WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 3197 times since Wed Jun 16, 2004
Pictured 'They're your doctors, they're your lawyers' ... Mayor Richard Daley welcomed the diversity of Chicago's GLBT community at his annual Mayor's pride reception June 8 at the Cultural Center. Even protester Andy Thayer got his two cents in during a post-speech meet-and-greet. Daley reiterated his support of the GLBT community, including for marriage and civil-rights issues. He also gave his strong support to the Gay Games coming to Chicago in 2006. Pictured behind him is GLBT Advisory Councilmember Bill Kelley. Remaining photos:
Richard Gray with Daley; Lourdes Rodriguez receives her honor Daley received a special poster showing his support of gay marriage, from Mayor's liaison Bill Greaves. The Health Dept. and Homofrecuencia honorees. Daley and Ald. Tom Tunney. Pride Parade Coordinator Rich Pfeiffer receives a copy of the Mayor's annual pride proclamation. Photos by Tracy Baim
Mayor Richard Daley hosted his annual Mayor's GLBT pride reception June 8 at the Cultural Center—in lieu of his marching in the parade, since he takes off Sundays. Daley received strong applause for his support of same-sex marriage, and said of the Gay Games: 'We look forward to hosting the Gay Games in '06 and I want to thank all the organizers, and all those who have worked so hard on this. This is going to be a great event for the city of Chicago and I deeply appreciate all the people that worked so hard on this event and on getting it here in '06 in the city of Chicago.'
Awards were given to activists Richard Gray and Lourdes Rodriguez, the Latino/a gay youth radio show Homofrecuencia, and the Chicago Department of Health.
This article shared 3197 times since Wed Jun 16, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ 'Sex Education' star, Rotten Tomatoes, Jessica Lange, Queer/Art 2023-09-08|
Video below - Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa officially came out during an interview with Elle UK, according to Out. "I remember being at Manchester Pride, going through the streets with all my boys, shaking my cha-chas, living it ...
|Brave Space Alliance holds Post Pride Mixer 2023-08-30|
- On Aug. 27, Brave Space Alliance held its Post Pride Mixer at popular lesbian-owned bar Nobody's Darling. The social gathering celebrated past accomplishments while looking forward to new horizons for both the service organization and the ...
|UIC among nation's top 30 campuses for LGBTQ+ students 2023-08-25|
--From a press release - The University of Illinois Chicago has been named one of the top 30 colleges and universities for LGBTQ+ students, according to Campus Pride, a national organization serving LGBTQ+ and ally student leaders and campus organizations in ...
|Orlando Pride crushes Chicago Red Stars 2023-08-21|
- In Florida's Exploria Stadium on Aug. 20, the Orlando Pride thrashed the Chicago Red Stars 5-0 in professional women's soccer action, according to WFTV. Four players scored for Orlando, led ...
|Calif. store owner killed over Pride flag display 2023-08-21|
- In California, Cedar Glen business owner Laura Ann Carleton was shot and killed after a dispute over the Pride flag she'd displayed outside her shop, The Advocate reported. Authorities received a report that someone had been ...
|WORLD Ethiopia, London attack, monument vandalized, British royals 2023-08-18|
- Ethiopian LGBTQ+-rights activists said that authorities are targeting venues frequented by LGBTQ+ people in the nation, particularly in the capital city, Addis Ababa, per The Advocate. In addition, LGBTQ+ Ethiopians ...
|NATIONAL Drag news, HIV-bias lawsuit, Disney, Brittney Griner, gay dancer 2023-08-04|
- Swastika flag-toting neo-Nazis, some of them armed, were at a Wisconsin LGBTQ+ Pride celebration that included a drag show, The Advocate reported. Members of the neo-Nazi extremist group Blood Tribe joined other right-wing hate groups, like ...
|Dancer O'Shae Sibley murdered amid rising violence against LGBTQs; GLAAD highlights trend 2023-08-01|
--From a press release - At least five LGBTQ people have been murdered in recent weeks, following a dramatic spike in anti-LGBTQ hate and harassment during Pride month. GLAAD: "[O'Shae] Sibley's shocking murder follows a disturbing rise in violence and harassment ...
|NATIONAL Laws challenged, trans man killed, lesbian bars, conversion therapy 2023-07-28|
- The organizers of Montana's largest LGBTQ+ Pride parade joined a lawsuit challenging a state law aimed at restricting drag performances, according to NBC News. A group of Montanans, including a transgender woman and the owners of ...
|A Transparent Musical debuts at LA's Mark Taper Forum, first Amazon original series on stage 2023-07-11|
--From a press release - CULVER CITY, California—July 10, 2023—For the first time, Amazon Studios has debuted an original series on stage with A Transparent Musical. The musical began performances at Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles ahead of Pride Month ...
|Large mob storms Pride event in Eurasian country of Georgia 2023-07-09|
- On July 8, hundreds of counterprotesters stormed Georgia's annual LGBTQ+ Pride festival in the capital of Tbilisi, causing authorities to evacuate the event, Politico reported. In a statement, Tbilisi Pride organizers said they had been forced ...
|PrideIndex hosts Esteem Awards 2023-07-07|
- PrideIndex, a Chicago-based website centering the Black LGBTQ+ community, held its 16th annual Esteem Awards on July 1 at Sidetrack. The event took place during Chicago's Black Pride holiday weekend. The non-profit Esteem Awards is an ...
|WORLD Trans official, Bolsonaro, Pride marches, school policy, Qantas 2023-07-07|
- Symmy Larrata transgender woman who is a member of Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's governmenttold The Washington Blade that the storming of her country's Congress, Presidential Palace and ...
|Pride South Side and DuSable close out June celebrations 2023-07-03|
- On July 1, DuSable Museum and Pride South Side presented Present and Beyond: The Fifth Annual Chicago Black Pride South Side Festival at 740 E. 56th Place. The event was the best-attended of the last four ...
|Campus Pride: College administrations must articulate plans to combat systemic racism in admissions 2023-06-30|
--From a Campus Pride press release - CHARLOTTE, N.C., June 30, 2023 — Campus Pride decries the Supreme Court's ruling in Students for Fair Admissions, Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College, which prohibits colleges and universities from considering race as an ...