WINDY CITY TIMES
||Deputy shoots Virginia gay man 10 times
This article shared 2282 times since Mon Apr 26, 2021
Police in Spotsylvania County, Virginia are under intense scrutiny after a sheriff's deputy gave out Black man Isaiah Brown a ride home after his car broke downonly to return minutes later and open fire, shooting him in the face, LGBTQ Nation reported.
Brown, 32, is currently fighting for his life in the intensive care unit of the hospital after being fired on and shot 10 times.
The violent encounter reportedly began when Brown's car broke down on his way home April 21; a white sheriff's deputy encountered him at a gas station after 2 a.m. and gave him a ride to his home. A source told NBC Washington that Brown was in a dispute with a family member, and "was complaining about his brother." So the same officer that dropped him off returned, less than an hour later.
The deputy mistook a cordless house phone Brown was holding for a gun, David Haynes, his attorney, said in a statement provided to USA Today.
WHSV.com noted that the Spotsylvania County sheriff's office has released the 911 call and bodycam footage of the shooting.
The police shooting happened as the nation grapples with issues like racism and police brutality after former Minnesota police officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murdering George Floyd in 2020.
This article shared 2282 times since Mon Apr 26, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL $1M donation, church departures, Harvey Milk, abortions, Grindr 2022-11-27|
- In Ohio, Dayton-based insurance company CareSource is donating $1 million to United Church Homes to support the development of a senior living facility at the site of the former Longfellow School that will also aim at ...
|The Northalsted Business Alliance makes statement on Club Q Shooting in Colorado Springs 2022-11-23|
-- From a press release - The Northalsted Business Alliance shares its thoughts and prayers with our LGBTQ+ family in Colorado suffering from yet another senseless gun tragedy. We mourn the five lives lost and stand with those injured and traumatized. Violent ...
|OnePulse releases statement on Club Q mass shooting 2022-11-21|
-- From a press release - Orlando, FL — onePULSE Foundation, the not-for-profit established following the June 12, 2016 tragedy to honor and preserve the legacy of those killed and create a sanctuary of hope, today released the following statement: "We are ...
|Chicagoans pay tribute to Club Q victims 2022-11-21|
- Community advocates and political officials were among those who gathered for a candlelight vigil outside Nobody's Darling, 1744 W. Balmoral Ave., the evening of Nov. 20 to remember the LGBTQ+ individuals killed and injured the previous ...
|Equality Illinois on the Club Q shooting 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - Statement from Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, the state's LGBTQ+ civil rights organization, on the Club Q shooting: On a day already marked by sadness, the LGBTQ+ community woke up to the tragic news ...
|Lambda Legal reacts to shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - New York, November 20, 2022 — Lambda Legal CEO Kevin Jennings issued the following statement about the mass shooting at Club Q, the LGBTQ+ nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado: "We mourn with the LGBTQ+ community in ...
|GLAAD responds to mass shooting in Colorado Springs 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY - November 20, 2022) - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is responding to the mass shooting at Club Q in Colorado Springs that killed ...
|HRC responds to fatal shooting at LGBTQ+ nightclub in Colorado Springs 2022-11-20|
-- From a press release - Colorado Springs, CO Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, responded to media reports of a fatal shooting at Club Q in Colo ...
|Five dead after mass shooting at Colorado LGBTQ+ nightclub 2022-11-20|
- At least five people are dead and 18 people were injured after a mass shooting took place at a Colorado Springs LGBTQ+ nightclub late the evening of Nov. 19, according to multiple reports. An unidentified suspect ...
|Tulsa business attacked after hosting drag event, HRC responds 2022-11-03|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Oct. 31, news broke that a business based in Tulsa, Oklahoma, the Donut Hole, was vandalized when someone threw a Molotov cocktail — a hand-thrown incendiary weapon — after hosting an event ...
|Nancy Pelosi's husband violently attacked at home [UPDATE] 2022-10-28|
- Paul Pelosi, the husband of U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, was attacked at the couple's home in San Francisco early on Oct. 28. Drew Hammill, a spokesman for Nancy Pelosi, said the assailant is in custody ...
|Chicago mural of Kanye West painted over in wake of antisemitic remarks 2022-10-27|
- A West Loop mural image of Ye, the artist formerly known as Kanye West, was painted over on Oct. 27, as fallout continued over the Chicago native's recent controversial and antisemitic public statements, The Chicago-Sun Times ...
|WORLD Anti-LGBTQ+ countries, UK monkeypox/MPV, vigil, intersex activist 2022-10-23|
Video below - Thirty-four Commonwealth nations still have anti-LGBTQ+ lawsroughly three-fifths of the group's total of 53 nations, according to Erasing 76 Crimes. Worldwide, 69 countries still cling to such anti-homosexuality laws. Just ...
|LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH Podcast sheds light on forgotten murders of gay men in Montreal 2022-10-22|
- When people ask about or Google the murders of gay men in Montreal in the '90s, it all leads to the podcast "The Village: The Montreal Murders." LGBTQ+-rights advocates encouraged me to listen to the podcast. ...
|Jury sides with Kevin Spacey in Anthony Rapp case [UPDATE] 2022-10-21|
- A New York jury sided with Kevin Spacey in a $40-million civil lawsuit, finding that the Oscar-winning actor did not molest fellow actor Anthony Rapp when the latter was a teenager and is not liable for ...