by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2443 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
As someone who wasn't entirely delighted by the first Verve Remixed disc, the thought of a second installment, Verve Remixed 2 (Verve) was a less than thrilling prospect. The whole concept had me wondering whether acid jazz could be linked to acid reflux disease. I'm pleased to say that because a majority of the tracks are instrumentals which lend themselves to being fiddled with in this fashion, the burning sensation subsided almost immediately. The Funky Lowlives' subtle remix of Dizzy Gillespie's 'Manteca,' set the tone for the respectful treatment of the remaining instrumental tracks such as Matthew Herbert's remix of Ramsey Lewis' 'Do What You Wanna,' Cal Tjader's 'Soul Sauce' remixed by Fila Brazillia, Willie Bobo's 'Fried Neckbones and Some Home Fries' remixed by Dan The Automator and the Metro Area Birthday dub of Hugh Masakela's 'Mama.' Regarding the remixes of the jazz vocal tracks, Felix Da Housecat's Heavenly House mix of Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman' approaches nirvana, the Koop remix of Astrud Gilberto's 'Here Comes That Rainy Day' is like a sun shower, and Gotan Project's disco/tango remix of 'Whatever Lola Wants' by Sarah Vaughan may not be what the divine Sarah 'aimed for', but it hits the mark nevertheless.
If ever there was a defining moment in Deborah Cox's relatively short (her first album was released less than ten years ago) career, it would have to be the Hex Hector remix of 'Nobody's Supposed To Be Here.' With that remix, Hex Hector transformed the soul belter into one of the biggest dance-club divas of her time. Sure, the original ballad version is a drag queen's lip-synch drama dream come true. But the dance remix version is a dance floor anthem of the highest order. Hex Hector dominates the remixes on the continually mixed remix disc, the cleverly titled Deborah Cox Remixed (J), which features his talented touch on some of Cox's biggest dance hits including 'Mr. Lonely,' 'Absolutely Not,' 'It's Over Now,' 'Things Just Ain't The Same,' and the aforementioned 'Nobody's Supposed To Be Here.' Other remixers have also had success with Cox as you can hear on both David Morales and Junior Vasquez's remixes of 'Who Do U Love,' Morales Club Mix of 'It Could've Been You,' the Leading Club Role Mix of 'Play Your Part,' and the Hani Anthem Vocal Mix of 'I Never Knew.' (J)
While you're at it, also check out Beth Orton's remix disc The Other Side of Daybreak (Astralwerks/Heavenly).
This article shared 2443 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus' 'Diva Dracula' in March
- Chicago Gay Men's Chorus (CGMC) will present a virtual production of "Lipstick & Lyrics: Diva Dracula," on March 6, 12 and 13 at 8 p.m. CT. Featuring 15 drag performers, Diva Dracula embarks on a journey ...
|Chicago soccer team holding anthem contest
- The Chicago-based soccer club Edgewater Castle FC (ECFC) is holding a competition for Chicago musicians, artists and composers to write its new club anthem. According to a press release, "The anthem will be sung by players ...
|Showbiz: Black gay director, Oscars, soccer couple, Demi Lovato 2021-02-21|
- Paris Barclay, the Emmy-winning TV director and former president of the Directors Guild of America (DGA), will receive the guild's Honorary Life Member Award at the 73rd Annual DGA Awards on April 10, TheWrap reported. Barclay ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|Where Did We Sit on the Bus? online streaming production starts Feb. 22 2021-02-04|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL— Victory Gardens Theater and Geva Theatre Center announce the online streaming production of Brian Quijada's music-infused production of Where Did We Sit on the Bus?, written and performed by Brian Quijada and directed by ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Tunde Johnson,' John Waters, Jane Lynch, Billie Eilish 2021-01-31|
- Wolfe Releasing has slated the film The Obituary of Tunde Johnson for a theatrical and digital release on Feb. 26, a press release noted. The film—written by Stanley Kalu; directed by Ali LeRoi; and starring Steven ...
|Ravinia Women's Board unveils winner of poster competition
- The Ravinia Women's Board unveiled the winner of its annual Ravinia season poster competition. Minneapolis graphic designer Sean Quinn, 28, is the recipient of the competition's top prize for a second time; his entry in the ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Batwoman,' Village People, Neil Patrick Harris, Mariah Carey 2021-01-24|
- SPOILER ALERT: Season two of Batwoman (featuring the lesbian superheroine) began by introducing Ryan Wilder, the new lead character on The CW show played by Javicia Leslie—and explained how first-season ...
|'Mombian Database' released
- Mombian columnist Dana Rudolph has released the Mombian Database of LGBTQ Family Books, Media, and More, with more than 500 books, music albums, movies, games and toys for and about LGBTQ families. The site offers multiple ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Tales' star dies, 'Wonder Woman 1984,' holiday songs, 'Drag Race' 2021-01-05|
- Marcus D'Amico—the original Michael "Mouse" Tolliver from the miniseries Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City—died at age 55, Queerty noted. In 1992, he also originated the role of Louis in the National Theatre's London run of ...
|Hell in a Handbag announces annual benefit, "The Morning After" 2020-12-23|
- CHICAGO (Dec. 17, 2020) — Hell in a Handbag Productions is pleased to announce its annual benefit "The Morning After," featuring the streaming world premiere of the smash hit musical that started it all for them, ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race,' year-end honors, 'Guardians,' Taylor Swift 2020-12-21|
- VH1 unveiled a game-changing twist from the upcoming season of the Emmy-winning RuPaul's Drag Race, premiering Friday, Jan. 1, at 8 p.m. ET/PT, a press release noted. For the first time in Drag Race "herstory," queens ...
|Windy City Gay Chorus, Windy City Treble Quire present Let There Be Light 2020-12-15|
--From a press release - Chicago, Ill. — Windy City Performing Arts (WCPA), the not-for-profit parent organization of Windy City Gay Chorus and Windy City Treble Quire, is proud to announce its 41st annual holiday concert, Let there be Light: A ...
|PrideArts to screen A Not So Silent Night Tuesday, Dec. 15
- To honor the tradition of gathering around with family and singing holiday songs, even in a pandemic. PrideArts is hosting a one-time screening of the film A Not So Silent Night tonight, Dec. 15, 2020. The ...
|HotHouse to stream Cuban jazz festival "Jazz Plaza" Jan. 21-24 2020-12-14|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Marguerite Horberg, executive director of the award-winning Chicago-based nonprofit arts presenter HotHouse, today announced that it has been awarded the exclusive rights to stream the 2021 legendary Cuban ...