||Event Celebrates Facets of Hispanic Culture
This article shared 2346 times since Sun Oct 1, 2006
To close Hispanic Heritage Month ( Sept. 15-Oct. 15 ) , the International Latino Cultural Center of Chicago, Azúcar Enterprises and Verizon Wireless will present 'Vive la Hispanidad' on Oct. 13 at Galleria Marchetti, 825 W. Erie, 7 p.m.-12 a.m. The event is meant to celebrate the professional leadership, art, literature, cuisine and folklore representative of the Hispanic community and culture in Chicago.
Maggie Daley, Chicago's First Lady, is the chair of the honorary committee for the event. Among others on the committee are U.S. Congressman Luis Guiterrez, Chicago Alderman Richard Munoz and Mujeres Latinas en Acción President Maria Pesqueira.
Patrons will be treated to an art exhibit that will showcase the works of such artists as Alejandro Romero ( Mexico ) and Montserrat Alsina ( Venezuela ) . There will also be exotic cuisine from various eateries, including Brazzaz ( Brazil ) and Coco ( Puerto Rico ) .
For more information about this unique event, call 312-346-3343 or e-mail email@example.com .
This article shared 2346 times since Sun Oct 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Co-founder of LGBTQ Latinx organization reflects after decades of activism 2021-10-12|
- When activist Julio Rodriguez was 5 years old, a teacher forced him to stand up in class and choose another name—maybe John, she suggested, since people couldn't pronounce "Julio." By the time he got home, he ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...
|Latin Restaurant Weeks taking place in Chicago Oct. 4-18 2021-09-28|
- National Hispanic Heritage Month takes place Sept. 15-Oct. 15, recognizing the many contributions of Hispanic Americans. As an effort to acknowledge the successful influences and cultures of Hispanic Americans, Latin Restaurant Weeks, LLC, will host its ...
|Latinx Humanist Alliance, American Humanist Association hosting activism training 2021-09-27|
- The Latinx Humanist Alliance and the American Humanist Association, in partnership with the Midwest Academy, are hosting a virtual grassroots activism 101 training on Friday, Oct. 1, 4-5:30 p.m. CT; and Saturday, Oct. 2, 1-2:30 p.m. ...
|Report: 2.3M Latinx LGBT adults live in the U.S. 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that an estimated 2.3 million adults in the U.S. identify as Hispanic or Latino/a and LGBT. Researchers found that Latinx LGBT people fare ...
|THEATER 'American Mariachi' at Goodman on Sept. 18-Oct. 24 2021-09-05|
- Goodman Theatre is running American Mariachia new comedy about the freedom to dream big, written by Jose Cruz Gonzalez, directed by Goodman Resident Artistic Associate Henry Godinez and presented as part of Chicago Latino Theater Alliance's ...
|Mental health of Black and Latinx LGBQ people worsened after the 2016 presidential election 2021-08-26|
--From a Williams Institute press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law finds that the mental health of Black and Latinx LGBQ people declined in the 17 months following the 2016 presidential election of Donald ...
|Filmmakers debut Latinx-centered pandemic documentary 2021-08-06|
- Community members gathered at Chicago History Museum (CHM) July 22 for the debut of the locally produced documentary Seguimos Aqui: Pride, Pandemic and Perseverance as well as a conversation with that film's primary collaborators. Seguimos Aqu ...
|Chicago photographer, activist Ed Negron dies [UPDATED] 2021-07-24|
- Ed Negron—an activist, Army veteran and substance-abuse counselor who served for many years as a dedicated bisexual volunteer, mentor, leader and advocate in the LGBTQ, Latino and recovering communities—passed away ...
|Local film about Latinx community and COVID to screen July 22 2021-07-12|
- On Thursday, July 22, at 6 p.m., the Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., will host a screening of the film Seguimos Aqui. This documentary tells four unique stories of the impact of COVID on ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...
|WORLD Historic ruling, Pope Francis, photo contest, Methodist Church 2021-07-04|
- In a first-of-its-kind decision in Latin America, The Inter-American Court of Human Rights found the Honduran state guilty of the extrajudicial execution of transgender activist Vicky Hernandez, which occurred June 28-29, 2009, according to The Washington ...
|DANCE Joffrey Academy seeking submissions from minority applicants for competition 2021-06-01|
- The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, has announced a national call for ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab and Native American) artists to submit applications for The Joffrey Academy's Twelfth Annual Winning ...
|Becoming Johanna to air on WTTW 2021-05-31|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL: Becoming Johanna, a compelling story that follows the struggles transgender teens face every day, airs Friday, June 25th at 8:30pm on WTTW (11.1 channel). The film follows Johanna, a 16-year-old transgender Latina, as she ...
|Illinois Latino Agenda issues statement on shooting of Adam Toledo 2021-04-15|
--From a press release - On March 29, 2021, 13-year-old Adam Toledo was shot and killed by a Chicago police officer. Since the shooting, there have been different narratives formed of who Adam Toledo was. Various media have made allegations saying ...