WINDY CITY TIMES
||Deep Inside Hollywood
by Romeo San Vicente
This article shared 1713 times since Wed Dec 15, 2004
B.D. Wong Delivers Grace
Actor B.D. Wong has a Tony Award for his role in M. Butterfly, is a published author ( Following Foo ) , co-stars on Law & Order: SVU, and has had supporting roles in big movies like Jurassic Park and Father of the Bride. But what he really wanted to do was direct. And the result of that desire, the upcoming indie romantic comedy Social Grace, is currently in post-production. Starring Queer as Folk's Gale Harold and relative newcomer Fay Ann Lee ( who also wrote the script ) , Grace revolves around the interracial romance between an Asian-American woman and an eligible Caucasian bachelor and the complications their coupling creates. Rounding out the cast is Christine Baranski, The Daily Show's Lewis Black, and Wong's old castmate from his days on All-American Girl, Margaret Cho. The story may be hetero, but Wong is openly gay, and given the lack of Asian gay anything on most multiplex screens, Romeo's got high hopes for this one.
Sundance, Bloody Sundance
Some are big, some are small. Some are competing, some aren't. But what they all share is that they're queer ( many were previously reported on by Romeo ) , and they're going to the Sundance Film Festival, happening right around the calendar corner in January 2005. This winter's competition includes The Dying Gaul, directed by screenwriter-playwright Craig Lucas, and Loggerheads, from Dear Jesse director Tim Kirkman. The bulk of the homo content lives outside of competition, with lesbian director Jenni Olson's experimental The Joy of Life; Don Roos' Happy Endings; Inside Deep Throat, from Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato; fashion photographer David LaChappelle's doc-directing debut, Rize; Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin; and Alice Wu's Chinese-American drama, Saving Face. The lucky—and cold—ticket holders in Park City, Utah, will get to see them first. Meanwhile, the rest of us must wait patiently and hope for good distribution deals that will deliver them to theaters near us.
Coming Out Is Finally Coming Out
Some films projects are rushed into production. Others move more slowly. And sometimes molasses moving uphill wins the race. Such is the case with Coming Out, a feature Romeo first reported on way back in 2001. Readers with razor-sharp memories will recall that Catherine Zeta-Jones was set to produce and co-star in the story of a gay cabaret singer ( Alan Cumming ) hired by his deceased father's rugby team as the unlikeliest of coaches. It's funny, see, because everyone knows that all gays hate sports. In any case, the scrimmage ( that's rugby talk ) is, indeed, still on and slated for a 2006 release with director Joel Zwick ( Fat Albert ) replacing Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen director Sara Sugarman. So let the gay games begin.
The Smiths Back On Stage
Can the feel-bad songs of immensely popular and queer-leaning 1980s band The Smiths translate into a crowd-pleasing stage musical? U.K. audiences are due to find out in the summer of 2005, when Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others opens at London's Lyric Hammersmith Theatre. Early reports from creators Andrew Wale and Perrin Manzer are that Some Girls will differ from traditional musicals: the songs will be arranged for string quartet and sung by a relatively small cast in a loose connection of scenes rather than in a conventional storyline. And there's no word yet on how much Smiths founders Morrissey and Johnny Marr will be involved, if at all. Romeo is excited by the news—but then Romeo was excited about the Kylie Minogue musical, too.
This article shared 1713 times since Wed Dec 15, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Boy Meets Boy,' Jennifer Hudson, 'SVU,' tennis honor, ABBA 2021-09-12|
- Ariztical Entertainment is releasing the German movie Boy Meets Boy on DVD and VOD on Oct. 26. According to a press release, the plot of the 70-minute movie is as follows: "Harry has been partying for ...
|Andersonville Chamber of Commerce to present Andersonville Homecoming 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (August 26, 2021) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce Andersonville Homecoming, a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring live entertainment, local artisans and merchants, food ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|THEATER Proof of vaccination required to attend 'Teatro Zinzanni' 2021-07-29|
- Randolph Entertainment, presenting Teatro ZinZanni in Chicago, announced that it will be requiring all guests older than 12 to show proof of vaccination to attend its dinner and performance. This requirement will apply to all performances ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|Taste of River North on Aug. 20-21 at new location 2021-07-01|
- River North Residents Association today announced that its acclaimed annual food and entertainment festival, Taste of River North, will return for 2021 to celebrate its 20th anniversary. Taking place Aug. 20-21, Taste of River North moves ...
|VISIT Shedd Aquarium has many attractions, one distraction 2021-07-01|
- Nature lovers can rejoice. Shedd Aquarium (1200 S. DuSable Lake Shore Dr., in accordance with State of Illinois and City of Chicago guidelines, has fully reopened. (Guests are still ...
|Pride Journey: Palm Springs 2021-06-10|
- Palm Springs is my happy place. The city and the surrounding area provide me with the perfect mix of relaxation and entertainment. Having been to Palm Springs numerous times prior to this visit, I wanted to ...
|New Streisand album coming out Aug. 6 2021-06-05|
- Columbia Records and Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will present Release Me 2a new collection of 10 previously unreleased studio performances from the legendary Barbra Streisandon Friday ...
|White Party organizer Jeffrey Sanker dies 2021-05-29|
- Gay circuit-party impresario Jeffrey Sanker—owner of the Los Angeles-based White Party Entertainment company—died May 28 after a long battle with liver cancer, the Los Angeles Blade reported. The Blade said ...
|e3radio launches Indiegogo, virtual concert for podcast app by Black, Brown Queer People of Color 2021-05-27|
- June 1, 2021, CHICAGO— In celebration of PRIDE month, E3 Radio (www.e3radio.fm), an online radio station playing Queer and independent R&B/hip-hop music, annouced today the concept launch of 'The Qube,' ...
|ARTS 'Teatro ZinZanni' returning July 8 2021-05-25|
- Teatro ZinZanni is returning to the Chicago Loop with new acts and a unique, immersive dining and live entertainment experience. Its brand-new show begins July 8 in the Spiegeltent ZaZou, located on the 14th floor in ...
|Billy Masters on Lil Nas X, masks and more 2021-05-17|
- "At first I felt a sense of responsibility. But now I kind of just don't care. It's not my job. Of course I want to spread good ideals, but I'm not nobody's parents. At the end of the day, I'm just ...
|GLAAD issues inaugural Social Media Safety Index 2021-05-10|
--From a press release - New York, NY - May 10, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced the findings of its inaugural Social Media Safety Index (SMSI), a 50-page ...