||Dead body found at old Gerber/Hart site
Updated May 4, 2012
by Kate Sosin, Windy City Times
This article shared 5271 times since Wed May 2, 2012
Just one day after Chicago's LGBT library vacated its former Edgewater home, a dead body has been discovered inside the now-former site of Gerber/Hart Library and Archives.
The body is not that of anyone associated with the library.
Rae Ann Cecrle, the building's landlord, confirmed that the deceased is Marcus Smith, a maintenance worker.
According to Chicago Police News Affairs, police received the report of a body inside 1127 W. Granville at 8:16 p.m. May 1.
Spike King, an employee at Gino's North Pizzeria on the same block, said he saw a body on the floor towards the back of the library. A ladder and some tools sat at the front the library, suggesting that maintenance work on the building had been in process.
Cecrle said that Smith had gone home earlier in the day because he was feeling unwell. Smith returned later that evening to do work and apparently suffered a heart attack, she said.
Smith's body was removed from the library just after 9 p.m.
According to Cecrle, Smith had been active in several Egewater projects. He had installed many of the art pieces for "Edgewater Artists in Motion," a community initiative features local artwork in vacant storefronts.
Gerber/Hart library completed its move out of the space April 30. The library is moving to Rogers Park.
This article shared 5271 times since Wed May 2, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Openly gay experimental artist/filmmaker Kenneth Anger dies at 96 2023-05-24|
- Experimental filmmaker and artist Kenneth Anger has died at age 96. According to Variety, his gallerySprueth Magers, operated by Monika Spruth and Philomene Magersconfirmed the news on their website, writing ...
|PASSAGES Chicago cultural and music advocate, poet, educator Diane Gomez 2023-05-18|
- Chicago cultural and music advocate, poet and educator Diane Gomez died May 5 due to complications from cancer. She was 70. Gomez was born September 28, 1952, on the South Side of Chicago to a very ...
|PASSAGES Longtime LGBTQ+ activist and community organizer, former bar owner Marge Summit 2023-05-18|
- Longtime LGBTQ+ activist and community organizer, icon and former owner of the now defunct His n' Hers bar Marge Summit died May 16. She was 87. Summit was born Sept. 3, 1935, on the North Side ...
|WORLD Turkish president, former congressman dies, Polish case, Uganda, sports 2023-05-12|
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan again attacked the country's LGBTQ+ community in a bid to rally his conservative voters before the May 14 election, france24.com noted. Polls showed Erdoganwhose campaign is dealing with an economic crisis ...
|PASSAGES: Real estate agent and former DJ Earl Reid, Jr. 2023-05-10|
- Real estate agent and former DJ Earl King Reid, Jr. died May 1 due to hypertension and arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease. He was 67. Reid was born in 1956 in Chicago, where he lived his entire life. ...
|Chicago theaters hold memorial, will dim lights in honor of Frank Galati 2023-05-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (May 8, 2023) — Several major theatres across the Chicago-area will dim their marquees or lobby lights on the evening of Saturday, May 13, in tribute to late playwright, director, actor and educator Frank Galati, ...
|PASSAGES Former Gay Chicago Magazine entertainment editor Jeff Rossen 2023-04-30|
- Former Gay Chicago Magazine entertainment editor Jeff Rossen died of complications from COPD on April 19. He was 67. Rossen was born Dec. 10, 1955, in Oak Lawn. He spent his childhood and teen years in ...
|PASSAGES: Retired Chicago Fire Department district chief, paramedic Pat Ciara 2023-04-25|
- Retired Chicago Fire Department (CFD) district chief, paramedic and at one time the highest ranking out lesbian in the history of the CFD, Pat Ciara died April 19 of lung cancer in Lake Worth, Florida. She ...
|Lauren Verdich memorial May 20 2023-04-21|
- Celebration of Life for longtime Chicagoan LGBTQ activist and business owner Lauren Verdich will be Saturday May 20, 2023, 12:30-4 p.m., University Club Chicago, 76 E. Monroe. Donations can be sent to Lambda Legal in Lauren's ...
|NATIONAL Trans-rights cases, Brittney Griner, Elton John, law firm, passages, Twitter 2023-04-21|
- The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals plans to meet as a full court to consider a pair of trans-rights cases from West Virginia and North Carolina, NBC News reported. The Richmond-based appeals court said it ...
|PASSAGES Charles "Chuck" Williams was founder of the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity Law, Public Policy 2023-04-18|
- Charles "Chuck" Williamsthe founder of the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Law and Public Policy, a think tank at the UCLA School of Lawpassed away April 11. Williams Institute Executive Director Brad Sears ...
|PASSAGES: Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend and hairdresser Jojo Baby 2023-03-16|
- Visual artist, Chicago nightlife scene drag performer legend, doll-maker and hairdresser Jojo Baby died March 14 of liver, lung and stomach cancer. They were 51. Baby was born April 10, 1971, in Chicago and grew up ...
|World's first transgender MP passes away at 65 2023-03-07|
- On March 6, Georgina Beyera pioneering New Zealand politician who, in 1999, became the world's first openly transgender member of Parliamentpassed away at the age of 65. Beyer's friends said she died peacefully in hospice care, ...
|Passages: Longtime activist Achebe (Betty) Powell passes away 2023-02-23|
- Veteran social justice organizer and educator Achebe (Betty) Powell passed away Feb. 21, according to multiple reports. Powell died of COVID-19 related complications at New York Presbyterian Hospital in Brooklyn, according to a Feb. 22 statement ...
|PASSAGES: LGBTQ and HIV/AIDS activist, retired business owner Lauren Verdich 2023-02-16|
- Longtime LGBTQ and HIV/AIDS activist and businesswoman Lauren Verdich died Feb. 12 of complications from pancreatic cancer. She was 77. Verdich was born Dec. 30, 1945, in Chicago. She grew up in the Albany Park neighborhood ...