WINDY CITY TIMES
||Deeply Rooted launches 25th-anniversary season
This article shared 2137 times since Mon Aug 24, 2020
Deeply Rooted Dance Theater ( DRDT )which diversifies the aesthetics of contemporary dance by uniting modern, classical, U.S. and African-American traditions in dance and storytellingannounced initial plans for "Deeply 25: Beyond Dance," a celebration of the company's 25th anniversary season including local, national and international events.
The season will launch Saturday, Oct. 17, 7-8:30 p.m., with "Deeply 25: Beyond Dance...The Celebration Begins," a virtual fundraiser. The event will feature a reflective, cinematic history of DRDT, with video highlights of company performances and interviews that illuminate the company's founding and inspiration, its evolution to the present and its plans for the future under new artistic leadership. Tickets for the full eveningwhich includes the opportunity to interact with DRDT's Artistic Team in a Continuum dialogue following the filmare $150 each; general admission is $25.
Prior to the fundraiser, DRDT will be in several events with important presenters. The 22nd annual JOMBA! Contemporary Dance Experiencean annual festival in Chicago's sister city, Durban, South Africawill run through Sunday, Sept. 6. DRDT's performances will be available on the JOMBA! website ( jomba.ukzn.ac.za ) on Wed., Aug. 26, at noon CDT and Thursday, Aug. 27, at 5 a.m. CDT.
The Chicago Park District's "Night Out in the Parks" has shifted this year to "Your Night Out at Home," featuring select works from Night Out artists from across Chicago. DRDT is scheduled to participate during the week of Sept. 7 with excerpts of Essence, choreographed by guest choreographer Martial Roumain; and Heaven, which Kevin Iega Jeff and Gary Abbott are choreographing. More information will be available at chicagoparkdistrict.com/night-out-at-home.
See DeeplyRootedDanceTheater.org . All programming is subject to change.
This article shared 2137 times since Mon Aug 24, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Hubbard Street Dance back on the stage with 'RE/TURN' 2021-10-21|
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) will present Fall Series: RE/TURN to herald its return to the stage at the Harris Theater, 205 E. Randolph St. The program will feature new premieres as well as audience favorites ...
|MOVIES 'Bolshoi Ballet' series to start locally Nov. 7 2021-10-21|
- The "2021-2022 Bolshoi Ballet in Cinema" series is set to begin Sunday, Nov. 7 with Bolshoi Ballet: Spartacus—LIVE. Spartacus is considered a ballet tour de force, set to Aram Khachaturian's score. Bolshoi Ballet: Spartacus—LIVE is set t ...
|Visceral Dance Chicago bringing world premieres to Athenaeum Theatre 2021-10-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, Oct. 5, 2021 — Visceral Dance Chicago—a contemporary company committed to the progression of diverse artists, programs and community collaborations—announced its Fall Engagement 2021 program. The dance company returns ...
|LGBTQ History Month: Until legal ruling, Disneyland banned same-sex dancers 2021-10-01|
- Deemed the "Happiest Place on Earth," Disneyland sadly didn't live up to that billing for same-sex couples during its first three decades. Opened in 1955 by the late Walt Disney, the family-oriented amusement park was built ...
|Joffrey's Nutcracker returns for the holidays 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - (Chicago) — The Joffrey Ballet's reimagined holiday classic, The Nutcracker, by Tony Award®-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon, returns to Chicago during the Joffrey's first-ever season at the historic Lyric Opera House ...
|DANCE Hubbard Street presenting drive-in edition of 'Inside/Out' Oct. 2 2021-09-23|
- Hubbard Street Dance Chicago will hold its annual "Inside/Out" choreographic workshop, "Drive-In(side Out)," on Saturday, Oct. 2, at 7 p.m. at ChiTown Movies, 2343 S. Throop St., preceded by a welcome party and DJ starting at ...
|Chicago Dance History Project moving to Ruth Page Center 2021-09-17|
- Chicago Dance History Project (CDHP)which investigates, documents and presents the individual and institutional past of Chicago danceplans to move into The Ruth Page Center for the Arts, 1016 N. Dearborn St., as an artist in residence. ...
|Joffrey welcomes four dancers from South Korea, Spain and the U.S. 2021-09-15|
- The Joffrey Ballet's Mary B. Galvin Artistic Director Ashley Wheater MBE, The and President and CEO Greg Cameron announced the addition of four dancers to the Joffrey roster for the 2021-22 season: Brian Bennett (Lanham, Maryland), ...
|DANCE Ensemble Espanol to open Auditorium Theatre season Oct. 16 2021-09-10|
- Ensemble Espanol Spanish Dance Theater, in residence at Northeastern Illinois University, will return to the Auditorium Theatre on Saturday, Oct. 16, at 7:30 p.m. The company will mark the finale performance of its 45th-anniversary "Zafiro Flamenco ...
|Footwork dancers to be featured Sept. 10 in Art on theMART event 2021-09-05|
- "Dance Down by The River"an evening of Chicago dance and musicis coming to the Riverwalk in conjunction with Art on theMART thanks to a Chicago Presents grant awarded by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and ...
|MUSIC Upcoming 'Carmen' featuring queer lead, male drag 2021-09-05|
- On Sept. 16 and 18 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph St., Chicago audiences will have the rare opportunity to hear two world-class dramatic mezzo-sopranos debut new roles opposite one another ...
|TV 'Dancing with the Stars' to feature first same-sex partnership 2021-08-27|
- ABC's Dancing With the Stars will be breaking new ground in the upcoming 30th seasonwith its first same-sex partnership. According to Deadline, on Aug. 26, host Tyra Banks and executive producer Andrew Llinares revealed that the ...
|MUSIC Diplo, Galantis part of Spring Awakening 2021-08-24|
- The organizers of the Chicago electronic dance music (EDM) festival Spring Awakening have added the acts Diplo and Galantis to the Oct. 2-3 event. Spring Awakening will take place in Addams/Medill Park, 1301 W. 14th St. ...
|Joffrey Ballet's "Home: a Celebration" opens inaugural season at Lyric Opera House 2021-08-18|
--From a press release - August 18, 2021 (Chicago) The Joffrey Ballet opens its inaugural season at the Lyric Opera House and marks its return to live performances with Home: a Celebration, a triumphant mixed repertory program that spotlights original ...
|Aug. 12 dance film to explore gender, queerness in South Asian arts 2021-08-03|
- Ashwaty Chennat, a Chicago Dancemakers 2021 Digital Dance grantee, has continued her collaboration with Abhijeet Rane to explore gender, queerness and the body in South Asian arts and traditions. An excerpt of Chennai and Rane's ...
|Legacy Walk plaques added for Pauli Murray, Matthew Shepard|
|Chicago Sky win their first WNBA championship|
|SHOWBIZ Superman, TheWrap, Oscar Wilde, Billy Porter, Cher, 'Dragula'|
|BOOKS Twelfth (and final) 'Boystown' cover revealed|
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV|