||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 2240 times since Wed Jun 10, 2015
Calling a song "The Song of Summer" is becoming almost as significant of the UK's "Christmas Single," where it's hotly debated over and marketed every year as a sign of pride and good sales. In the past few years, we've usually had an even tie among a cluster of songs such as Icona Pop's "I Love It," "Happy" by Pharrell, "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke and last year's "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea. And what all these had in common is that they were released and ramped up in the spring, so that by the time Pride rolled around, we could all fully lip sync along or know to run away at first chord. This year, the race is either too muddled or a broad, varietal playing field. Depends on how you look at it.
Early contenders such as "Feeling Myself" ( Nicki Minaj feat. Beyonce ), "One Last Time" ( Ariana Grande ), "Pretty Girls" ( Britney ), "Bitch Better Have My Money" ( Rihanna ) and anything off Rebel Heart have come and gone quietly with little fanfare, to the disappointment of their labels. "Uptown Funk" which is bizarrely at #5 this week after 29 weeks ( that's Christmas, dear ) is still holding strong, but even the basic-est of bitches is tiring of that one. So where does that leave us for anthems?
Well Fetty Wap's "Trap Queen" is high on the charts right now, but lacks the punch to be a real daytime party track, unless you're high at a backyard BBQ. Plus Fetty's missing eye creeps out your mother.
Novelty can sometimes work ( see "Gangnam Style" ), which might help Lil Mama's adorable "Sausage," but it might be held back by its sheer terribleness. Terrible in a good, camp way, but still. I say pair that one up with Ivy Levan's adorable "Biscuit" and there's your breakfast.
Maroon 5 has two contenders with "Sugar,"which has been out a whileand "This Summer's Gonna Hurt Like a Motherf****r." "Sugar" might be long and rotten in tooth ( pun intended ), but still high on the charts; "This Summer" has the benefitlike Lana Del Ray's past hit, "Summertime Sadness,"of namechecking. Plus the remixes are already sickening.
74-year-old producer Giorgio Moroder might have the actual album of the summer, if previews prove correct, but so far tracks by Britney, Sia and Charli XCX have been well-received, but not chart-worthy and, frankly, too cool for the kids.
My pick, if it all goes my way, would be "Shut Up and Dance" by Walk the Moon, a direct ode to equal parts Rick Springfield and U2 that actually sounds like a legit pop rock track, not the overly-produced grabs at the teens like Maroon 5 has been churning out. "Shut Up" being a summer hit could signify a great new direction in pop, because if you look to our old fallbacks mentioned earlier, summer might be over soon.
Go to Moose's Moosebox Facebook page and tell us what you think will be the "Song of Summer."
This article shared 2240 times since Wed Jun 10, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lollapalooza expected to return July 29-Aug. 1 2021-05-14|
- The Lollapalooza Festival will return to Chicago with a four-day event at its usual place and date range Grant Park, July 29-Aug. 1according to Variety. The City of Chicago gave the event the green light ...
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...