||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 1734 times since Wed Mar 2, 2011
BRIDGING THE ROCK/DANCE GAP WITH SKRILLEX
Rock and dance have had a rather up and down, Cox/Arquette relationship over the years. Rock music basically started out as "dance music" but as lines between black and white music became more distinct, with rock becoming more white and dance becoming more ethnic and gay through the '60s and into the '70s, there was a very wide line drawn by the disco era. Rock acts like The Rolling Stones, KISS, Blondie, Queen, and Rod Stewart tried to work in the rock beat to hit records, but failed cred, while disco acts like Donna Summer and The Village People tried rocking it, only to fail. After that, the cold war was on and disco was dead, leaving the burgeouning dance music of '80s keyboard bands far from rocking.
In recent years acts like The Killers, Scissor Sisters and Linkin Park have lifted the unwritten ban on crossing dance and rock in a respectable, quality way. So the next step is for a full-on rocker to go full-on dance, with no reservations.
Finally, Skrillex is going there. The project/band came out of the mind of guitarist Sonny Moore of the post-hardcore (think crappy bands from the Warped Tour) band From First to Last; with screaming frat boy vocals and bravado, it's far from anything fun. However, his new EP, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites (out now on Big Beat/Atlantic) is all fun for all. With a mix of straight up Jersey Shore house and British Dubstep, Sonny takes his guitar-influenced shredding and grinding and puts it to his mousepad creating a dirty, manipulating seduction of a record. Outside the grind, he even takes it mainstream dance for two delicious vocal tracks, "Without You Friends" and "All I Ask Of You" (not from Phantom!). And you really get your money's worth on this one: On top of five great new tracks, you get remixes by Bare Noize, Zedd and Noisa that never break the mood of this prelude to Skrillex's long-awaited full length CD. Maybe with this musical bridge we will draw a few more of those hot straight boys onto the dancefloor.
This article shared 1734 times since Wed Mar 2, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
| Chicago Fire FC wins first-ever Midwest Emmy Award 2022-12-07|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Dec. 6, 2022) — Chicago Fire FC has been awarded the Club's first ever Regional Emmy Award in the category of "Outstanding Crafts Achievement for Graphics Arts/Motion Graphics/ Art Direction/Set Design" as a part of ...
|The City of Chicago commits to advertising equity in local media 2022-10-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot signed an executive order designating that City of Chicago departments allocate at least 50 percent of their annual advertising spending to community media outlets. More than 153 languages are spoken in households ...
|Fire FC falls to CF Montreal; Cubs and White Sox win 2022-09-14|
- On Sept. 13, the Chicago Fire FC (9-14-8) fell 3-2 to CF Montreal (17-9-5) at Stade Saputo. Chicago's three-game unbeaten run (1-0-2) was snapped. Designated player Xherdan Shaqiri converted two penalty kicks on the night, but ...
|NATIONAL Gay judge, brewery threatened, Victory Fund, AIDS Quilt 2022-08-28|
- New York's highest court has designated Associate Judge Anthony Cannataro to serve as acting chief judge after Janet DiFiore steps down, Gay City News reported. Cannataro, the former administrative judge of New York City's civil court, ...
|Skaters from Chicago BIPOC queer collective froSkate release Nike SB shoe 2022-08-17|
- Members of froSkate—an organization dedicated to creating safe spaces for BIPOC queer skateboarders—recently became the first Black women to design a colorful sneaker with Nike SB, and the shoe was recently released. Two of froSkate's le ...
|ACTIVITIES Architectural Artifacts brings the goods to new Chicago location 2022-07-15|
- Following its 35-year legacy as one of the nation's top destinations for globally sourced design and architectural statement pieces, Architectural Artifacts, Inc. (AAI) has reimagined a 35,000-square-foot Mid Century-style school ...
|Out at CHM's 'Dancing for Life' to take place June 23 2022-06-10|
- The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., is continuing its Out at CHM series with "Dancing for Life: Moving through HIV/AIDS" on Thursday, June 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m. In honor of Chicago designating 2022 as the ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation addressing rise in organized retail thefts 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — On May 13, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker joined Attorney General Kwame Raoul, lawmakers, advocates and law-enforcement officials to sign legislation designed to combat a nationwide rise in coordinated retail thefts. "This new law represents ...
|Brittney Griner gets new designation; Black LGBTQ+ group responds 2022-05-03|
- The United States is now saying lesbian WNBA player Brittney Griner is wrongfully detained in Russia, NPR reported. The shift in language indicates the United States will work more aggressively to secure her release. The State ...
|LGBTQ Catholic resource Outreach launches 2022-05-02|
- Outreacha new website designed to help LGBTQ Catholics, their families and friends, and those who minister to them in the churchhas launched. Outreach will publish news stories and essays from around the world; offer a resource ...
|COVID Latest travel update: 9.7% of country at 'Medium' or 'High' level 2022-04-30|
- In the CDC's weekly update of COVID-19 Community Levels released April 29, 9.7 percent—or 314—of the 3,220 counties in the United States and Puerto Rico are now designated at a "Medium" or "High" COVID-19 level. That ...
|Designs for Dignity gala on May 19 2022-04-19|
- Designs for Dignity's annual fundraising gala, "Spirit of Design," will take place Thursday, May 19, 6-10 p.m., and will celebrate more than 20 years of impact on Chicago's nonprofit community. The event will take place at ...
|POLITICS Gay media owner to run for Chicago mayor 2022-04-06|
- Dennis J. "DJ" Doran—the openly gay owner of the LGBTQ+-focused Aequalitas Media—is planning a run for Chicago mayor. Doran, a Lake View resident, has acknowledged he is an outsider—but he also believes that designation is an ...