||Dancing About Architecture
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 4090 times since Wed Jul 23, 2014
Music trends certainly come and go ( and come again ), and if you don't like something, stick around, it will change and change fast. In our time we've seen hybrids of Rap/Rock, Country/Club and R&B/Industrial ( Kanye's Yeezus if you're wondering ). Some trends are good, but some have to go away. Now.
The quiet, twee girl singer: Five years ago I was bitching about weak male vocalists, and how any skinny emo boy with a good band fashions themselves a singer, where back in the day they'd have been in the back toiling away behind a hired great singer. Many of those bands have died down; a seemingly good trend has taken its place, cutesy, sweet girl singers. On the heels of a slew of decent singers like Jenny Lewis, St. Vincent and Regina Spektor, a new wave of vocalists like starlets Zooey Deschanel, Scarlet Johansson and Lana Del Ray felt the need to sing behind a wall of distorted '60s production values putting out decent music with little vocal effort. Acts like Lykke Li, Best Coast, Uh Huh Her and Haim, while putting out great music, seem to be singing from a chaise lounge basking in twilight. Much how the electronic artists brought back strong male vocals, I say it's time for the ladies to rise up and pipe up! Singers like Florence Welch, Daughter, Savages and the enchanting Zola Jesus might be leading the charge.
LL-CPS-BND-NMZ: If you need help, that All Caps Band Names. For the love of God, it was cute back in the day when bands like ABBA and REM were abbreviations; even when MGMT and SUBTRKT came about in the '00s, it was whimsical. But can we stop already? Every week a new band pops out of London or Brooklyn dropping vowels and raising fonts. It's gone from fun to downright angry.
Animal names: Fun, rugged trend, but we simply have enough bands ( again mostly from Brooklyn ) with animal names: The Dear Hunter, The Dears, Dear Reader and Dearhoof for example, not to mention Bears and Cats. Quite frankly the casual listener will hear one of you and lump all of you diverse bands into one. I know I have. The zoo.
LIL: Bow Wow, Wayne, Jon, Romeo. OK, you've been at for a while now and you've earned your Lil, and two of you have done the wise thing and dropped it. At least a decade later though, Lil's keep popping up ( mostly in Bieber's camp ) and it's getting old. At first it wasn't working because, really, what man wants to be known as little, but now it's taken on almost a "drag house" feel to it, with Lil Jon spawning Lil Za and Lil Twist. Makes me miss Big Joe and Big Daddy Kane!
This article shared 4090 times since Wed Jul 23, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lollapalooza expected to return July 29-Aug. 1 2021-05-14|
- The Lollapalooza Festival will return to Chicago with a four-day event at its usual place and date range Grant Park, July 29-Aug. 1according to Variety. The City of Chicago gave the event the green light ...
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...