WINDY CITY TIMES
||ELECTIONS 2020 PRIMARY ELECTION Oberweis wins, will face Underwood
This article shared 1541 times since Sat Mar 21, 2020
Even though the 2020 Illinois primary took place March 17, dairy magnate and state Sen. Jim Oberweis was not declared the winner of the GOP race in the state's 14th Congressional District until March 20, The Hill reported.
Now, he will face off against incumbent Democratic U.S. Rep. Lauren Underwood in November. In 2018, she flipped a GOP-held seat to win.
Windy City Times has noted that Oberweis has taken a nunber of anti-LGBTQ actions. For example, in 2013, he spoke at a gathering of anti-marriage equality supporters. However, in 2014, he claimed that his thoughts on the subject had shifted, saying in an electoral debate against U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin that he would support a federal marriage equality law. Oberweis said, "The court has said that that's approved. I don't think there's any argument over it any longer, so at this point I would want to say 'yes.'"
This article shared 1541 times since Sat Mar 21, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ald. Maria Hadden encourages community to be active participants 2021-10-18|
By Cris Villalonga-Vivoni - AIt was Chicago Ald. Maria Hadden's friends who convinced her to run for city council as the 49th Ward's alderperson. Originally from Columbus, Ohio, Hadden moved to Rogers Park 20 years ago after graduating from The ...
|Lightfoot, Chicago to celebrate WNBA champion Chicago Sky Oct. 19 with parade, rally 2021-10-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — The City of Chicago will celebrate the 2021 WNBA Champion Chicago Sky on Tuesday, Oct. 19, with a downtown parade and rally. The parade will begin at 11AM when the team departs from Wintrust ...
|Colin Powell dies from COVID-19 complications 2021-10-18|
- Colin Powellthe first Black U.S. secretary of state, whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape the country's foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century and the early years of the 21stdied from ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|Activists speak about former Chicago Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ legacy 2021-10-14|
by Max Lubbers - LGBTQ+ advocates reflected on former Chicago Mayor Harold Washington's legacy at Center on Halsted Oct. 13, discussing his role in the city's Human Rights Ordinance and outreach to the LGBTQ+ community. A display of 1980s Windy ...
|Rosa Escareno named interim head of Chicago Park District 2021-10-13|
- Former Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) Commissioner Rosa Escareno has been named the interim general superintendent and CEO of the Chicago Park District. In an Oct. 13 statement, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot ...
|President Biden appoints Debra Shore to key EPA position 2021-10-12|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today President Joe Biden appointed former LGBTQ Victory Institute board chair Debra Shore to be the next Region Five Administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency — representing six states in the Midwest and ...
|WORLD Japan politics, video games, lesbian tennis player, Mr. Gay World 2021-10-10|
- LGBTQ+-rights activists were hoping Japan would finally allow same-sex marriage if Taro Kono, who has publicly supported same-sex marriage, became the country's next prime minister—but their hopes were dashed. Japan's ...
|Chicago Park CEO resigns amid sexual-harassment scandal 2021-10-10|
- On Oct. 9, Chicago Park District CEO and General Superintendent Michael P. Kelly announced his resignation amid a controversy over sexual harassment and abuse, WGN-TV reported. Kelly released a statement to the public and Board President ...
|Activist Rick Garcia seeks to be MWRD commissioner 2021-10-09|
- Longtime LGBTQ- and human-rights activist Rick Garcia announced he is running for the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (MWRD), and has asked Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker to appoint him to the seat Debra Shore is vacating to ...
|Homophobic comments from N.C. lieutenant governor surface 2021-10-08|
- Controversy is swirling around North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson after video surfaced of what he said at a June event, according to ABC11.com. There's no reason anybody anywhere in America should be telling any child ...
|Toni Preckwinkle addresses security incidents 2021-10-08|
- Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle released a statement regarding two recent situations connected with her security detail. "In the past few months, there have been two separate incidents when members of my Executive Detail have ...
|Report: Debra Shore to run EPA's Midwest operations 2021-10-07|
- Debra Shore—a longtime commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District and member of the LGBTQ+ community—will be selected to run Midwest operations for the Environmental Protection Agency, according to Politico. ...
|Report: Older LGBTQs lack access to healthcare, financial security, caregiving 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago — LGBTQ older adults across Illinois are struggling to get the healthcare, financial security and caregiving support they desperately need, according to a new report from AARP Illinois and SAGE released today. The disparities, outlined ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...