WINDY CITY TIMES
||Doc10 Film Festival returns and includes LGBTQ+ features
This article shared 635 times since Fri May 21, 2021
Chicago Media Project (CMP) announced the full slate of films being showcased at the annual Doc10 Documentary Film Festival, returning June 17-20.
The festival will feature socially distanced, COVID-responsible in-person presentations, drive-in screenings and virtual programming.
The 10 feature films will include three documentaries with LGBTQ+-specific content. Ailey looks at the life of visionary Black choreographer Alvin Ailey; My Name Is Pauli Murray is about the title subjecta feminist non-binary Black civil-rights lawyer, poet and priest; and Pray Away examines the controversial "pray the gay away" movement.
This year, Doc10 will open with a drive-in screening of Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson's Summer of Soul (...Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised), winner of the Sundance Film Festival's Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award. The film documents the Harlem Cultural Festival in the summer of 1969just 100 miles from Woodstock.
The closing-night film is Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain, a look at the life of the late storyteller, explorer and chef Anthony Bourdain, directed by Oscar winner Morgan Neville. Focus Features will release the film this summer.
Doc10 will run at the Davis Theater, 4614 N. Lincoln Ave., and at the Pilsen Drive-In, 2343 S. Throop St.. Tickets are $17.60 for in-theater screenings and $40-$50 per car for drive-in screenings. There is a 10% discount for students, seniors, military, and frontline workers.
See doc10.org .
This article shared 635 times since Fri May 21, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|MOVIES 'Truman & Tennessee' opening July 2 at Music Box
- The film Truman & Tennessee: An Intimate Conversation will open Friday, July 2, in physical and virtual theater in Chicago at Music Box Theatre. Actors Zachary Quinto and Jim Parsons make voiceover contributions in the film ...
|MUSIC 'Miley Cyrus Presents Stand by You' airing June 25
- Peacock announced that the concert event Miley Cyrus Presents Stand by You will stream Friday, June 25 in celebration of Pride Month. The hour-long concert event, filmed in Nashville, will feature multi-platinum recording artist, songwriter and ...
|Sisters in Cinema presents Sister Outsider Juneteenth Celebration 2021-06-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL- Sisters in Cinema, a Chicago-based 501(c)3 recently in the news for breaking ground on their new Media Arts Center, Is inviting all to participate in their inaugural Sister Outsider: Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June ...
|Music Box showing LGBTQ movie 'Summer of '85' on June 25
- Music Box Theatre & Music Box Films, 3733 N. Southport Ave., will present out gay writer/director Francois Ozon's French love story Summer of '85, theatrically in 35mm, on Friday, June 25. Adapted by Ozon from Aidan ...
|Siskel Film Center to reopen Aug. 6
- After closing its doors March 14, 2020 due to COVID-19, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago's (SAIC) Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 N. State St., will reopen for in-person screenings Friday, Aug. 6. With ...
|Seb throws Carlos a quinceanero on 'High School Musical: The Musical: The Series' 2021-06-10|
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is a streaming television show on Disney+ inspired byyou guessed it!the High School Musical film series. It is set in East High School and has a unique storyline with ...
|Jay Españo named Artistic Director of PrideArts, planning 2021-22 season 2021-06-03|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Jay Espano, a Chicago actor, director, and filmmaker whose theater training includes education in The Philippines as well as an MFA from Chicago's Columbia College, has been named Artistic Director of PrideArts. Cheri Tatar, ...
|New queer comedy series revisits the women's bathroom 2021-06-02|
- Gal Pal Presents recently premiered a new comedy web series, titled Stalled, which aims to capture the gay nightclub women's restroom scene that you may have experienced, but may have flushed out of memory. The five-episode ...
|Becoming Johanna to air on WTTW 2021-05-31|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL: Becoming Johanna, a compelling story that follows the struggles transgender teens face every day, airs Friday, June 25th at 8:30pm on WTTW (11.1 channel). The film follows Johanna, a 16-year-old transgender Latina, as she ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Love, Victor,' R.E.M., Cher, HIV film, Jane Lynch 2021-05-23|
- The Holy teen dramedy series Love, Victor returns June 11, as season two finds a newly out of the closet Victor entering his junior year at Creekwood High, a press release noted. This season, Victor faces ...
|FILM Lesbian Bar Project, Jagermeister collaborate on documentary 2021-05-20|
- Following the success of The Lesbian Bar Project PSA and fundraising campaign in 2020, The Lesbian Bar Project and Jagermeister's #savethenight initiative will premiere a documentary short that aims to bring greater awareness to the remaining ...
|SHOWBIZ Ben Platt, Cynthia Erivo, Miley Cyrus, 'Halston' series, Pink 2021-05-16|
- Tony winners Ben Platt (Aug. 13) and Cynthia Erivo (Aug. 20) are among the musicians slated to perform during the 2021 Citi Music Series on the Today show, Playbill noted. The series will include in-person concerts ...
|Black Lives, Black Words Int'l Project, Writers Theatre to premier Ride Share 2021-05-13|
--From a press release - Glencoe, IL— Black Lives, Black Words co-founders Reginald Edmund and Simeilia Hodge-Dallaway and Writers Theatre Artistic Director Michael Halberstam and Executive Director Kathryn M. Lipuma announce Ride Share, a new ...
|FILM NewFest announces summer film series NewFest Pride 2021-05-13|
- NewFest, New York's leading LGBTQ+ film and media organization, announced programming for NewFest Pride, a new summer film series taking place this year from June 4-7. All film screenings and events will be available virtually to ...
|FILM Tello Films founder starts new production entity 2021-05-13|
- Veteran filmmaker Christin Baker, who launched the successful LGBTQ+, SVOD platform, Tello Films, in 2009the first network dedicated to telling stories featuring and about lesbian/queer womenannounced the launch of a ...