by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2475 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
As someone who wasn't entirely delighted by the first Verve Remixed disc, the thought of a second installment, Verve Remixed 2 (Verve) was a less than thrilling prospect. The whole concept had me wondering whether acid jazz could be linked to acid reflux disease. I'm pleased to say that because a majority of the tracks are instrumentals which lend themselves to being fiddled with in this fashion, the burning sensation subsided almost immediately. The Funky Lowlives' subtle remix of Dizzy Gillespie's 'Manteca,' set the tone for the respectful treatment of the remaining instrumental tracks such as Matthew Herbert's remix of Ramsey Lewis' 'Do What You Wanna,' Cal Tjader's 'Soul Sauce' remixed by Fila Brazillia, Willie Bobo's 'Fried Neckbones and Some Home Fries' remixed by Dan The Automator and the Metro Area Birthday dub of Hugh Masakela's 'Mama.' Regarding the remixes of the jazz vocal tracks, Felix Da Housecat's Heavenly House mix of Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman' approaches nirvana, the Koop remix of Astrud Gilberto's 'Here Comes That Rainy Day' is like a sun shower, and Gotan Project's disco/tango remix of 'Whatever Lola Wants' by Sarah Vaughan may not be what the divine Sarah 'aimed for', but it hits the mark nevertheless.
If ever there was a defining moment in Deborah Cox's relatively short (her first album was released less than ten years ago) career, it would have to be the Hex Hector remix of 'Nobody's Supposed To Be Here.' With that remix, Hex Hector transformed the soul belter into one of the biggest dance-club divas of her time. Sure, the original ballad version is a drag queen's lip-synch drama dream come true. But the dance remix version is a dance floor anthem of the highest order. Hex Hector dominates the remixes on the continually mixed remix disc, the cleverly titled Deborah Cox Remixed (J), which features his talented touch on some of Cox's biggest dance hits including 'Mr. Lonely,' 'Absolutely Not,' 'It's Over Now,' 'Things Just Ain't The Same,' and the aforementioned 'Nobody's Supposed To Be Here.' Other remixers have also had success with Cox as you can hear on both David Morales and Junior Vasquez's remixes of 'Who Do U Love,' Morales Club Mix of 'It Could've Been You,' the Leading Club Role Mix of 'Play Your Part,' and the Hani Anthem Vocal Mix of 'I Never Knew.' (J)
While you're at it, also check out Beth Orton's remix disc The Other Side of Daybreak (Astralwerks/Heavenly).
This article shared 2475 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...
|Belting for Life Sunday May 16, streaming through May 31 2021-04-16|
--From a press release - CHICAGO - Jeff Award-winning director and HIV+ activist Christopher Pazdernik presents the 6th annual Belting for Life (formerly known as Chris' Birthday Belt Fest), an annual benefit concert for Howard Brown Health, one of the nation's ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans singer, 'Pose,' Kate Winslet, Lil Nas X, Broadway 2021-04-11|
- Trans femme indie-punk artist Evan Greer (she/her) released a dystopian new music video for the song "Surveillance Capitalism," a press release noted. She is using it to launch StopSpotifySurveillance.org with Fight for the Future, where she ...
|Movie about art sensation born into slavery to premiere April 16
- Bill Traylor: Chasing Ghostsa film about a man who was born into slavery, and whose works became sensations in the art worldwill premiere Friday, April 16, in local virtual cinemas of Music Box Theatre and Facets. ...
|Story of Chicagoan and Broadway influencer Sister Rosetta Tharpe on to Broadway 2021-04-06|
--From a press release - NEW YORK (April 4, 2021) Prolific writer and Chicago native Cheryl L. West (FANNIE: The Music and Life of Fannie Lou Hamer; Jar the Floor), will be joined on the creative team of SHOUT SISTER ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Special,' Bonnaroo, Broadway items, Rita Moreno, Bridgerton 2021-04-04|
- The second season of the Netflix comedy series Special will premiere May 20, a press release noted. The series revolves around Ryan O'Connell, a gay man with mild cerebral palsy, and is based on his memoir ...