by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2281 times since Wed Sep 10, 2003
In case you've never read this column before, and you don't know how I feel about various artists compilations, let me tell you. I hate them. They are often slapdash efforts tossed together for the sole purpose of making money from some musical fad. Dance music compilations are at the top of my list, especially those compiled by DJs. If I wasn't dancing in your club, then I probably don't care what you were spinning on any given night. Electro Kills: This Is Just A Fad (Nettwerk America) is an exception. For the average listener, the new-wave inspired electroclash scene is still something of an enigma. This compilation features such listener friendly tracks as 'He Not In' by Chicken Lips, 'Strange Sounds' by Valentino Tomasi, 'Bleep Freak' by FC Kahuna.
'The 15th' by commercially promising group Fischerspooner, and 'Turn It On' by critics darlings Ladytron. Even slightly more exotic or hardcore acts such as Lolita Strap ('Product'), Black Strobe ('Me & Madonna') or Felix Da Housecat ('Silver Screen') sound safe for the mainstream on this collection. The jumpsuit that the model is wearing on the cover is a fad, electroclash sounds like it's going to be around for a while.
Electro Bop (Delvian) by man-of-many-monikers The G-Man is a collection of fifteen electro-lite originals. With a beat per minute range of 90 ('Doom & Lollipops') to 300 (the Ministry-like 'Brainbump'), most of the songs were in the 100 to 120 BPM range and allowed for pleasant head bopping and toe-tapping without working up a sweat. The most 'electro' tunes, 'Paranormal Radio' and 'GoBabyGoBaby,' would sound good on any electro compilation or at an electro night at your favorite dance club. Listener beware, the song 'C**t Is In The Dictionary' is sure to ruffle more than a few feathers. With the lines, 'For behavior quite contrary/c**t is in the dictionary/with a picture of you,' this 'nicest-sounding angry song' calls for an advisory warning.
This article shared 2281 times since Wed Sep 10, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...