by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2513 times since Wed Jan 22, 2003
On their second album, Wallpaper For The Soul (Minty Fresh), Tahiti 80 sends listeners an exotic musical postcard that rings with luxurious chill-out tunes, affectionate reinventions of '60s Europop, and funky free-flowing beats that will have you repeatedly saying 'Let's go to the discotheque,' with a fake French accent. The soothing title track suggests waves rolling to the shore at the beach and may have you checking your arms and legs to see if you've gotten a tan. '1,000 Times' requires vintage disco moves and line-dance choreography and courtesy, while the mock-Motown 'Soul Deep' is pure go-go boots, pale lipstick and false eyelashes peeking out from under long bangs. Both 'Get Yourself Together' and 'Fun Fair' suggest young Julie Christie and Catherine Deneuve running through the cobblestone streets of the movie in your mind, 'The Train' recalls Prefab Sprout at their club mix best, while 'Don't Look Below' is a couples dance in true steppin' style.
French accents, real or cultivated, dominate the handsomely packaged Hotel Costes (Pschent), a compilation disc by Stephane Pompougnac. A laid-back vibe, beginning with the '60s-inspired mellow groove on 'Galaxy' by Hippiehaus and the '60s-powered energy of 'L'Amour' (featuring a sample a Marcel Mouloudji's 1963 'L'Amour, L'Amour, 'L'Amour') temporarily sets the tone, while subtly increasing the value of the beats. By the time you get to Streamer's 'Zwing Ting' (with its 'dumdum dum do dum be dum' from 'He's So Fine') and 'Summer In Paris' by Cam (featuring the exotic Anggun), you'll be ready to kick off your shoes and kick up your heels. A deep underground haze surrounds a trio of tracks - 'Cocaine Is A Sin' by The Strike Boys, 'Ponger Star' by Vision, and 'Doo Uap, Doo Uap, Doo Uap' (which generously samples 'It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing')—at the compilation's center. The remaining tracks are exotic (Dublex's 'Tocame'), if not downright bizarre ('One Night In Rio' by Louie Austen, a Bossa Nova-influenced cover of Joe Jackson's 'Steppin' Out').
Eternal Youth, the acclaimed 2002 album by Future Bible Heroes contained enough synthesized beats to qualify it as one of the best electro-clash outings of the year. It also had openly gay songwriters Stephin Merritt's flawless way with words and Chris Ewen's infectious and holy melodies. In much the same way that the 1982 (!) EP Love And Dancing by The League Unlimited Orchestra expanded on the daring work done by The Human League on their 1981 full-length album Dare!, the seven-song EP The Lonely Robot (Instinct) gives listeners another way to approach some of the songs from Eternal Youth, all of which are sung by Claudia Gonson. Speaking of The Human League, the Client On Demand mix of 'Losing Your Affection' sounds like an homage to the groundbreaking synth-masters, while the 12-inch mix of the song by fellow trendsetters Soft Cell is custom made for the clubs. The extended mix of 'I'm A Vampire' is one of the liveliest songs about the undead that I've ever heard and Rob Rives shines a new light on 'The World Is A Disco Ball.' Both of the new songs, 'The DJ From Outer Space' and 'The Lonely Robot,' fit effortlessly into FBH's amazing canon.
This article shared 2513 times since Wed Jan 22, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER 'Wicked' returning to Chicago in 2022 2021-11-30|
- The blockbuster musical Wicked will return to Broadway In Chicago's James M. Nederlander Theatre, 24 W. Randolph St., on Sept. 28-Dec. 4, 2022. Now the fifth longest-running show in Broadway historyand featuring songs such as "Popular" ...
|Billy Masters 2021-11-29|
- "The obvious one would be A Little Night Music. I know I could do that role very well now that I've gotten to this stage in my life, and you know it's a beautiful song in there. It's perfection."Sarah Brightman reveals ...
|SHOWBIZ Netflix, Kal Penn, Dennis Rodman, 'The Voice,' 'Euphoria' 2021-11-28|
Video below - Terra Field—one of the Netflix employees who organized the walkout around Dave Chappelle's comedy special The Closer—has resigned from the streamer, Deadline reported. Field, along with B. Pagels-Minor, organized an ...
|Broadway titan Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 2021-11-27|
- Stephen Sondheim, one of the giants of Broadway songwriting, died Nov. 26 at his home in Roxbury, Connecticut, according to media reports. He was 91. Among the works in the legend's oeuvre are Company (1970), Follies ...
|EVENTS John Grumpy Co. presenting 'Black Sunday' Nov. 28 2021-11-24|
- John Grumpy Co. is hosting "Black Sunday," which will take place at HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.. This event will feature celebrity DJ Jamal Smallz. "Black Sunday" will ...
|MUSIC Grammy nominations announced; GLAAD comments 2021-11-24|
- On Nov. 23, the nominations for the 64th Annual Grammy Awards were announced. John Batiste, the musician who also serves as the bandleader on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, led among all nominees with 11 ...
|MUSIC Controversial rapper DaBaby postpones shows 2021-11-24|
- DaBaby's return to touring following fallout for making anti-gay comments at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami this past summer has been postponed, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. The rapper's been promoting his "Live Show ...
|SHOWBIZ '9-1-1,' Billie Jean King, Lena Waithe, singer Mary Lambert, White Party 2021-11-21|
- Actor Rockmond Dunbar left the Fox show 9-1-1 after four seasons over a vaccine mandate, Deadline noted. His gay character, Michael Grant, was abruptly written off in the Nov. 15 episode, leaving fans of the first-responder ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|MOVIES 'Dante and Beatrice in Florence' Nov. 28-Dec. 5 2021-11-19|
- Porchlight Music Theatre is partnering with Hershey Felder Presents: Live from Florence and its second season of productions. The launch of this new season from Hershey Felder is the new musical film Dante and Beatrice in ...
|Lil Nas X part of 'Jingle Ball' on Dec. 7 2021-11-17|
- Queer rapper Lil Nas X will headline KISS FM's Jingle Ball Presented by Capital One this year, run in coordination with iHeart Radio. The event will take place Tuesday, Dec. 7, at Allstate Arena at 7:30 ...
|Chicago Therapy Collective to honor Trans Day of Resilience 2021-11-16|
- On Saturday, Nov. 20, Chicago Therapy Collective will release an original music video cover of Wildfires (Sault, 2020) in honor of Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) 2021 and the racial justice uprisings of 2020. According to ...
|'When I Am Free' concert supporting Rainbow Railroad on Dec. 3 2021-11-16|
- "When I Am Free: A Benefit Concert for Rainbow Railroad" will take place at Center on Halsted's Hoover-Leppen Theatre, 3656 N. Halsted St., on Friday, Dec. 3, at 7:30 p.m. During this event, there will be ...
|SHOWBIZ Theater items, Lady Gaga, 'Justice League Queer,' Tom of Finland 2021-11-14|
- Eighteen months after he died of COVID, the life of playwright Terrence McNally was celebrated in a packed house Nov. 1 at the Schoenfeld Theatre, Gay City News noted. Tributes poured in from theater artists, while ...
|Britney Spears' conservatorship ends 2021-11-12|
- The conservatorship that has controlled Britney Spears' finances, personal life and medical decisions since 2008, and which for many years was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, has ended. On Nov. 12, Los Angeles County Superior ...