||Dancing About Architecture
P!NK TURNS OVER NEW TREND WITH OLD WAYS
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 3940 times since Wed Oct 15, 2014
I'm a voracious music history and biography reader, so I've observed that certain patterns pop up in music history to where you can almost predict sea changes in sound. The dry, soft rock/prog rock of the '70s gave way to punk; overproduced hair metal gave way to grunge; MC Hammer-style rap crumbled under the gangsta rap of the '90s; and a myriad of vocal trends, when played out, are soon overtaken by that exact opposite of the popular on a loop throughout pop history. Lately I was wondering when all the male/female duets that came to prominence from the late '70s through the '90s faded out of pop, soul, and even country, and gave way to the guest MC ( think every Mariah or J-Lo single of the past 20 years or how Iggy Azalea pays the bills ) or the female-only duet.
While girl-on-girl vocals are nothing new ( Reba vs Linda Davis, Madonna vs Britney, Gaga vs Beyoncé ) it seems like lately the only way to get a top ten hit is to pile one, two or three lady vocalists or emcees on top of each other. Looking at current hits like "Bang Bang," "Fancy," "Black Widow," "***flawless," and "Call My Name" ( all of which feature any variation Rita-Ariana-Iggy-Nicki-Cheryl-Jessie-Beyoncé ), I'm getting the feeling that this trend will need to crash soon, not just due to oversaturation, but also simply because they are all starting to blend.
Then, like a breath of fresh air through a Spring window comes a possible savior, P!nk. You+Me, her new collaboration with City and Colour singer Dallas Green, hit my desktop last night and it's like she said, "If I put out a pure pop rock CD now, I'm no better than these ladies I've broken the ceiling for."
You+Me goes 180 degrees from the current pop trends and pairs P!nk's restrained, softer side with the counterpoint of Dallas' equally pleasant but anchored harmony. To hear a man and a woman singing simple acoustic arrangements together ( a bit similar to her duet with Nate Ruess last year ), sounding more like '70s era Heart or '90s MTV Unplugged at its Alice In Chains/Nirvana best, sounds like they just stepped off a time machine from 20 years back, in a good way. Their album, Rose Ave., is the most refreshingly original CD to hit my ears since Beyoncé's or Adele's last release. It's the type of album you drink in, then hit repeat, not skipping one track and retaining it all. The music equivalent of picking up a Cosmopolitan at the end of the Sex and the City movie and wondering, "Why did we ever stop drinking these?". Drink up, kids. Hopefully we're in for many new rounds of a new phase in pop.
This article shared 3940 times since Wed Oct 15, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|ONYX Midwest forum tackles racist performance at Touche's anniversary party 2023-01-22|
- In a response to the racist performance that took place at the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration on Nov. 1, 2022, ONYX Midwest hosted a community forum Jan. 21 at The Leather ...
|Touche Chicago's 45th-anniversary celebration marred by racist performance 2022-11-03|
- Racist performance mires Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration By Carrie Maxwell On Nov. 1, the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago celebrated its 45th anniversary with a feature performance by ...
|Howard Brown Health's Big Orange Ball has 'Saturday Night Fever' theme 2022-10-27|
- Howard Brown Health's Big Orange Ball was back in-person at Park West on Oct. 22this time with a big (not orange) disco ball. About 300 people brought their Halloween spirit to the event, dressed in costumes ...
|'Martinis That Matter' to honor former TPAN CEO Jeff Berry on Oct. 30 2022-10-19|
- Marty's Martini Bar, 1511 W. Balmoral Ave., presents "Martinis That Matter," a community giving-back program that funds community groups, charities and organizations. Profits from the sales during these events go to the organizations hosting. On Sunda ...
|'Barlesque' launches at Sidetrack 2022-09-03|
- On Sept. 1 at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, Barlesque kicked off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels hosted, introducing this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Barlesque brings Chicago nightlife superstars, local bars and ...
|TPAN bringing back 'Barlesque' starting Sept. 1 2022-08-25|
- Barlesque is back. On Thursday, Sept. 1, at 7 p.m. at Northalsted/Boystown nightspot Sidetrack, 3349 N. Halsted St., Barlesque will kick off. Nightlife figure Khloe Daniels will host introduce this year's bars, performers and choreographers. Attendanc ...
|Touche holds fundraiser for Windy City Times 2022-07-12|
- Leather bar Touche, 6412 N. Clark St., held its regular Friday fundraiser on July 8—and the fortunate recipient this time was Windy City Times. Approximately $200 were raised during this benefit raffle. Touche has been a ...
|Pride Journey: Iceland 2022-03-21|
- The only way to describe Iceland is ... magical. It truly is. Iceland is like no other place I've visited in the world. It's topography, climate, people, culture, history, and nightlife blended together make Iceland a ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Next OUTspoken show Sept. 7 2021-08-24|
- An OUTspoken Storytelling Night taking place Tuesday, Sept. 7, will offer tales told by six people who will relate their stories of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective. The entertainment will start at 7 p.m. ...
|Taste of River North cancelled 2021-07-29|
- On July 29, the River North Residents Association, along with theMART and Duff Entertainment, announced the cancellation of the 2021 edition of Taste of River North. The event was slated to take place Aug. 20-21 at ...
|OUTspoken storytelling to host six takes from LGBTQ+ perspective 2021-07-26|
--From a press release - The month of August is hot - but OUTspoken at the Sidetrack will be even hotter on Aug. 3 when six storytellers will tell tales of fun and fortune from a LGBTQ+ perspective! The program will start at 7:00 pm at ...
|LGBTQIA+ tavern to open in Uptown this fall 2021-07-14|
- 2Bears Tavern Groupwhich owns and operates Andersonville's The SoFo Tap and Meeting House Tavern as well as Rogers Park's Jackhammeris opening 2Bears Tavern Uptown in the former Nick's on Wilson space at 1140 W. Wilson Ave. ...
|Pride Parade coordinator provides latest on the 'likely scenario' for event 2021-05-08|
- Tim Frye, the coordinator of the 2021 Pride Parade, told Windy City Times that the assessment of this year's event has not changed over the last few weeks. The official statement/assessment at this point is: "We ...