WINDY CITY TIMES
||FLXST opening exhibit featuring artists of color on Feb. 13
This article shared 869 times since Sat Feb 6, 2021
FLXST Contemporary, 2251 S. Michigan Ave.a fine arts and photography gallery as well as an arts incubatorwill open its first 2021 group show, "Against Impossibility," on Saturday, Feb. 13, with a reception at 5:30 p.m.
The show will run through Sunday, March 28.
Among the featured individuals are LGBTQ artist Mas Man Millar as well as Siena Smith. Also included are international artists Weiyang Gao (China), Latifa Alajian (Kuwait) and Alexis de Chaunac (France and Mexico).
"Against Impossibility" brings together these five emerging contemporary artists who work across the mediums of sculpture, fibers and textiles, mixed media, and painting.
Due to COVID-related precautions, reception attendance and viewing is by appointment only and can be booked on the TOCK app. For more information on FLXST Contemporary, visit www.exploretock.com/flxstcontemporary/event/259293/art-opening-reception-group-show-against-impossibility or www.flxst.co/ .
This article shared 869 times since Sat Feb 6, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Most states are considering anti-transgender bills
- Legislators in more than half the states are debating bills to limit access to sports or medical care for transgender people, according to an article by The Hill. Across the nation, at least 35 bills have ...
|LGBTQ heroes postage stamp campaign launched 2021-03-02|
--From a press release - San Diego, CA: The United States oldest LGBTQ organization; the International Imperial Court System (IICS) of the United States, Canada, and Mexico (founded in 1965), and the oldest LGBTQ civil rights organization; the National LGBTQ Task ...
|Sisters in Cinema brings back Learn & Earn Program: Sisters in Cinema Newsroom 2021-03-02|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL- Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago-based 501 (c)3 recently in the news for breaking ground on their new Media Arts Center, is proud to announce the return of their Sisters in Cinema Newsroom Program, and ...
|Chicago soccer team holding anthem contest
- The Chicago-based soccer club Edgewater Castle FC (ECFC) is holding a competition for Chicago musicians, artists and composers to write its new club anthem. According to a press release, "The anthem will be sung by players ...
|PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53 2021-02-19|
- Maya Kali Evans (formerly Curtis O. Love)—a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphia—passed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53. ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|Court Theatre premieres spotlight podcast highlighting Black writers 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces the online premiere of its Spotlight Podcast. A key component of Court's community ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|Stage Left Theatre announces new Literary Manager 2021-02-13|
--From a press release - Stage Left Theatre is delighted to announce Bobbi Masters as our new Literary Manager. She is an artist/educator with a passion for new work who has been involved in various phases of new play development throughout ...
|ART 'Immersive Van Gogh' extended through Sept. 6 in Chicago
- Lighthouse ArtSpace Chicagoa new venue within Chicago's recently renovated landmark Germania Club Building, 108 W. Germania Pl.will extend the dates of the U.S. premiere of the art experience "Immersive Van ...
|Man charged with vandalizing Ald. Lopez's office
- A man has been charged with spray-painting the office of Chicago Ald. Raymond Lopez, according to a Chicago Sun-Times item. Antonio Torres, 28, of the 3900 block of South Artesian Avenue, was arrested and charged with ...
|Groundbreaking ceremony held for Sisters in Cinema Media Arts Center 2021-02-09|
- Sisters in Cinema held a press conference Feb. 8 at the South Shore Cultural Center to commemorate the construction of its new state-of-the-art Media Arts Center that will be at 2310 E. 75th St. The event, ...
|Howard Brown, museum partner for no-cost COVID testing in Pilsen
- Howard Brown Health and the National Museum of Mexican Art (NMMA) have announced a partnership to provide no-cost COVID-19 testing in Pilsen. The new testing site will be embedded inside the NMMA, 1852 W. 19th St., ...
|WORLD Turkish items, Gibraltar couple, lesbian lawmaker dies, Australia 2021-02-07|
- In Turkey, four students were arrested over artwork that reportedly depicted LGBT rainbow symbols alongside an image of a sacred Islamic site, the BBC reported. Students at Bogazici University in Istanbul have been protesting against the ...
|Comics: CAKE postponed to 2022
- The Chicago Alternative Comics Expo (CAKE) has been postponed to 2022. In an open letter, organizers stated, "While we are encouraged that the State of Illinois has, as of this writing, administered COVID-19 vaccine doses to ...