WINDY CITY TIMES
||Duran Duran puts on a show at House of Blues
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
This article shared 2823 times since Wed Apr 27, 2011
The English '80s band Duran Duran hit the House of Blues stage in Chicago over the weekend. Nick Rhodes graced the stage first and took pictures of the crowd with his iPad throughout the evening, keeping the "Girls On Film." Bass guitarist John Taylor then followed and amped up the screaming cougars in the front row. Some of the ladies had waited since 6 a.m. to greet their favorite pop icons.
Singer Simon Le Bon led off with the song "Planet Earth," which set the tone of things to come. "Hungry Like the Wolf" came next and described the eager fan's appetites for more classics. The "Notorious" boys seemed to be having a good time and worked the audience like old pros. They chose such hits and rarities as "Chauffeur" "Girl Panic" and "Ordinary World" to complete the set. "Careless Memories" from their 1983 self titled album is almost never heard live but was presented here for the lucky listeners.
" ( Reach Up for the ) Sunrise" had the audience members raising their arms with a spectacular light show that woke everyone up with "Rio" right after.
The encore brought "Reflex" out of the mothballs, closing with credit and solos from each member of this historic band. Even with a two hour set Duran Duran could have played double that with such an extensive catalogue.
Word on the street is that they will return in the fall, hopefully playing in a bigger venue since they sold out the House in only 10 minutes.
Pioneer Mark Ronson produced the new album All You Need Is Now, which has breathed new life into the group without abandoning its signature sound. Visit www.duranduran.com and iTunes to hear the latest collaboration with the new and old wave. Photos and text by Jerry Nunn
This article shared 2823 times since Wed Apr 27, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|CIFF, featuring LGBTQ+ films, running through Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- North America's longest-running competitive film festival, this year's event expands throughout Chicago with presentations at venues across the city, including at AMC River East 21; the Music Box Theatre; the Gene Siskel Film Center; special drive ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|'Tapping into Ca$h' : CaSera Heining lives double life as DJ Ca$h Era and radio producer 2021-10-14|
- Minutes before DJ Ca$h Era hosted Lollapalooza's first drag show, the Black queer woman behind the stage name was pacing nervously behind the scenes and listening to a drag queen animatedly remind her they were "making ...
|MUSIC Janis Ian's last Chicago concert May 14 2021-10-13|
- In what is being advertised as her last concert in Chicago, LGBTQ singer Janis Ian will be performing at the Old Town School of Folk Music, 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at 8 p.m. Tickets ($48-$50) will ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|Lyric Opera running seven performances of 'The Magic Flute' Nov. 3-27 2021-10-11|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is running seven performances of The Magic Flute, Mozart's final opera, on Nov. 3-27. There will be performances at 7 p.m. on Nov. 3; matinees on Nov. 7, 11, 14 and 17, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' winners, Playboy, punk band, The Dinah, Daniel Craig 2021-10-10|
Video below - As part of VH1's #LGBTQHerstoryMonth project, five winners from the RuPaul's Drag Race winner's circle—season one's BeBe Zahara Benet, All Stars 4 winner Monet X Change, season 11 winner Yvie Oddly, season 12 victor Jaida Essence ...
|Madonna's latest concert film, Madame X, now out 2021-10-09|
- The concept film to Madonna's acclaimed Madame X Tour has debuted in the United States Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada exclusively on Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS. Fans outside these markets can watch ...
|Book about musician Tori Amos' works coming out 2021-10-07|
- The book Tori Amos: every album, every songby rock journalist Lisa Toremwill be out in the United States on Friday, Oct. 29, courtesy of Sonic Bond Publishing. In 1992, Amosan acclaimed singer, pianist and composerachieved fame ...
|MUSIC Rachael Sage at Uncommon Ground on Oct. 14 2021-10-06|
- Rachael Sagedescribed as an "award-winning singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist and member/supporter of the LGBTQ+ community"will perform at Uncommon Ground-Lake View, 3800 N. Clark St., on Thursday, Oct. 14, at 8 p.m. ...
|Opera singer Ketelson to give Center on Halsted performance 2021-10-05|
- World renowned bass-baritone opera singer Kyle Ketelsen will perform Italian arias at the Center on Halsted to raise funds both to support his alma mater, Clinton (Iowa) High School (Vocal Department) and Care for Real Pantry ...
|Pride Fest sees rainbows over rain 2021-10-05|
- After last year's COVID-related cancellation, the LGBTQ+-focused outdoor affair Pride Fest returned to Lake View after a delay of a few months, as it usually takes place in June. An additional full day was added to ...
|R. Kelly found guilty of racketeering 2021-09-27|
- On Sept. 27, a federal jury in Brooklyn convicted embattled R&B singer R. Kelly of racketeering by a federal jury in Brooklyn, the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York said, according to ...
|THEATER 'Moulin Rouge!,' gay play 'The Inheritance' win top Tonys 2021-09-27|
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical was the runaway winner at the Tony Awards on Sept. 26, snagging 10 awards. Among its honors were Best Musical, Best Performance By an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical ...
|MOVIES 24-hour horror marathon at Music Box on Oct. 23-24 2021-09-24|
- "The Music Box of Horrors," sponsored by CreepyCo., will return to the Music Box Theatre, 3733 N. Southport Ave., from noon on Saturday, Oct. 23 through noon on Sunday, Oct. 24. The event will include special ...