WINDY CITY TIMES
||Design unveiled for national LGBT veterans' memorial
From a press release
This article shared 3227 times since Thu Jul 24, 2014
The Board of Directors of the National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender ( LGBT ) Veteran's Memorial project is pleased to announce the design of the Monument to be placed in the memorial garden at Historic Congressional Cemetery in Washington, DC.
The monument is simple yet stately and will stand proudly on its site just as those it represents served this country with pride. On each of the three pillars, there will be two of the six service emblems. One will represent the Army and Air Force, another the Navy and Marines, and the third will represent the Coast Guard and Merchant Marines. The pillars will be placed in a triangle allowing space for visitors to walk inside where there is a flag pole and inscriptions explaining the Memorial's meaning and the history behind it.
There is historical, educational, and social value to be served by having a place where the service of LGBT veterans is acknowledged. It will serve to educate others on the sacrifices made by LGBT veterans to secure freedom for all citizens of the United States, and it will provide a place of honor and reflection for LGBT veterans and their families. It is anticipated that it will be the site of wreath laying and various other ceremonies honoring veterans held throughout the year, particularly ceremonies during national holidays such as Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day.
Most of the funding for the project will come from LGBT veterans who want to have their service memorialized by purchasing a paver with their name and service information engraved on it to be placed on the memorial grounds. Or, by donations from those who simply want to see the memorial built. Interment of cremated ashes of eligible veterans within the memorial space is also in the plan should there be a demand for it.
The building of this memorial has been long in coming. For it to become a reality, contributions are needed from LGBT veterans as well as their straight friends and supporters. To make a donation or to purchase pavers, go to the NLGBTVM website at www.nlgbtvm.org . Or to send a check, you may mail it to NLGBTVM, at P.O. Box 780514, San Antonio, TX, 78278-0514 and please provide your email address so your donation may be acknowledged. Questions may be directed to Chair@nlgbtvm.org .
Marty Gunter of San Antonio Texas, Tom Swann of Rancho Mirage CA and Jim Darby of Chicago also serve on the board.
This article shared 3227 times since Thu Jul 24, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|Resolution recognizes 10th anniversary of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" 2021-09-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today, Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), along with Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) and Rep. Chris Pappas (D-NH), lead a resolution to recognize the 10th anniversary of the enactment of the repeal of "Don't Ask, ...
|BOOKS 'Mission Possible' released before 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anniversary 2021-09-20|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), has written Mission Possible: The Story of the Repealing 'Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is the inside story of SLDN, which was ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|VA to offer surgery to transgender vets for the first time
- U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Denis McDonough announced that officials, for the first time, will offer surgeries for transgender veterans seeking to transition, Military Times reported. The move follows ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...
|Pritzker Military Museum hosting June 23 Pride panel 2021-06-09|
- Chicago's Pritzker Military Museum & Library is presenting a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wed., June 23, at noon CT in celebration of Pride Month. The virtual ...
|Chicago LGBT veterans honor the fallen on Memorial Day 2021-05-31|
- The Chicago Chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) honored the fallen on Memorial Day with flowers at the granite monument on Halsted Street and Addison which honors LGBTQ veterans. The monument was commissioned ...
|NATIONAL Military bill, LGBTQ teen, trans deaths, Pride items, children's book 2021-05-09|
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill that directs the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in the Garden State to assist former Armed Forces service members who were denied an honorable discharge due to ...
|Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation Military Appreciation Night May 1 2021-04-30|
--From a press release - The Chicago Blackhawks and the Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, in partnership with USO Illinois and Boeing, will kick off May's National Military Appreciation Month with the team's Military Appreciation Night game on Saturday, May 1 as the ...
|Pentagon reverses Trump-era ban on trans military service, GLAAD responds 2021-03-31|
--From a GLAAD press release - New York, NY - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, celebrates news that the Pentagon will issue ...
|Modern Military Association of America names executive director 2021-02-09|
--From a press release - MMAA is pleased to announce that the board of directors has selected Jennifer Dane as executive director. Jennifer is a U.S. Air Force veteran and has served as the organization's interim executive director since February 2020. ...
|MMAA condemns Cong. Marjorie Taylor Greene's 'Hate American Flags' statement
--From a Modern Military Association of America press release - WASHINGTON Tonight, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization condemns Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene's statement on 'hate Ameri ...
|Biden's repeal of trans military ban impacts over 15,500 adults in the military
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on transgender military service in U.S. Today, President Biden signed an executive order ending the ban on transgender military service. The directive instructs the Department of Defense to reinstate the 2016 ...