by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2718 times since Wed Jan 29, 2003
Waiting in the wings for a while, Fischerspooner is about to take flight with its major label debut disc #1 (Capitol).
Yeah, I know, all the underground electronic music junkies and performance art aficionados are going to claim that they've known about this NYC-based duo (Warren Fischer and Casey Spooner) before everyone else, but what will that get them?
For those not in-the-know, but hungering to be, Fischerspooner's well-timed debut disc earns a place for itself among the electro-clash releases of the past year or so, with its swelling synths and futuristic vocals. 'Sweetness' is an electronic sugar-rush and 'Emerge' could potentially have electro-heads coming out in droves.
'Horizon' brightens over the course of five minutes, like a post-clubbing sunrise, and 'Turn On' lives up to its name. A couple of hidden tracks (including a remix of 'Emerge') may give Fischerspooner an extended shelf-life in the clubs.
Easily one of the most fascinating and entertaining, yet controversial, NYC club scene characters, Jonny McGovern's Gay Pimp is one to watch in the coming months. Released in 2001, his Dirty Gay Hits (www.gaypimp.com) disc draws on musical influences such as Britney, Christina, Backstreet Boys and N*Sync ('Dirty Gay Teen Pop Superstar') and Prince ('Dream Boi Cream Boi'), and tracks such as 'Hey Lil' Rave Boi,' 'The Wrong Fag To Fuck With,' and 'Lookin' Cute/Feelin' Cute,' will probably also appeal to those listening to both Felix da Housecat and the electro-clash groups.
The wicked funny and hot and sweaty 'Soccer Practice' deserves a spot on the Billboard dance music chart and on turntables in dance clubs everywhere. The recently released silly-as-it-is-sexy music video has the potential to blow MTV's TRL away.
In a dazzling display of balance, executed on a musical high-wire, The Burnside Project has found a way to accommodate the air space needed for essential beats while rocking out like nobody's business on The Network, The Circuits, The Streams, The Harmonies (Bar/None).
One of the first great surprises of 2003, this disc attempts to satisfy both the dance club and rock club camps, and as far as I can tell, succeed on both accounts. Along with an amazing line-up of guest artists (including l d beghtol of Magnetic Fields, Flare and Moth Wranglers renown), primary Burnside Project projector Richard Jankovich picks up where Soul Coughing left off, and gives the folks on the dance floor a reason to listen to more than the beats. 'He Never Knew The Benefits of Caffeine' insists that your body shake along with your hands, 'Cue The Pulse To Begin' and 'Repeat After Me' sound like they ran away from the most recent New Order disc to be with their true family, 'Assessing Your Performance' is where the shoe-gazers and the ravers meet, and 'Heavy Mettle' is lighter than you might think. 'Only Ordinary' is anything but, while all the scratching on 'Foreign Exchange' might make you itch.
This article shared 2718 times since Wed Jan 29, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...