliet/Lockport drop-in center to open April 19 2022-04-11|
- Youth Outlookwhich offers safe, supportive and affirming services for LGBTQ+ youth, their families, and the communityannounced that its newest drop-in center, for those in Joliet/Lockport, will open Tuesday, April 19. ...
|HRC condemns Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey for first bill to impose criminal penalties on providers of gender-affirming care for youth 2022-04-08|
-- From a press release - MONTGOMERY Today, Governor Ivey signed Senate Bill 184, legislation passed in the final hours of the session by anti-equality legislators, is the first in the nation to impose felony criminal penalties on medical professionals who offer ...