WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 3644 times since Wed Apr 14, 2010
Hollywood may have literally been over two hours away from the Palm Springs Convention Center April 3, but it was figuratively right there. Celebrities involved in the action at the 20th-anniversary celebration of Club Skirts The Dinah included comedienne Suzanne Westenhoefer, Billy Myers, God-Des & She, the Atlanta cast of Lovers and Friends, Salt-N-Pepa, Nikki Caster and other hot LGBTQ talent.
Walking into the Palm Springs Convention Center, one could not help but notice the outstanding effort taken to decorate the lobby in true Hollywood fashion. Large flat-screen televisions were mounted on the wall. The Hollywood sign was against one of the main walls as the perfect backdrop. The only thing missing was the walk of fame … although the red carpet was a fantastic substitute.
Salt-N-Pepa were on the main stage at the Hollywood Party and did not disappoint after a nearly 10-year hiatus. Singing their old favorites, "Shoop," "Push It," "Let's Talk About Sex" and other hits, Salt-N-Pepa had the crowd on their feet with every rap and rhyme. Kicking off their comeback tour at Club Skirts The Dinah, Salt-N-Pepa even stuck around after the show for a special meet-and-greet appearance with select fans.
And then there was the White Diamonds party. As if the 20th anniversary of Club Skirts The Dinah wasn't fabulous enough with all of the hottest lesbians in entertainment under one roof, Ke$ha took the stage just past 11 p.m. April 2. Held at the Palm Springs Convention Center, the White Diamonds Party was the steamiest ticket in town. Ke$ha ( known for her single "Tik Tok" ) served as Club Skirts The Dinah's headlining act. ( Previous headlining talents included Katy "I Kissed a Girl" Perry and the Disco Stick Diva herself, Lady Gaga. ) If the aforementioned ladies are any indication, Ke$ha may have a very long and successful road ahead of her.
Walking the red carpet earlier in the evening were LGBTQ celebrities Meredith Baxter, Suzanne Westenhoefer, The L Word's Sarah Shahi, Paradiso Girls, Nikki Caster, Billie Myers and Club Skirts The Dinah ringleader Mariah Hanson, among others. The Palm Springs Convention Center was draped in white to celebrate the theme of the evening. Some guests pumped their arms to the music in the auditorium while others enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere in the lobby. Either way, everyone had a blast as the party went into the wee hours of Saturday morning. Text by Sarah Toce; Windy City Times photos by Stephanie Brusig and Sarah Toce
This article shared 3644 times since Wed Apr 14, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|The group Stud 4 Life celebrates Pride 2022-06-30|
- Local social club Stud 4 Life celebrated Pride on Chicago's South Side. On June 25, members held their Saturday Car Parade. A celebration followed at the Wild Blossom Winery, 9030 S. Hermitage Ave. Wanda B. started ...
|Asians & Friends Chicago hosts former Miss Philippines at pre-Pride Parade event 2022-06-21|
- Asians & Friends Chicago (AFC)—an LGBTQ+ social organization supporting the Asian community and those who have interests in Asian cultures—hosted former Miss Philippines Maria Isabel Lopez at an AFC member's ...
|Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center to open, reuniting historic Stonewall Inn 2022-06-21|
-- From a press release - New York, NY, June 21, 2022 — Pride Live, a social advocacy and community engagement organization for the LGBTQ+ community, today announced plans to open the Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center (SNMVC). Set to be the ...
|Marchers aim to 'reclaim pride,' shed light on issues facing LGBTQ+ community 2022-06-14|
- About a hundred people marched through streets in Lake View on June 12 to call attention to social-justice issues affecting LGBTQ+ people while centering the Black trans community. "Some people don't understand. They're, like, 'Why such ...
|SAVOR Nautical-themed spots Lake House and The Hampton Social; restaurant news 2022-06-03|
- Remember when you had that spacious second lakefront home that you could visit during the summer—dining on seafood and kicking back on those lazy afternoons? Yeah … me neither. However, the Fairmont Chicago has brought the ...
|LETTER Homophobia on The Maze Jackson show 2022-06-02|
- NOTE: Maze Jackson—who hosts"The Most Dangerous Social-Radio Show in Chicago" on weekday mornings at WBGX 1570AM—is the husband of Metropolitan Water Reclamation District President and Cook County assessor candidate Kari ...
|'Stonewall Day' to take place in NYC on June 24; Kesha to headline 2022-06-01|
- Pride Livea social advocacy and community engagement organization for the LGBTQ+ communityannounced that Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Kesha will be the headline performer for Stonewall Day 2022. The legendary Pride event will ...
|Lambda Legal discusses court decisions granting same-sex couples fair access to Social Security benefits 2022-05-27|
- Lambda Legal—a national organization committed to actualizing the rights of LGBTQ+ people through impact litigation, public policy work and education—hosted an event at Sidetrack May 26 discussing its work securing ...
|OUTBermuda hires first-ever executive director 2022-05-26|
- Bermuda's LGBTQ+ advocacy nonprofit OUTBermuda has hired its first-ever executive directorTiffany Paynteras it looks to expand its impact and strengthen its sustainability as a resource. A social entrepreneur and longtime ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|Rally planned during May 11 Biden visit to demand nationwide legalization of abortion 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Organizers and activists from the Party for Socialism and Liberation, Breaking the Chains Magazine, ANSWER Chicago, Code Pink, Make Noize for Change, and others will be rallying on Wed., May 11, at 6 ...
|PASSAGES Playwright/disability-rights activist Susan Nussbaum dies 2022-04-30|
- Susan Nussbauma Chicago playwright, novelist and longtime disability-rights activistdied April 28 at age 68. Nussbaum won the 2012 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Social Engaging Fiction for her novel Good Kings Bad ...
|Kane County high school 'promposal' criticized as racist 2022-04-19|
- A recent promposal involving students at Kane County's Central High School has been criticized as racist, ABC 7 Chicago reported. A photo of the promposal that's being shared on social media shows two teens holding a ...
|Inaugural Trans Visibility Pageant takes place in Chicago 2022-04-03|
- To acknowledge the International Transgender Day of Visibility (March 31), the inaugural "Trans Visibility Pageant: Standing Up to Hate" was held at the Kehrein Center for the Arts. The trans-led social-services organization Life Is Work hosted ...