by Gregg Shapiro
This article shared 2433 times since Wed Apr 9, 2003
In March '03, at the time that this review is being written, Entertainment Tonight is poised to do a special investigatory feature into the controversial underwear advertisements for 2(x)ist. Playing in the background of these 'scandalous' ads is a catchy Eurodisco meets elelctroclash track called 'Automatic Lover.' Sung by Jay-Jay Johanson, who looks and sounds like a Scandinavian version of Howard Jones (complete with bizarre haircut and synthesized soundtrack), the song with it's hypnotic beat, mesmerizing melody, warm vocals and 'See me, feel me, hear me, love me, touch me' chorus, stands on its own and it's easy to understand why an advertiser, who has the youth market in range, would select the tune. The rest of the songs on Antenna ((E-Magine) tune into dance culture ('On The Radio' and 'Déjà vu') and get good reception, with a few nods to laid back after-hours numbers ('Cookie,' 'Open Up,' 'Wonderful Combat'). Whatever the outcome of the 2(x)ist underwear debate, Johansson can rest assured that people will probably be listening to his disc in various states of undress.
Mark Christopher's 1998 movie 54, about the legendary New York disco, was like that bloody car accident you drive by on the highway. You want to cover your eyes, but you can't look away. One of the best things to come of 54, aside from Ryan Phillippe in satin shorts, was the soundtrack. Along with Amber and Ultra Nate, Jocelyn Enriquez comprised the trio Stars on 54 and their remake of 'If You Could Read My Mind,' was a mind-blowing experience. I could do without the religiously devout Jocelyn Enriquez's exaltations to the Lord (can't we just dance?) on her new album All My Life (Jem/Next Plateau). However, when she lets the beat hit us, as on the title track (in which she sends an unfaithful lover packing), 'Why' (in which she lets go of an ex-lover), the disco love song 'No Way No How,' the soulful funk of 'It's No Wonder,' the eternity double entendres of 'Take My Hand' and 'Your Touch.' Enriquez's bible-thumping boogie dominates the disc and continues throughout, on songs such as 'Make Me An Angel' and 'Faith, Hope and Prayer,' to mention a few.
This article shared 2433 times since Wed Apr 9, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Queer Chicago rapper Psalm One to perform Aug. 19 at Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest 2022-08-17|
- Psalm One—a queer rapper from Chicago—will take the stage at the annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest on Friday, Aug. 19, at 8:15 p.m. "I'm really, really excited to perform," she told Windy City Times. "I'm nervous, ...
|Billy Masters 2022-08-14|
- "Steven Spielberg recently remade West Side Story and bent over [backward] to respect ethnicities and ended up pleasing nobody. And it's too bad, because the original musical was written by Stephen Sondheim, Arthur Laurents and Leonard ...
|Taste of Greektown festival returns to Chicago Aug. 26-28 2022-08-14|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOGreektown Chicago's Taste of Greektown festival returns for its 32nd year this summer with the city's largest celebration of Hellenic cuisine and culture on Friday-Sunday, Aug. 26-28 along Halsted Street from Adams to Van Buren. The ...
|Chicago trans rapper Lila Star releases new song 2022-08-14|
Video below - Chicago trans rapper Lila Star (most known for her guest vocals on Shea Coulee's 2017 single "Cocky") has released the music video for her latest single, "Sex Appeal," which may strike some as a tribute to ...
|THEATER Kokandy's 'Sweeney Todd' running Sept. 8-Nov. 6 2022-08-12|
- Kokandy Productions will continue its 10th-anniversary season with a revival of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street that will run Sept. 8-Nov. 6. The production will feature music and lyrics by Sondheim, ...
|Market Days marks 40 years 2022-08-09|
- The Northalsted Market Days street festival returned to the Halsted Street area for its 40th anniversary on Aug. 6 -7. Running from Belmont Avenue to Addison Street, a $15 suggested donation greeted attendees as they entered ...
|PASSAGES Singer/actress Olivia Newton-John dead at 73 2022-08-08|
- Olivia Newton-John—the Australian singer who charmed generations of viewers in the 1978 blockbuster movie Grease and had such music hits as "Physical," with both garnering many LGBTQ+ fans—died Aug. 8 at age 73, according to media ...
|SHOWBIZ Jane Lynch, Dwayne Johnson, 'Star Trek,' Beyonce, Shea Coulee 2022-08-07|
- NBC has renewed the Jane Lynch-hosted game show Weakest Link for a third season, Variety noted. Season three will run for 20 episodes. The series is based on a British format distributed by BBC Studios that ...
|Lollapalooza lit up with LGBTQ+ acts in 2022 2022-08-02|
- The annual outdoor festival Lollapalooza ran July 28-31 in Chicago, displaying a wide spectrum of talentincluding many LGBTQ+ actsthis year on nine stages. The music carnival began as an eclectic ...
|THEATER 'Cabaret' coming to Metropolis Arts on Sept. 15 2022-08-02|
- Musical Broadway classic and hit film Cabaret re-creates the decadent and complicated world of 1929 Berlin at the Arlington Heights venue Metropolis Performing Arts Centre on Sept. 15-Oct. 22. Cabaret is Kander and Ebb's legendary musical ...
|Lollapalooza to be in Chicago for at least the next 10 years 2022-08-01|
- Get ready to see a lot more musical acts, crop tops and (mostly younger) people in Grant Park for at least the next decade of summers. Chicago Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot announced July 31 that the ...
|SHOWBIZ Comic Con, WNBA player, Timothee Chalamet, Kate McKinnon 2022-07-31|
- Out Magazine listed at least seven LGBTQ+-related characters and projects that were unveiled at San Diego Comic Con. Some of them include Michaela Coel (from TV's I May Destroy You) as a queer character in the ...
|Chicago announces lineups for Marquee Fall Music Festivals 2022-07-30|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) announced today music lineups and expanded date information for three of the City of Chicago's most ...
|Northalsted Market Days to take place Aug. 6-7 2022-07-30|
- The 40th Northalsted Market Daysa live music street festival celebrating community in Chicago's Northalsted/Lakeview districtwill take place Aug. 6-7. The half-mile long summer festival features all-day lineups of live music ...
|21st annual Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest taking place Aug. 19-21 2022-07-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (July 26, 2022)The popular Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest (GAAF) announces complete music lineup for the three-day festival, headlined by Chicago rapper Psalm One, Rock n Roll band from New ...