by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2415 times since Wed Oct 8, 2003
I miss Morrissey. I miss the sound of his voice. I want to hear him sing again. Alas, Morrissey doesn't care what I want. He'd rather listen to other people's music. I'm not surprised in the least that he has great taste in tunes, music that is both accessible and familiar, vintage and peculiar, and altogether exciting as you can hear on his mix disc Morrissey: Under The Influence (DMC). I can just picture Morrissey, dancing around in front of the turntable to the spicy Cajun beats of 'Saturday Nite Special' by The Sundown Players. Is that lipstick on Morrissey's pouty mouth or has he been kissing The New York Dolls as they sing 'Trash'? Like his fellow countrymen, Morrissey appears to have a fondness for the rock and roll music of the '50s and early '60s, so his inclusion of Nat Couty's 'Woodpecker Rock,' 'One Hand Loose' by Charlie Feathers, Jimmy Radcliff's '(There Goes) The Forgotten Man' and 'So Little Time' by Diana Dors comes as no surprise. However, what is most revealing about the man who once sang 'hang the DJ,' are the selections he spun from his adolescence and young adulthood. From the formative early '70s glam and underground sounds of Tyrannosaurus Rex, Sparks and Nico on 'Great Horse,' 'Arts & Crafts Spectacular' and 'All That Is My Own' to the later punk rock statements of the Ramones ('Judy Is A Punk') and Patti Smith ('Hey Joe'). A queer ear may also be cocked toward the late Klaus Nomi ('Death') and Ludus's 'Breaking The Rules,' in which female lead vocalist Linder sings the praises of sexual variations and combinations.
In an attempt to 'accurately capture' DJ/producer/musician Peter Rauhoffer's 'most recent sets at his now legendary Saturday night residency' at NYC's Roxy, he has released the double disc compilation Live @ Roxy 2 (*69). Rauhoffer's distinctive fingerprints are all over this set, from the selection of the opening cut, 'Dance With Me' by openly gay dance artist Ron Perkov, to the tribal beats of Dark Clark's 'If You Want Me' and the current, camp, lipstick-kissed disco bitch tune 'Bucci Bag' by Andrea Doria. Sheila Brody's diva declaration on 'Appreciate Me' by Amuka deserves mention, as does Rauhoffer's nod to fellow DJ and remixer Hex Hector with the inclusion of 'The Light.' Rauhoffer shines 'the light' on himself on two other tracks on disc one, his remix of Praise Cats' 'Shined On Me' and his own 'Unique.' The 'unique' centerpieces of disc two are Rauhoffer's remix of Yoko Ono's 'Walking On Thin Ice' and Robbie Rivera's NYC Dub of Candi Staton's 'Young Hearts Run Free.' Both songs are surrounded by relevant Rauhoffer choices such as Serial Smokers' cloudy 'Liberata' and 'I Try' by Made By Monkeys. Still, a compilation such as this only preaches to the converted. We already know that Rauhoffer is a skilled DJ. I'm still looking forward to the day that Rauhoffer steps out from behind the turntables and releases an album of all original tunes, under his own name, along the lines of the aforementioned 'Unique' and disc two's closing track 'This Is My House.'
This article shared 2415 times since Wed Oct 8, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lollapalooza expected to return July 29-Aug. 1 2021-05-14|
- The Lollapalooza Festival will return to Chicago with a four-day event at its usual place and date range Grant Park, July 29-Aug. 1according to Variety. The City of Chicago gave the event the green light ...
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...