|DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 2168 times since Wed Feb 16, 2011
Friday, February 11, 2011. Ground Zero. Chicago.
No, not thousands of Egyptian residents rejoicing as Hosni Mubarak steps down, or even gay icon Robyn playing live again, but the first taste of Lady GaGa's new material today. And it's a very familiar flavor at that: a hint of Madonna.
Now trust, there is nothing more clichéd than a gay music critic comparing Madonna to Gaga, I'm aware. But this truly is the first time I've noticed it in her production and writing vs. just in her imagery. The chorus of La'gaga's new single "Born This Way" is directly lifted from Madge's "Express Yourself" (thank you Matthew Harvat for pointing that one out) and the fading clicks at the end couldn't be more "Express Yourself."
As you're probably aware, this isn't the first time someone has tried to cop Madonna's sound. The first one I recollect is one-hit wonder Regina whose single "Baby Love" was so similar to everything off Madonna's self-titled first album that we all thought it was a new Madonna single when it hit the radio in 1986. Turns out Baby Love was written for Madonna with Steven Bray (Madonna's main collaborator in her early years), but Regina decided to keep it for herself instead. Good move for one hit, but she was so close to Madonna but without the sexy charisma that there was no need for Regina in the pop world after that.
Madonna then didn't get much in the way of imitators until the '90s when Kylie Minogue and Cathy Dennis, both in the downward slide of their careers, tried on her mid-period sound on Kylie's Where is the Feeling and Cathy's entire Into the Skyline, produced by collaborator Shep Pettibone. Well, those two attempts bombed. So, lets flash forward to 2009.
The heinous Black Eyed Peas had one glimmer of quality when Fergie and Will.i.am paid homage to the Like a Virgin era with "Meet Me Halfway," even working the word "borderline" into the chorus. If it wasn't for the lame wrapping, it would have been the best Madonna track in years. This tribute, combined with "Born This Way," shows that aping Madonna is truly in "Vogue." Now, if only Ms. Ciccone herself could tap into that, she could still snatch that crown form Ms. Germanotta's little monster head.
This article shared 2168 times since Wed Feb 16, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Artemis Singers' winter performance inspires listeners to 'Embrace the Night' 2024-01-11
- This winter's annual Artemis Singers' concert, "Embracing the Night," is designed to help listeners connect with their inner strength as they brave the cold winter months. The program begins at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 20 ...
|NHL bans Pride Tape from hockey games and practices 2023-10-11
- The National Hockey League (NHL) has designated that athletes will no longer be able to show support to the LGBTQ+ community while playing, according to Out, which cited Outsports. The league has issued a ban of ...
|Supreme Court rules in favor of anti-gay Colorado web designer, LGBTQ+ groups respond 2023-06-30
- On June 30, the U.S. Supreme Court—which has a conservative majority—ruled in favor of Lorie Smith, an evangelical Christian web designer from Colorado who refuses to work on same-sex weddings, ...
|Viktor Luna moonlights once again on Project Runway 2023-06-14
- Out and proud fashion designer Viktor Luna returns for more challenges in the upcoming season 20 of Project Runway. The Emmy Award-winning competition series has assembled 14 designers from its past, with Christian Siriano serving as ...
|NATIONAL Pro-trans measures, Lambda Legal, Elizabeth Taylor event, drag items, 'The L Word' 2023-04-29
- While at least 12 states have passed legislation to limit or ban gender-affirming healthcare for young people, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico and Minnesota have passed bills designed to shield ...
|HRC applauds Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing extremist attacks on transgender lives 2023-04-21
--From a press release - Topeka, KS - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, commended Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing a total of four bills designe ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
| Chicago Fire FC wins first-ever Midwest Emmy Award 2022-12-07
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Dec. 6, 2022) — Chicago Fire FC has been awarded the Club's first ever Regional Emmy Award in the category of "Outstanding Crafts Achievement for Graphics Arts/Motion Graphics/ Art Direction/Set Design" as a part of ...
|The City of Chicago commits to advertising equity in local media 2022-10-26
-- From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot signed an executive order designating that City of Chicago departments allocate at least 50 percent of their annual advertising spending to community media outlets. More than 153 languages are spoken in households ...
|Fire FC falls to CF Montreal; Cubs and White Sox win 2022-09-14
- On Sept. 13, the Chicago Fire FC (9-14-8) fell 3-2 to CF Montreal (17-9-5) at Stade Saputo. Chicago's three-game unbeaten run (1-0-2) was snapped. Designated player Xherdan Shaqiri converted two penalty kicks on the night, but ...
|NATIONAL Gay judge, brewery threatened, Victory Fund, AIDS Quilt 2022-08-28
- New York's highest court has designated Associate Judge Anthony Cannataro to serve as acting chief judge after Janet DiFiore steps down, Gay City News reported. Cannataro, the former administrative judge of New York City's civil court, ...
|Skaters from Chicago BIPOC queer collective froSkate release Nike SB shoe 2022-08-17
- Members of froSkate—an organization dedicated to creating safe spaces for BIPOC queer skateboarders—recently became the first Black women to design a colorful sneaker with Nike SB, and the shoe was recently released. Two of froSkate's le ...
|ACTIVITIES Architectural Artifacts brings the goods to new Chicago location 2022-07-15
- Following its 35-year legacy as one of the nation's top destinations for globally sourced design and architectural statement pieces, Architectural Artifacts, Inc. (AAI) has reimagined a 35,000-square-foot Mid Century-style school ...