||ED for ALMA
This article shared 3010 times since Fri Apr 1, 2005
Carlos Castillon, long-time Association of Latin Men In Action [ ALMA ] member, volunteer and former board member, has been hired as the agency's first executive director. Castillon comes from the private sector but has been involved in the LGBT community since he moved here from Mexico.
Castillon was responsible for starting ALMA's successful program called 'Amigos Apoyando Amigos,' a support group for gay, bi and questioning men.
Castillon has worked on a number of community projects, educational programs and fundraising events on behalf of ALMA. And the board is excited and confident that he will be an even greater asset in his new role as the executive director to both the organization and the Latino LGBT community.
ALMA will be hosting a reception to welcome Carlos and new board members at High Risk Gallery, 1113 W. Belmont in Chicago on Friday April 29, 6 to 9 p.m., light Hors d'oeuvres and cash bar, limited parking, free admission but space is limited.
RSVP at 773-929-7688. www.almachicago.org .
This article shared 3010 times since Fri Apr 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Photos of Chicago's Daniel Sotomayor included in new Smithsonian exhibit 2022-06-22|
- The Smithsonian's first gallery dedicated to Latino history and culture has opened its doors to the public at the National Museum of American History, NBC News noted. Billed as a precursor to a national Latino museum ...
|Gay Latino techie Michael Sayman talks about his inspiring book, 'App Kid' 2022-04-17|
- Michael Sayman is a key figure in Silicon Valley, having worked at Instagram, Google and, now, Twitter. However, he stands out in many ways. The twentysomething Sayman—an openly gay Latino—was only in his teens when he ...
|NATIONAL Mayor makes history, LGBTQ+ Latinx demo, fashion show, N.C. law 2022-03-20|
- In Florida, Boynton Beach elected its first out LGBTQ mayoras well as the first Asian-American mayor in the state's history, LGBTQ Nation noted. Ty Penserga not only won the election, but he beat a homophobe who ...
|Joffery Academy's 'Winning Works' returns, features four world premieres 2022-02-24|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO – Feb. 23, 2022 – The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, presents four world premieres in the culmination of Joffrey’s national call for ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab and Native American) a ...
|ALMA looking to hire executive director 2022-02-10|
- Association of Latinos/as/xs Motivating Action (ALMA) co-founder and Board President Julio Rodriguez announced that, after more than 30 years as a volunteer-led organization, it will be hiring its first full-time ...
|ALMA showing LGBTQ+ COVID documentary Feb. 13 2022-02-04|
- On Sunday, Feb. 13, ALMA (Association of Latino/as Motivating Action), in collaboration with the Chicago History Museum program OUT at CHM, will show the documentary Seguimos Aqui (We Are Still ...
|Gerber/Hart hosts Amigas Latinas virtual conversation 2022-01-31|
- Gerber/Hart Library and Archives (Gerber/Hart) hosted a virtual conversation with former Amigas Latinas leaders Evette Cardona, Mona Noriega (who were co-founders) and Lourdes Torres (a board member) Jan. 29. Queer ...
|SAVOR Uvae 2021-12-27|
- The Andersonville spot Uvae (5553 N. Clark St., and which has the full name Uvae Wine Bar & Fromagerie), unsurprisingly, gets its name from the Latin word for "grapes." And guests might even expect many wine-related ...
|Virtual discussion about Amigas Latinas to take place Jan. 29 2021-12-24|
- A virtual discussion about the now-defunct but groundbreaking organization Amigas Latinas will take place Saturday, Jan. 29, at 2 p.m. Amigas Latinas founders Mona Noriega and Evette Cardona, and former Amigas Latinas board member Lourdes Torres ...
|CDC study shows Black and Latinx LGBTQ+ men remain most affected by HIV/AIDS 2021-12-22|
- A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) showed Black and Latinx gay and bisexual men continue to be more affected by HIV/AIDS than white members of the LGBTQ+ community. Howard Brown ...
|Advocates: Black, Latinx trans women vulnerable to violence; holistic approach needed 2021-12-08|
Trans Omnibus Project - At least 48 trans or gender-nonconforming (TGNC) people have been murdered in the United States in 2021, making it the deadliest year on record for that demographic, according to the Human Rights Campaign. Most of the ...
|Chile's political houses approve marriage equality by landslide margin 2021-12-08|
- Chile approved marriage-equality legislation in a landslide vote on Dec. 7, NPR reported. Both houses of Chile's Congress authorized the measure with overwhelming majorities, making it the eighth Latin American country to allow same-sex marriage, as ...
|VIEWS Google and Chicago's segregated LGBTQ+ community 2021-11-19|
- I was a little baby queer when I moved to Chicago last year. I come from a traditional, cookie-cutter Connecticut town where Vineyard Vines and Sunday school were the standards. So, for a LatinX queer person who ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago awards grants to Black- and Latinx-led organizations 2021-11-12|
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has awarded eight grantstotaling $72,000to BIPOC-led organizations working to address the HIV/AIDS crisis in Black and Latinx neighborhoods across Chicago. The grants came from AFC's Learning ...
|LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic 2021-10-29|
- As part of its COVID-19 Grand Rounds series, AIDS Foundation Chicago hosted an Oct. 26 panel featuring LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers sharing how the pandemic has impacted their personal and professional lives. Panelists included Howard Brown ...