||Dancing About ARCHITECTURE
MAKE THE HOLIDAYS, WELL, GAY
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 2703 times since Wed Dec 8, 2010
There was a time in the not-so-distant past where Christmas albums as a whole were the norm. We'd put on Johnny Mathis or Nat King Cole and decorate the tree or have Christmas dinner ( sorry my Jewish pals, but there's not a great Channukah album ) and memories based on a single artist were formed. But with the advent ( pun intended, Catholics! ) of the reign of single downloads, families and friends can make their memories custom with Christmas mixes. So why not tip some gayness into the holiday music nog with some queer and queer-friendly holiday tunes in their playlist this year? There's a bit for everyone in the family.
For the jokester aunt or uncle, try The Superions' "Fruitcake." Who else but Fred Schneider and his loungy sideband could come up with a campy party track about the holidays' biggest villain?
Daniel Cartier's "This Christmas ( Stay ) " is off his quirky and imaginative 2009 This Christmas album, but use this key track for that sister who needs weaning off that damn Jason Mraz CD and onto some substance. While we're bringing down the tone, toss in Casey Stratton's gorgeous rendition of "In the Bleak Midwinter" off his Winter Moon CD. If she's a fan of Kurt from Glee, his flawlessly emotional delivery will hit her spot. While you're under the Winter Moon, try out another handsome gay Midwestern singer/songwriter Ross Crean. He's premiering his new single, "The Winter King" December 7 on iTunes and on www.rosscrean.com . Like much of Ross' music, Winter King is a beautifully haunting piano ballad with more than a touch of the old country.
Whoa babes, its getting dark in here. Let's bring up their mood with some outlandishly campy RuPaul. Yes, Ru has a Christmas CD called Ho Ho Ho. I'm picking the standout "RuPaul The Red-Nosed Drag Queen" to blow up your Christmas tree skirt! Follow it up with Pet Shop Boys' rework of "It Doesn't Always Snow At Christmas" off their last EP, Christmas. Your closeted father and campy mom will go nuts.
Then relax with your Disarrono by the fire with Kylie Minogue's new traditional arrangement of "Let It Snow," A Fine Frenzy's delicate "Oh Blue Christmas," and finally Annie Lennox. No single here. Get her entire album, A Christmas Cornucopia. Some things are best left to the old ways; download the full album when it's that good.
Find downloads and streams of these tracks at www.danceaboutarc.wordpress.com
This article shared 2703 times since Wed Dec 8, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Five Worth Finding: 'Swan Song,' mental-health event, Halloween items, artwork 2021-09-04|
- Technically, there are six items here, but they're all highly recommended. —Swan Song: Throughout his long and storied career, German actor Udo Kier has taken on many roles—but probably none as indelible as former hairdresser Pat ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- —Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Five Worth Finding: Skydeck, a great Italian dinner and more 2021-05-03|
- —Skydeck Chicago at Willis Tower (TheSkydeck.com): The famed Skydeck Chicago, 103 stories up at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has reopened—complete with the ledges (that separate people from the city ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES annual Holiday Gift Guide, Part Two
- I'll drink to that Inspired by TV host Giuliana Rancic, Giuliana Prosecco ($14.99; TerlatoWines.com) is smooth, with a fruity scent and deceptively complex taste. It may sound weird to say you settled down with Giuliana after ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES 2019 Holiday Gift Guide Part One of Two 2019-11-27|
- Feel the heat We all know the polar vortex may be revisiting sooner rather than letter, so be ready with Heat Holders socks and gloves (various prices; HeatHolders.com). The socks, specially developed with cashmere-like acrylic yarn, ...
|Five Worth Finding: TeaPotBrew, 'The GayBCs' and more 2019-10-29|
- TeaPotBrew Bakery: Nestled in the South Loop/Prairie District, this bakery (1802 S. Wabash St.; 312-966-6001) features dozens of teas, delicious sandwiches/pastries and the friendliest staffers you'll likely to encounter. Also ...
Five Worth Finding: Pride, Carol's Cookies, Kimpton Gray and more 2019-06-18|
- The Queeriodic Table: A Celebration of LGBTQ+ Culture: Harriet Dyer's book (a take on the periodic table, of course) contains a glossary on current lingo and definitions; a condensed timeline of queer events from 1000 B.C.; ...
|Five Worth Finding: Emotional book, Studio Three and more 2019-03-03|
- The Truth About Aaron: This book about the late football star/convicted murdered Aaron Hernandez, written by brother Jonathan, is a warts-and-all account of the sometimes brutal childhood Aaron had. Among ...
|Five Worth Finding, Beverages, Auto Show and more 2019-02-04|
- Sodastream Fizzi One Touch (Sodastream.com): This eco-friendly sparking-soda maker has been getting tons of positive reviewsand there are several reasons for this. It's absolutely easy to use, there's top-notch customer ...
|Five Worth Finding: Last-minute gifts 2018-12-19|
- tinyB Chocolate (https://www.tinybchocolate.com/): Sinful bite-sized chocolateswhich are great stocking-stuffersare the hallmark of this company. Among the cascade of flavors are dark chocolate and sprinkles; Brazilian coffee ...
|'One of a Kind Holiday Show' through Dec. 9 2018-12-07|
- Through Dec. 9, the One of a Kind Holiday Show is returning to the seventh floor of The Mart, 222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza. More than 600 independent artists from across North America and beyond are ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2018 Part two 2018-12-05|
- Ross examination Diana Ross puts her indelible spin on holiday classics such as "The Christmas Song," "Winter Wonderland" and the title song on the CD Wonderful Christmastimea collection of holiday recordings from Diana Ross that were ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES 2018 HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2018-11-28|
- Rebel yell As many know, the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots is next year, and this cool "Rebel" T-shirtwhich out Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black designedmarks the occasion in ...