WINDY CITY TIMES
||DNC on Trump's Promise to Help Discriminate Against LGBTQ Families
This article shared 1146 times since Fri Feb 8, 2019
Today, President Trump vowed to "always protect our country's long and proud tradition of faith-based adoption" and praised a Michigan adoption charity for discriminating against qualified LGBTQ families. In response, DNC LGBTQ Media Director Lucas Acosta released the following statement:
"President Trump has yet again attacked LGBTQ people, this time at the expense of children in need of a home. With more than 400,000 children in foster care nationwide, Trump should focus on increasing the placement of children with qualified potential parents, not supporting state-funded discrimination against LGBTQ families. Every child deserves a home, and every qualified person seeking to adopt deserves to be considered.
"With a new House majority — made up of a historic amount of LGBTQ members — Democrats will continue to take a stand against the hateful Trump-GOP agenda."
—From a press release
This article shared 1146 times since Fri Feb 8, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Senate hearings for Gina Ortiz Jones, Shawn Skelly; historic if confirmed 2021-06-16|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — The Senate Armed Services Committee will hold confirmation hearings for two LGBTQ presidential nominees this Wednesday and both will make history if confirmed. Gina Ortiz Jones, nominated for Under Secretary of the Air ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation making Juneteenth an official state holiday 2021-06-16|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD On June 16, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed legislation declaring June 19, Juneteenth, an official state holiday. To commemorate the abolition of slavery throughout the United States and its territories in 1865, Juneteenth will ...
|NATIONAL Panic defense, VP Kamala Harris, Black LGBTQ app, crime items 2021-06-13|
- Four states and the nation's capital have taken action to ban the so-called LGBTQ "panic defense," which is a legal strategy used by defendants to cite a victim's sexual orientation or gender identity as an excuse ...
|Congress makes Pulse Nightclub a national memorial 2021-06-12|
- The U.S. Senate unanimously passed legislation designating the site of the Pulse Nightclub a national memorial, NBC News reported. The House passed its version of the bill May 12. The measure now goes to President Joe ...
|Chicago has moved to Phase 5 2021-06-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, along with CDPH Commissioner Allison Arwady, M.D. BACP Commissioner Rosa Escareño, city and community leaders, announced Chicago has moved to Phase 5, fully reopening the city as of June ...
|ON THE MOVE How Chicago's 'gayborhoods' have shifted since 1965 2021-06-10|
- Chicago's gayborhoods (LGBTQ+ neighborhoods) and safe spaces have been important to the city's LGBTQ+ rights movement—and saving them post-COVID may be crucial. New research at Georgetown University highlights the importance ...
|Lightfoot marks Pride Month at Legacy Project event 2021-06-08|
- Mayor Lori Lightfoot was among the speakers at a June 7 Legacy Project event marking Chicago's 2021 Pride Month observance. Other speakers at the event, which was moved indoors to Center on Halsted due to inclement ...
|WORLD: Domestic violence, activist dies, Jerusalem Pride, Olympics 2021-06-06|
- On May 28, the LGBTQ Domestic Violence Foundation launched its #SeenAndBelieved campaign to shine a light on the prevalence of DFV (domestic and family violence) in LGBTQ communities, aiming to break down the barriers to victims ...
|NATIONAL Election news, AsylumConnect, Pride business items, 'Bears' 2021-06-06|
- In Pennsylvania, in a race between contenders in the Democratic primary for Erie County executive, Tyler Titusa trans person who currently serves as Erie School Board presidentwas declared the winner, according to The Washington Blade. Titus ...
|First gay Black man elected to office in Texas 2021-06-06|
- On June 5, Jalen McKee-Rodriguez was elected to represent District 2 for the San Antonio City Councilmaking him the first openly gay Black man elected to any office in Texas history, KEN5.com reported. McKee-Rodriguez, 26, defeated ...
|Noriega named chair of the state's Human Rights Commission 2021-06-05|
- Among the appointments Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker named to various state boards and commissions on June 4 was Mona Noriega as chair of the Human Rights Commission. ...
|Harold J. Phillips appointed director of the White House Office of National AIDS Policy 2021-06-05|
--From a press release - Statement from Jeffrey S. Crowley, distinguished scholar and director of the Infectious Disease Initiatives at the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University Law Center: I applaud President Biden's appointment of ...
|Trans-affirming election legislation passed by Illinois General Assembly, Equality Illinois responds 2021-06-04|
--From a press release - Statement from Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, on passage of Senate Bill 825, the trans-affirming election omnibus legislation passed by the Illinois General Assembly on Monday, May 31, 2021: "During Pride Month and at ...
|Cook County commissioners mark Pride Month 2021-06-04|
- On June 1, Cook County commissioners held a flag-raising event at Daley Plaza to celebrate Pride Month. Among those who spoke were openly gay Commissioner Kevin Morrison. In part, he said, "By raising the rainbow flag, ...
|Mayra Hidalgo Salazar named National LGBTQ Task Force Deputy ED 2021-06-03|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. — The National LGBTQ Task Force has named Mayra Hidalgo Salazar (she/her/ella) as its new Deputy Executive Director, effective today. Hidalgo Salazar will join recently appointed Executive Director ...