by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2748 times since Wed Mar 26, 2003
In March '03, at the time that this review is being written, Entertainment Tonight is poised to do a special investigatory feature into the controversial underwear advertisements for 2(x)ist. Playing in the background of these 'scandalous' ads is a catchy Eurodisco meets elelctroclash track called 'Automatic Lover.' Sung by Jay-Jay Johanson, who looks and sounds like a Scandinavian version of Howard Jones (complete with bizarre haircut and synthesized soundtrack), the song with it's hypnotic beat, mesmerizing melody, warm vocals and 'See me, feel me, hear me, love me, touch me' chorus, stands on its own and it's easy to understand why an advertiser, who has the youth market in range, would select the tune. The rest of the songs on Antenna (E-Magine) tune into dance culture ('On The Radio' and 'Déjà vu') and get good reception, with a few nods to laid-back after-hours numbers ('Cookie,' 'Open Up,' 'Wonderful Combat'). Whatever the outcome of the 2(x)ist underwear debate, Johansson can rest assured that people will probably be listening to his disc in various states of undress.
Mark Christopher's 1998 movie 54, about the legendary New York disco, was like that bloody car accident you drive by on the highway. You want to cover your eyes, but you can't look away. One of the best things to come of 54, aside from Ryan Phillippe in satin shorts, was the soundtrack. Along with Amber and Ultra Nate, Jocelyn Enriquez comprised the trio Stars on 54 and their remake of 'If You Could Read My Mind,' was a mind-blowing experience. I could do without the religiously devout Jocelyn Enriquez's exaltations to the Lord (can't we just dance?) on her new album All My Life (Jem/Next Plateau). However, it's great when she lets the beat hit us, as on the title track (in which she sends an unfaithful lover packing), 'Why' (in which she lets go of an ex-lover), the disco love song 'No Way No How,' the soulful funk of 'It's No Wonder,' the eternity double entendres of 'Take My Hand' and 'Your Touch.' Enriquez's bible-thumping boogie dominates the disc and continues throughout, on songs such as 'Make Me An Angel' and 'Faith, Hope and Prayer,' to mention a few
This article shared 2748 times since Wed Mar 26, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|Inaugural Heatwave Music Festival in Chicago on July 16-17 2022-05-14|
- Auris Presents announced the debut edition and artist lineup for the Heatwave Music Festival, coming to Chicago on July 16-17 in Douglass Park, 1401 S. Sacramento Dr. According to a press release, the festival will be ...
|MUSIC Ty Herndon releasing 'personal' album 'Jacob' on July 15 2022-05-13|
- Out gay Grammy-nominated and Dove Award-winning country artist Ty Herndon announced the release date of his forthcoming album, Jacob. Jacobcalled Herndon's "most personal album to date"will be out July 15. ...
|Casting announced for 'Queer Eye: The Musical Parody' at Second City 2022-05-13|
- Comedy institution The Second City announced the cast and crew of Queer Eye: The Musical Parody, which will start running Thursday, May 26. (The production will run Thursdays through Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at ...
|MUSIC Riot Fest to take place Sept. 16-18 in Chicago 2022-05-12|
- Riot Festone of the largest remaining independent festivals in the countryis slated to return to Douglass Park on Sept. 16-18. Festival organizers revealed a jam-packed lineup taking up five stages and performing punk, indie rock, hip-hop, ...
|57th Street Art Fair marking 75th anniversary on June 4-5 2022-05-12|
- The 57th Street Art Fair, the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, will mark its 75th anniversary with an in-person celebration on June 4-5 featuring nearly 200 artists, live music presented by Buddy Guy's Legends, and a ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|Chicago Gay Men's Chorus to present 'Unimaginable' on May 20-22 2022-05-11|
- The Chicago Gay Men's Chorus will present the spring show "CGMC: Unimaginable," on May 20-22 at three Chicagoland venues. The performances will take place Friday, May 20, at 8 p.m. at Chicago's Athenaeum Center for Thought ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...
|Lakeside Pride to host 'Sweet Home Chicago' on May 29 [UPDATED] 2022-05-08|
- As part of the 40th annual Pride Bands Alliance Conference, Lakeside Pride will host "Sweet Home Chicago" on Sunday, May 29, at 7 p.m. at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr. Chicago's Lakeside ...
|White Party returns to Palm Springs; celebrities make appearances 2022-05-08|
- After a two-year hiatus, the 32nd Annual White Party Global (formerly White Party Palm Springs) celebrated its return with more than 20,000 attendees from around the globe, a press release noted. Recognized as the longest-running and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hacks,' 'Love, Victor,' Indy 500, Ariana DeBose, queer singers 2022-05-08|
- Queer, non-binary actor Carl Clemons-Hopkins (they/them and he/him) told Out Magazine he is elated with the warm reception received by the show Hacks and his character. "When I started in this years and years ago, there ...
|Inaugural 'River North Live' taking place June 24-26 2022-05-06|
- River North Residents Association announced that its annual festival, formerly Taste of River North, will return with a new venue, date and concept for 2022. Taking place June 24-26, River North Live will feature world-class artists ...
|MUSIC Madonna curating, releasing dance-music compilation 'Finally Enough Love' 2022-05-04|
- Madonna made history once again when she topped the Dance Club Songs chart for the 50th time, making her the first and only recording artist to have 50 number-one hits on any Billboard chart. To celebrate ...