WINDY CITY TIMES
||Doc10 Film Festival returns and includes LGBTQ+ features
This article shared 2119 times since Fri May 21, 2021
Chicago Media Project (CMP) announced the full slate of films being showcased at the annual Doc10 Documentary Film Festival, returning June 17-20.
The festival will feature socially distanced, COVID-responsible in-person presentations, drive-in screenings and virtual programming.
The 10 feature films will include three documentaries with LGBTQ+-specific content. Ailey looks at the life of visionary Black choreographer Alvin Ailey; My Name Is Pauli Murray is about the title subjecta feminist non-binary Black civil-rights lawyer, poet and priest; and Pray Away examines the controversial "pray the gay away" movement.
This year, Doc10 will open with a drive-in screening of Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson's Summer of Soul (...Or, When The Revolution Could Not Be Televised), winner of the Sundance Film Festival's Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award. The film documents the Harlem Cultural Festival in the summer of 1969just 100 miles from Woodstock.
The closing-night film is Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain, a look at the life of the late storyteller, explorer and chef Anthony Bourdain, directed by Oscar winner Morgan Neville. Focus Features will release the film this summer.
Doc10 will run at the Davis Theater, 4614 N. Lincoln Ave., and at the Pilsen Drive-In, 2343 S. Throop St.. Tickets are $17.60 for in-theater screenings and $40-$50 per car for drive-in screenings. There is a 10% discount for students, seniors, military, and frontline workers.
See doc10.org .
This article shared 2119 times since Fri May 21, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Velma officially a lesbian in new 'Scooby Doo' movie 2022-10-05|
- Confirming what many in the LGBTQ+ community already knew, the animated character Velma has officially come out as lesbian. Clips from the brand-new Prime Video movie Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo! that show the Mystery Inc. member ...
|MOVIES 'Bros' stumbles at box office 2022-10-02|
- The Billy Eichner/Luke Mcfarlane same-sex romantic-comedy film Bros made history with its LGBTQ+ cast being in a big-budget movie—but, unfortunately, it fizzled at the box office. The Paramount horror movie Smile debuted to a sizzling $22 ...
|SHOWBIZ Hallmark film, Oprah, Janelle Monae, 'Dahmer,' Met Gala 2022-10-02|
- As a part of its "Countdown to Christmas" event, Hallmark Channel announced its first holiday movie that focuses on a gay romance, according to Out. The Holiday Sitter will be released on Sunday, Dec. 11, on ...
|WORLD Fertility strategy, trans youth charity, French PM, Mexican spots 2022-10-02|
- The British government committed to a 10-year strategy to end discrimination against "female same-sex couples" seeking fertility services, according to Human Rights Watch. The first-ever Women's Health Strategy for England ...
|More special guests announced for Chicago International Film Festival 2022-09-29|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, Illinois (September 28, 2022) — Today, the Chicago International Film Festival announced new guests and details for its 58th edition, running October 12 - 23, 2022. Film screenings and programs will take place at theaters ...
|REELING Billy Eichner and Luke Macfarlane on their big-budget LGBTQ+ movie 'Bros' 2022-09-25|
- The new movie Bros could prove to be a very important movie in LGBTQ+ culture this year. This gay romantic comedy is directed by Nicholas Stoller, who co-wrote the script with Billy Eichner. Stoller and Eichner ...
|SHOWBIZ Cardi B, Sam Smith, 'Wednesday' series, Sean Hayes, Serena 2022-09-25|
Video below - Cardi B clapped back at someone on Twitter who declared her a celebrity who "came out as bisexual but never dated someone of the same gender," per Out Magazine. The tweet,—featuring pictures of Cardi, Grimes, Lady ...
|National AIDS Memorial releases 'The Black Community & AIDS' 2022-09-23|
- The National AIDS Memorial has released its latest mini-documentary, "The Black Community & AIDS," the seventh film in its oral history project. "The Black Community & AIDS" chronicles the personal stories of nearly two dozen survivors ...
|REELING Producer, co-director talk about the 'International Male' documentary 2022-09-23|
- Back in 1976, Gene Burkard (influenced by what he saw in Europe) created and sold the "Jock Sock" out of his San Diego shop. That sartorial invention led to the emergence and popularity of International Malea ...
|MOVIES 'Scrooge & Marley' coming to digital, 10th-anniversary DVD 2022-09-21|
- On digital for the first time, and available in a 10th-anniversary DVD, the classic Chicago-made LGBTQ+ holiday comedy Scrooge & Marley is coming this October from Dark Star Pictures. An adaptation of Charles Dickens' 1843 novella ...
|MOVIES 2022 Reeling Film Festival reviews 2022-09-21|
- Universal Pictures must have felt guilty about opening Bros, touted as "the first gay rom-com released by a major studio," i.e., aimed at a general audience (What about The Birdcage or In and Out?) opposite the ...
|AIDS organization honors actors Farrell, Ralph and Theron 2022-09-19|
- On Sept. 15, The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation (ETAF) honored actors Sheryl Lee Ralph, Charlize Theron and Colin Farrell with the Elizabeth Taylor Commitment to End AIDS Award at The Elizabeth Taylor Ball to End AIDS ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Watermelon Woman,' 'Dragula,' Indigo Girls, 'Dahmer' series 2022-09-18|
Video below - Cheryl Dunye shared a photo on Facebook confirming that her 1996 groundbreaking lesbian-themed film Watermelon Woman is now officially part of the National Film Registry Library. According to the library's website, some of the other movies ...
|WORLD Malta PM, Kenya official, Kharkiv Pride, sex-education campaign 2022-09-18|
- Malta Prime Minister Robert Abela has promised reforms for the country's LGBTQ+ community, including free gender-affirming surgery for trans people, according to PinkNews. In an interview with ONE Radio, he said, "I believe that social reform ...
|Actress/singer/advocate Lynda Carter honored at National Museum of Mexican Art 2022-09-18|
- On Sept. 17, iconic actress, award-winning producer and accomplished singer Lynda Carter received the prestigious Sor Juana Legacy Award from the National Museum of Mexican Art. In a sold-out lunch and interview program held in the ...