||Daniel Sunjata of FX's Rescue Me at Crobar
by Steve Starr
This article shared 8899 times since Sat Mar 1, 2008
The handsome and magnetic Daniel Sunjata ( above, left ) hosted the 2008 Chicago Firemen Calendar Party, along with vivacious Kiss FM radio personality Nina Chantele, at Crobar, 1750 N. Kingsbury, on Jan. 11.
I was personally invited up the stairs to the dressing area where firemen happily posed for my camera and prepared themselves for the excited attendees below who with their calendar purchase raised money for Ignite The Spirit Fund, a great beneficial organization that helps firefighters in need after being wounded on their dangerous job, and the families of those killed. Each of the thirteen hot firemen made their way down the steep stairs to hit the stage and individually dance down a runway as hundreds of women shrieked in delight. Soon, Sunjata took to the stage and spoke of his present starring role as a fireman on his television show, Rescue Me, and Crobar presented a special check donation of $10,000. Sunjata and all the firemen were extremely friendly and charming, and having a lot of fun for very good reasons.
Daniel Sunjata Condon was born Dec. 30, 1971, in Evanston, Ill., and raised on Chicago's South Side. Sunjata earned a theater degree from the University of Southwest Indiana, and spent two years at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts. He has acted on several television shows that include Law & Order, Sex & The City and Bad Company. In 2002 Sunjata was nominated for a Tony Award for his role as a gay major league baseball player in Take Me Out—appearing naked on stage in one scene—and in 2004 he played a gay man in the award-winning film Brother to Brother. Other film appearances include Noel ( 2004 ) , Melinda and Melinda ( 2005 ) , The Bronx is Burning ( 2007 ) and The Devil Wears Prada ( 2006 ) . Sunjata returned to Broadway in 2007 to play the second lead, Christian de Neuvelette, in Cyrano De Bergerac,
In 2003, People Magazine named the captivating, 6'1', dark-haired actor of African-American, Irish and German heritage as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
For more pictures of Daniel and the bevy of firemen at the event, see www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com/photos/SunjataCrobarJan11-08.
This article shared 8899 times since Sat Mar 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|'Barlesque' launches at Sidetrack 2022-09-03|
- On Sept. 1 at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, Barlesque kicked off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels hosted, introducing this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Barlesque brings Chicago nightlife superstars, local bars and ...
|TPAN bringing back 'Barlesque' starting Sept. 1 2022-08-25|
- Barlesque is back. On Thursday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, 3349 N. Halsted St., Barlesque will kick off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels will host introduce this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Attendanc ...
|Touche holds fundraiser for Windy City Times 2022-07-12|
- Leather bar Touche, 6412 N. Clark St., held its regular Friday fundraiser on July 8—and the fortunate recipient this time was Windy City Times. Approximately $200 were raised during this benefit raffle. Touche has been a ...
|Pride Journey: Iceland 2022-03-21|
- The only way to describe Iceland is ... magical. It truly is. Iceland is like no other place I've visited in the world. It's topography, climate, people, culture, history, and nightlife blended together make Iceland a ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|LGBTQIA+ tavern to open in Uptown this fall 2021-07-14|
- 2Bears Tavern Groupwhich owns and operates Andersonville's The SoFo Tap and Meeting House Tavern as well as Rogers Park's Jackhammeris opening 2Bears Tavern Uptown in the former Nick's on Wilson space at 1140 W. Wilson Ave. ...
|Pride Parade coordinator provides latest on the 'likely scenario' for event 2021-05-08|
- Tim Frye, the coordinator of the 2021 Pride Parade, told Windy City Times that the assessment of this year's event has not changed over the last few weeks. The official statement/assessment at this point is: "We ...
|OUTspoken Storytelling to host tales from LGBTQ perspectives Nov. 10 2020-11-01|
--From a press release - Another exciting OUTspoken Storytelling Night will offer the perspective of four Chicagoans telling life's stories from their LGBTQ+ viewpoint or that of their close friends and relatives, Tuesday, Nov. 10, starting at 7 p.m. on Zoom. ...
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Nightlines 1990-2001, Nightspots 2001-2015 2020-09-30|
- Throughout the 1990s, Nightlines focused on the LGBTQ entertainment scene, from the bars to the stage and everything in between. With the new millennium came a significant format change as Nightspots focused in on the bar ...
|PASSAGES Former Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster dies at 37 2020-09-27|
- Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster died Sept. 17 unexpectedly at the age of 37. At the time of this article's publication, Sangster's cause of death is unknown. Sangster was born June 4, 1983, on a Jacksonville, North ...