||Dancing About Architecture: Giving country another (10th) chance
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 1852 times since Wed Feb 17, 2016
As the genre of country music hits rough patches, and then bounces back time after time, the fans feel the loves and losses, like the highs and lows of a break-up and make-up. Now I'm not speaking of the regular country fan who thinks Florida Georgia Line is as high-quality as George Jones. I'm talking real country fans who know that the times when pop passes for the genre ( early '80s, late '90s, now ) are low points to true fans. Our long, dark time ( when Garth Brooks first retired until the present ) might be almost over though. Recently, after the good lord Timberlake introduced us to the guiding light of Chris Stapleton, I had to look into other powerhouses coming down the country road.
Need a baby step into the shallow waters between your love for Lana-Del-Ray-pop and the genre? Check out dreamy albums by Amy Blaschke ( Opaline ) and Rachel Brooke ( The World's Greatest Anchor ). If you're already down with Jenny Lewis, Rumer or Neko Case, you're there. If you don't know the past three, get to work.
Comedian Ben Hoffman unleashed is alter ego, Wheeler Walker Jr., onto us last week with an amazingly great comedy music album of the highest rate of offensiveness called Redneck Shit. The Howard Stern of country, you have to go into the album with an open mind that Hoffman will offend everyone in good time. With lyrics like, "They say it's crazy, say it's a sin, I just need someone to rest my balls on their chin" from the ode to straight-on-Gay love, "Which One O' You Queers Gonna Suck My Dick?", he's sending a big middle finger to the established "Bro Country." But Redneck Shit isn't just funny, it's a true country jam made with assistance from the Nashville establishment to hearken back to the days of the outlaw country of Waylon, Willie and Merle.
Speaking of the Nashville establishment, Wynonna Judd, who's one of the genre's best vocalists, has been coasting for decades now. After two strong solo albums in the '90s, two mediocre ones to follow, a reunion with her nutty mama and some covers albums, the red-headed diva is back with what could be the best album of her career, Wynonna and the Big Noise, which is also the moniker under which it's recorded. With heavyweights like Jason Isbell and Susan Tedechi and songs written or co-written by Chris Stapleton, Julie Miller, Raphael Saddiq, Kevin Welch and even Eagles bassist/singer Timothy B. Schmit, Big Noise is not just a return to form, but a rare evolution in middle age which will remind music fans of Bonnie Raitt's '90s comeback in tone and maturity.
Good country is out there, and it doesn't come with autotune, electronic drums or from a reality show. It comes from the heart, and we still heart country.
Check out these artists and more as Moose spins Lumbersexual: Otter Country on February 20, 9 pm, at The SoFo Tap.
This article shared 1852 times since Wed Feb 17, 2016
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lollapalooza expected to return July 29-Aug. 1 2021-05-14|
- The Lollapalooza Festival will return to Chicago with a four-day event at its usual place and date range Grant Park, July 29-Aug. 1according to Variety. The City of Chicago gave the event the green light ...
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...