||Dancing About ARCHITECTURE
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 2358 times since Wed Sep 29, 2010
Brandon Flowers, like I'm sure many maudlin teens growing up in the Southwest did, lived by U2's The Joshua Tree. However, few of us need toor have the talent totry to come up against it. I'm only surmising that The Killers' lead singer's first solo album, Flamingo, might be a tip to that because it's thematically set in Las Vegas and is co-produced by Daniel Lanois. Amazingly, it's his best stuff since the first band album. "Hard Enough," his Fleetwood Mac-ian duet with Jenny Lewis, the Coldplay-tinged "Magdelena," and the epic single Crossfire are worth the cover price alone. He had only a few missteps with a few snoozy tracks and one jarringly out of place upbeat track, "Was It Something I Said?"
OMD, the '80s legends that never got the adulation of counterparts Depeche Mode or New Order, reunite for their first album in 15 years, 25 since the full line-up. Time has been very kind to the boys and I'm happy to report tha fans of OMD's '80s and '90s music will be thrilled. "History of Modern" combines the edgy pop of later OMD with the sleek old synths missing from those later recordings that made the earlier, artsier stuff so amazing.
Maximum Balloon, a side project by TV on the Radio cutie Dave Sitek, should be great, but didn't click at all and just felt like an afterthought. He does the music and various guests like David Byrne and Karen O do vocals. All just OK and a bit dancy. The only tracks that really ring true, funnily enough, are the two featuring his TVOTR bandmates.
And finally, new duo Macintosh Braun comes storming out the gate with their synth-tastic debut, Where We Are. Fans of Empire of the Sun and mid-period Depeche will devour the silky, sexy electronic vibes these boys are putting off. Every song tingles with energy, sensuality and longing. I can't think of a better way to seduce that new winter snuggle bunny into hibernation with you as the leaves fall.
This article shared 2358 times since Wed Sep 29, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NHL bans Pride Tape from hockey games and practices 2023-10-11|
- The National Hockey League (NHL) has designated that athletes will no longer be able to show support to the LGBTQ+ community while playing, according to Out, which cited Outsports. The league has issued a ban of ...
|Supreme Court rules in favor of anti-gay Colorado web designer, LGBTQ+ groups respond 2023-06-30|
- On June 30, the U.S. Supreme Court—which has a conservative majority—ruled in favor of Lorie Smith, an evangelical Christian web designer from Colorado who refuses to work on same-sex weddings, ...
|Viktor Luna moonlights once again on Project Runway 2023-06-14|
- Out and proud fashion designer Viktor Luna returns for more challenges in the upcoming season 20 of Project Runway. The Emmy Award-winning competition series has assembled 14 designers from its past, with Christian Siriano serving as ...
|NATIONAL Pro-trans measures, Lambda Legal, Elizabeth Taylor event, drag items, 'The L Word' 2023-04-29|
- While at least 12 states have passed legislation to limit or ban gender-affirming healthcare for young people, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico and Minnesota have passed bills designed to shield ...
|HRC applauds Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing extremist attacks on transgender lives 2023-04-21|
--From a press release - Topeka, KS - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, commended Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing a total of four bills designe ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
| Chicago Fire FC wins first-ever Midwest Emmy Award 2022-12-07|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Dec. 6, 2022) — Chicago Fire FC has been awarded the Club's first ever Regional Emmy Award in the category of "Outstanding Crafts Achievement for Graphics Arts/Motion Graphics/ Art Direction/Set Design" as a part of ...
|The City of Chicago commits to advertising equity in local media 2022-10-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot signed an executive order designating that City of Chicago departments allocate at least 50 percent of their annual advertising spending to community media outlets. More than 153 languages are spoken in households ...
|Fire FC falls to CF Montreal; Cubs and White Sox win 2022-09-14|
- On Sept. 13, the Chicago Fire FC (9-14-8) fell 3-2 to CF Montreal (17-9-5) at Stade Saputo. Chicago's three-game unbeaten run (1-0-2) was snapped. Designated player Xherdan Shaqiri converted two penalty kicks on the night, but ...
|NATIONAL Gay judge, brewery threatened, Victory Fund, AIDS Quilt 2022-08-28|
- New York's highest court has designated Associate Judge Anthony Cannataro to serve as acting chief judge after Janet DiFiore steps down, Gay City News reported. Cannataro, the former administrative judge of New York City's civil court, ...
|Skaters from Chicago BIPOC queer collective froSkate release Nike SB shoe 2022-08-17|
- Members of froSkate—an organization dedicated to creating safe spaces for BIPOC queer skateboarders—recently became the first Black women to design a colorful sneaker with Nike SB, and the shoe was recently released. Two of froSkate's le ...
|ACTIVITIES Architectural Artifacts brings the goods to new Chicago location 2022-07-15|
- Following its 35-year legacy as one of the nation's top destinations for globally sourced design and architectural statement pieces, Architectural Artifacts, Inc. (AAI) has reimagined a 35,000-square-foot Mid Century-style school ...
|Out at CHM's 'Dancing for Life' to take place June 23 2022-06-10|
- The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., is continuing its Out at CHM series with "Dancing for Life: Moving through HIV/AIDS" on Thursday, June 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m. In honor of Chicago designating 2022 as the ...