WINDY CITY TIMES
||Drury Lane Theatre presents Hairspray
From a news release
This article shared 2504 times since Fri Apr 6, 2012
Oakbrook Terrace, Ill. —HAIRSPRAY, the Tony Award-winning musical The New Yorker called "Exhilaratingly funny!"will be presented at Drury Lane Theatre, 100 Drury Lane, previewing April 12, opening April 19, and running through June 17, 2012. HAIRSPRAY is directed and choreographed by Jeff Award winner Tammy Mader, who served as the Director and Choreographer for Drury Lane Theatre's critically acclaimed Buddy: The Buddy Holly Story, and the Choreographer of Drury Lane Theatre's Spamalot, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Gypsy. The all-star cast is led by Lillian Castillo as "Tracy Turnblad;" Michael Lindner as "Edna Turnblad" (National Tour of Mamma Mia! and Drury Lane Theatre's Ragtime); Felicia Fields as "Motormouth Maybelle" (Tony Award nominee for Best Featured Actress inThe Color Purple on Broadway); Tim Kazurinsky as "Wilbur Turnblad" (Saturday Night Live); Erik Altemus as "Link Larkin" (The Fantasticks Off-Broadway); Holly Lyn Laurent as "Amber" (National Tour of Rock of Ages) and Jon Michael Reese as "Seaweed J. Stubbs" (When Last We Flew at New York International Fringe Festival).
Based on the 1988 John Waters cult classic film, HAIRSPRAY ran for 2,500 performances on Broadway and won eight Tony Awards including Best Musical in 2003. The production also won eleven Drama Desk Awards, including Outstanding Musical, in 2003, as well as the Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Musical in 2007. HAIRSRPAY also inspired the Golden Globe-nominated 2007 blockbuster film starring John Travolta. The New York Times raved that "If life were everything it should be, it would be more like HAIRSPRAY. It's irresistible!" and the New York Post enthused "A great big fat gorgeous hit!" The production features music by five-time Oscar nominee Marc Shaiman, lyrics by Scott Wittman, and a book by Mark O'Donnell and Thomas Meehan. The upbeat score includes rhythm and blues and oldies-inspired songs You Can't Stop the Beat, Welcome to the 60's, and Hairspray.
Set in 1960's Baltimore, HAIRSPRAY is the exuberant story of big-hearted, pleasantly plump teen Tracy Turnblad, who does whatever it takes to fulfill her lifelong dream of appearing on the popular Corny Collins Show. Can this plus-size trendsetter vanquish the program's reigning princess, win the heart of handsome Link Larkin, and integrate a television show without denting her fabulous 'do? This feel-good musical is a glorious celebration of following dreams and standing up for what's right.
HAIRSRAY also stars Joshlyn Lomax as "Little Inez;" Rebecca Pink as "Penny;" Holly Stauder as "Prudy Pingleton" (Gypsy at Drury Lane Theatre); Jeff Award winner Rod Thomas as "Corny Collins" (White Christmas at Marriott Theatre and Sugar at Drury Lane Theatre); Keely Vasquez as "Velma Von Tussle" (Barry Manilow's Music and Passion in Las Vegas); and Jeff Award nominee George Andrew Wolff as "Harriman F. Spitzer" (Sweeney Todd and Ragtime at Drury Lane), The ensemble features Christopher Carter; Andrea Collier (Gypsy at Drury Lane Theatre and the 2010 National Tour of Hairspray); Jeff Award-nominee Dina DiCostanzo (Grand Hotel at Drury Lane Theatre Water Tower Place); Jackson Evans (Spamalot at Drury Lane Theatre); Reneisha Jone'ne Jenkins (The Wiz at Theatre at the Center); Tiffany Johnson; Alex McCrary as "Brad;" Amy Orman (Music Theatre Company's Merrily We Roll Along); Nelson Green as "Stooie;" Thomas Ortiz; Travis Porchia (Boho Theatre Company's Pippin); Carly Robinson; Sawyer Smith; and Sean Walton (Hot Mikado at Drury Lane Theatre). Alexis J. Rodgers, Lisa Estridge (2012 Kevin Kline Award nominee for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Musical for her performance in Beehive), and Donica Lynn (Aida at Drury Lane Theatre) star as the "Dynamites."
The 1960s are brought to vibrant life with a set by Marcus Stephens (Hot Mikado at Drury Lane Theatre), lighting by Charlie Cooper (Curtains at Drury Lane Theatre) and Costume and Wig Design by Kurt Alger of Maine State Music Theatre. Ariane Dolan serves as Assistant Choreographer, Props Design is by Joel Lambie, Sound Design is by Jeff Award winner Ray Nardelli, and Musical Direction is by Jeff Award winner Malcolm Ruhl.
