WINDY CITY TIMES
||FDA allows abortion pills to be sent via mail
This article shared 553 times since Thu Dec 16, 2021
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced Dec. 16 that it is lifting a requirement that patients seeking medication abortion had to pick up the medication in personand allowing pills to be sent by mail, CNN.com reported.
The move comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is seemingly poised to undo its abortion rights precedent.
Relaxing the federal restrictions on medication abortion is one thing the Biden administration could do to mitigate the fallout from a Roe v. Wade reversal. However, red states are already planning to counteract what the federal government has opted to do.
Medication abortion, in which a pregnancy is ended in a two-pill process, has become a prevalent approach to terminating a pregnancy. The FDA first approved the drug mifepristonewhen coupled with the drug misoprostolfor abortion use in 2000. The use of the method has steadily grown and it now makes up more than half of the abortions that occur before nine weeks into pregnancy, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation.
This article shared 553 times since Thu Dec 16, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Abortion Rights Panel marks 49th anniversary with demand to defend historic Roe v Wade 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — To commemorate the 49th anniversary of Roe v Wade, a diverse national panel of speakers will demand that the U.S. Supreme Court uphold Roe, defending 50 years of legal abortion, and that supporters mobilize ...
|Bishops approve paper that falls short of denying Communion to pro-choice Biden 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - On Nov. 17, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops voted overwhelmingly to approve a document that fell short of refusing Holy Communion to President Joe Biden or others who support abortion rights—something conservatives in the Church ...
|Appeals court reinstates Texas abortion law 2021-10-09|
- On Oct. 8, a federal appeals court put a temporary hold on a judge's order that had blocked Texas' six-week abortion ban, CNN.com reported. Just two days earlier, U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman issued an order ...
|Federal judge blocks strict Texas abortion law 2021-10-07|
- On Oct. 6, U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman issued an order blocking the state's six-week abortion ban, according to Texas Lawyer. Pitman, of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, granted the department's request for ...
|New Supreme Court session: Religion dominates 2021-10-04|
- First in the spotlight as the U.S. Supreme Court begins its new session Monday (October 4) is the seemingly precarious state of the right to abortion, an issue LGBT groups have long considered to be of ...
|Defend Abortion Access marches/rallies planned across Illinois Oct. 2 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — A coalition of more than 20 progressive organizations, supporters, and providers of reproductive health care are holding "Defend Abortion Access" events across Illinois on Saturday, October 2, in response to the Texas abortion ban ...
|NATIONAL Danica Roem, 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,' abortion appeal, Lambda Legal 2021-09-26|
- Transgender Virginia legislator Danica Roem is facing a conservative marriage-equality opponent and former Trump administration member in her re-election race this November, Yahoo! News noted. Roem, a Democrat, was elected to the House of Delegates in ...
|Chicago pro-choice activists outraged by SCOTUS' refusal to overturn Texas abortion ban 2021-09-03|
--From a multi-organization press release - Calling it a blow to women and all abortion rights supporters nationwide, coalition calls for reversal of the Texas Law SB8, and demands "No Abortion Bans Anywhere: Not Now; Not Ever! Defend Roe!" Several Chicago groups ...
|Law banning abortions after six weeks is now set in Texas 2021-09-01|
- Legislation banning abortions after about six weeks is now the law in Texas, effectively ending Roe v. Wade protections in the state, NPR reported. Late on Sept. 1, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to block the law. ...
|U.S. Sen. Warnock to headline Personal PAC's annual luncheon 2021-07-19|
--From a press release - U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Georgia) is slated to be a featured speaker at the Personal PAC 28th Annual Awards Luncheon on Wed., Oct. 20. The event will take place virtually and feature several pro-choice leaders. More ...
|Attorneys general challenge Tennessee abortion law
- A group of 20 attorneys general filed an amicus brief in a case challenging a Tennessee law that requires women to have two in-person appointments at least 48 hours apart before having an abortion, The Hill ...
|Removing "Global Gag" will benefit millions of women worldwide, leaders comment 2021-01-28|
--From press releases - On Jan. 28, President Joe Biden signed a presidential memorandum that will reverse restrictions on abortion access domestically and abroad imposed and expanded by the Trump administration, CNN.com reported. ...
|WORLD Honduran Congress, deportation, Canadian support, athlete comes out 2021-01-24|
- On Jan. 21, members of the Honduran Congress voted to amend the constitution, making it much harder to reverse existing hard-line bans on abortion and same-sex marriage, as lawmakers double down on socially conservative priorities, Openly ...
|Hyde Amendment included in House LHHS Appropriations Bill, NCLR responds 2020-07-08|
--From a NCLR press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today, the U.S. House of Representatives introduced the Labor, Health and Human Services (LHHS) Appropriations bill that includes the Hyde Amendment, which bars programs from Federal agencies ...
|Pro-LGBTQ groups respond to SCOTUS ruling on Louisiana abortion law 2020-06-29|
- On June 29, the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) ruled five to four (with Chief Justice John Roberts siding with the liberal contingent) to block a controversial Louisiana abortion law in the case June Medical Services v. ...