WINDY CITY TIMES
||DC Marriage Law Closer to Reality
News update, Feb. 19, 2010
This article shared 3365 times since Wed Feb 17, 2010
With Washington, D.C.'s same-sex marriage law expected to take effect on March 3, marriage equality opponents have stepped up their efforts to try to halt the law's implementation by forcing a public referendum. Today, opponents went to court seeking a preliminary injunction, which would have stayed the effective date of the Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Equality Act of 2009. After hearing from both sides, Judge Holeman tentatively denied the motion from the bench, ruling that the court lacked the power "to usurp the legislative process," that opponents did not establish a substantial likelihood of success on the merits and that they would not suffer irreparable harm if the law were to take effect as scheduled.
Judge Holeman's ruling is the latest in legal setbacks for opponents of marriage equality in D.C., where for decades the law has presciently prohibited initiatives and referenda that cause discrimination under the Human Rights Act. Three times now the Board of Elections & Ethics has rejected proposed initiatives and referenda that would invalidate legislation overwhelmingly passed by the Council and signed by the mayor recognizing same-sex marriages. The courts have uniformly rejected opponents' claims that they are being denied a right to vote and have upheld D.C.'s strong anti-discrimination protections.
The preliminary injunction sought by opponents is likely the last obstacle before D.C. becomes the sixth U.S. jurisdiction to recognize same-sex marriages. Opponents have vowed to pursue the appeals process, both to stop implementation of the law and to eventually qualify a Prop-8 style initiative defining marriage as between a man and woman. However, as March 3rd — the end of the 30-day Congressional review period — approaches, supporters can be increasingly optimistic that the nation's capital will soon serve as a powerful and poignant symbol of marriage equality.
FROM AN HRC NEWS RELEASE
This article shared 3365 times since Wed Feb 17, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|[UPDATE] Lisle school offers job to lacrosse coach in same-sex marriage 2021-09-21|
- The administration at Lisle’s Benet Academy, a west suburban Catholic school, has reversed course and offered a job to a woman in a same-sex marriage after initially rescinding the offer, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Pope again refuses to bless same-sex marriages 2021-09-18|
- Pope Francis told reporters recently on a return flight from Hungary that the Catholic Church is unable to bless same-sex marriages because marriage is a divine sacrament between a man and a woman, per The Advocate. ...
|Polis marriage marks first same-sex wedding of sitting governor 2021-09-17|
- On Sept. 15, Colorado Democratic Gov. Jared Polis wed longtime partner Marlon Reis—marking the first same-sex marriage of a sitting U.S. governor, NPR reported. Polis keeps making history. In 2018, Polis became the first openly gay ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate two Illinois marriage certificate modernization bills 2021-07-27|
--From a press release - Trans and non-binary people who were married in Illinois will now be able to obtain marriage certificates that reflect their authentic selves thanks to legislation signed today by Governor JB Pritzker, according to Equality Illinois and ...
|WORLD Marriage in Chile, Polish website, Toronto news, 'Reclaim Pride' march 2021-07-25|
- On July 21, Chile's Senate approved an equal-marriage bill, DW.com reported. The regulations were presented during the second government of the socialist Michelle Bachelet (2014-2018) and last June 1, during ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate passage of Illinois marriage certificate name change legislation 2021-05-28|
--From a press release - LGBTQ advocates are celebrating passage of state legislation that will provide certainty for individuals requesting that their Illinois marriage certificates reflect a legal name change. HB 2590 is an initiative of Equality Illinois and Chicago House ...
|LGBT-inclusive marriage-certificate act passes state General Assembly 2021-05-21|
--From a press release - May 21. 2021 - In an effort to modernize marriage certificates in Illinois, state Sen. Sara Feigenholtz and state Rep. Ann Williams helped pass The Marriage Certificate Modernization Act through the Illinois General Assembly. The legislation ...
|Starting May 3, ceremonies in Cook County's downtown Marriage Court can be performed by Zoom 2021-04-30|
- CHICAGO (April 30) — Marriage and civil union ceremonies at Cook County's downtown Marriage and Civil Union Court (Marriage Court) may be performed via Zoom videoconference, as well as in person, starting next week, according to ...
|Illinois Senate passes proposal removing gendered language from marriage certificates
--From a press release - On April 21, on its third reading, the Illinois Senate passed (by a bipartisan vote of 44-13) a proposal that amends the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act to allow the removal of gendered language ...
|Russian leader Putin officially bans same-sex marriage
- On April 5, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a series of constitutional amendments that, among other things, formally defines marriage as between a man and a woman in the country, The Washington Blade reported. ...
|Global momentum for marriage equality surges,"Freedom to Marry Global" website created 2021-03-31|
--From a freedomtomarry.org press release - April 1st marks twenty years since the Netherlands ended the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage, becoming the first of so far 30 countries worldwide to affirm the freedom to marry for same-sex couples. Now, two ...
|WORLD Landmark ruling, Montreal's Gay Village, acid attack, anti-LGBTQ laws 2021-03-21|
- In a landmark ruling, a Japanese court ruled that the government's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, NPR noted. Article 24 of Japan's constitution defines marriage as based on the "mutual consent of both sexes," which ...
|LETTER The Vatican's words and actions do not echo love 2021-03-18|
- The LGBTQA community is responding with shock, anger and frustration at the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith statement concerning same-sex unions. Many in our community can't understand why Pope Francis would allow such a ...
|Pope Francis documentary 'Francesco' to debut March 26
- Pope Francisin the news lately because of the Catholic Church's stance that it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriageis the subject of ...
|DignityUSA: Vatican denying same-sex blessings "Exacerbates pain and anger" 2021-03-16|
--From a press release - March 15, 2021. DignityUSA, the organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQI people in the church and society, is deeply disappointed by the Vatican's statement unequivocally denying blessings to same-sex coupl ...