The performance schedule is as follows: Wednesdays at 1:30 p.m. ($35), Thursdays at 1:30 p.m. ($35) and 8 p.m. ($40), Fridays at 8:30 p.m. ($45), Saturdays at 5 p.m. ($45) and 8:30 p.m. ($46) and Sundays at 2:00 p.m. ($45) and 6 p.m. ($40). Lunch and dinner theater packages range from $49.75 to $68 depending on the day of the week. Student tickets start as low as $20 and Senior Citizen tickets start as low as $30 for matinees and $44.75 for a matinee luncheon package. For reservations, call the Drury Lane Theatre box office at 630.530.0111, call TicketMaster at 800.745.3000, or visit www.drurylaneoakbrook.com .
This article shared 2504 times since Fri Apr 6, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Peppermint barks while Broadway bangs, and all the other dish to start the week 2022-11-28|
- "I love Broadway. I love what they do—Broadway Cares, but I also want to say the show is extraordinary!" —Nicole Kidman's impromptu speech after bidding $100K to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for Hugh Jackman's hat after ...
|New York theaters bounce back: Four shows ask questions about identity 2022-11-22|
- All theater critics worth their salt should take a bite of the Big Apple now and then, savoring the bright lights of Broadway and a soggy slice of what passes for pizza. On my first visit in nearly three years, Broadway ...
|Gay man to head Chicago Latino Theater Alliance 2022-11-15|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced the appointment of Jorge Valdivia as its new executive director, according to the Lawndale News. Valdivia's previous position was director of performing arts at the National Museum of Mexic ...
|Theater Review: Porchlight's Rent is a winner 2022-11-09|
By Jonathan Abarbanel - Title: Rent. Playwright: Jonathan Larson (book, music, lyrics) At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center. Tickets: 773-777-9884; PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; $25 and up. Runs through: Dec. 11 From its 1996 premiere ...
|Mister International Rubber takes the stage at Center on Halsted, Riviera Theatre 2022-11-07|
- The MIR26 (Mister International Rubber) competition took place at the Center on Halsted and the Riviera Theatre over the Nov. 4-6 weekend. Pusckatt Pumera Onyx won the competition. The event was co-emceed by Lucy Stoole and ...
|SHOWBIZ Gay racer, GALECA, Lena Waithe, 'Chicago,' LGBTQ+ films 2022-11-06|
- Gay motorsports racer Zach Herrin made his long-awaited debut in a NASCAR-affiliated race in Phoenix, The Advocate noted. "I know I have a lot of eyes on me, and all I want to do is get out there and blur everything ...
|SHOWBIZ Nathan Lane, gala, Beyonce, Kevin Aviance, Henry Cavill, Shania 2022-10-30|
Video below - Nathan Lane is returning to Broadway this winter to star in the debut run of Pictures of Home, per The Hollywood Reporter. Based on the photo memoir by Larry Sultan of the same name and adapted ...
|Young trans playwright queers Shakespeare in new production 'Malapert Love' 2022-10-29|
- The Artistic Home will debut Malapert Love on Nov. 5-Dec. 11 in Wicker Park at The Den Theatre's Upstairs Mainstage, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave. The gender-bending, Shakespearean romantic comedy was written by 18-year-old Siah Berlatsky, who's ...
|THEATER 'The Golden Girls' holiday special Nov. 26-Dec. 30 2022-10-27|
- Hell in a Handbag Productions is in The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, The Obligatory Holiday Special, playing Nov. 26-Dec. 30 at The Hoover-Leppen Theatre at The Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. Dorothy, Rose, ...
|'Cirque Dreams Holidaze' to take place Dec. 22-24 2022-10-26|
- Cirque Dreams Holidaze is set to dazzle Chicago audiences with a Broadway-style production infused with contemporary circus arts. The production will play for six performances on Dec. 22-24 at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 Ida B. Wells ...
|16th Street Theater to close at the end of the year 2022-10-26|
- The board of Berwyn's 16th Street Theater announced that the award-winning, nationally acclaimed Equity theater company will close at the end of 2022. A statement read, "For 15 inspiring seasons, plus two years of the pandemic, ...
|Cody Estle to step down as Raven Theatre artistic director 2022-10-24|
- Raven Theatre's board of directors announced that Cody Estle will step down as the company's artistic director at the end of November. Estle has been the company's artistic leader since 2017. He will join Milwaukee's Next ...
|Five Worth Finding: COVID book, 'Wicked' cocktails, 'A Taste of Hope' and more 2022-10-24|
- —COVID-19, the LGBTQIA+ Community and Public Policy: As studies emerge to help us understand the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on every facet of modern life, it is critical that the effect of the pandemic on ...
|Chicago Theatre Week 2023 to take place Feb. 16-26 2022-10-21|
-- From a press release - ChicagoChicago Theatre Week (#CTW23), an annual celebration of the rich tradition of theatergoing in Chicago during which visitors and residents can access value-priced tickets, will take place Feb. 16-26, 2023. ...
|'Lady Day,' 'Rock of Ages' part of Mercury Theater Chicago's 2023 season 2022-10-21|
-- From a press release - Chicago — Mercury Theater Artistic Director Christopher Chase Carter, Managing Director Kristi J. Martens and Executive Producers L. Walter Stearns and Eugene Dizon announced the 2023 Mercury Theater Chicago season ...