||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 1876 times since Wed Feb 16, 2011
Friday, February 11, 2011. Ground Zero. Chicago.
No, not thousands of Egyptian residents rejoicing as Hosni Mubarak steps down, or even gay icon Robyn playing live again, but the first taste of Lady GaGa's new material today. And it's a very familiar flavor at that: a hint of Madonna.
Now trust, there is nothing more clichéd than a gay music critic comparing Madonna to Gaga, I'm aware. But this truly is the first time I've noticed it in her production and writing vs. just in her imagery. The chorus of La'gaga's new single "Born This Way" is directly lifted from Madge's "Express Yourself" (thank you Matthew Harvat for pointing that one out) and the fading clicks at the end couldn't be more "Express Yourself."
As you're probably aware, this isn't the first time someone has tried to cop Madonna's sound. The first one I recollect is one-hit wonder Regina whose single "Baby Love" was so similar to everything off Madonna's self-titled first album that we all thought it was a new Madonna single when it hit the radio in 1986. Turns out Baby Love was written for Madonna with Steven Bray (Madonna's main collaborator in her early years), but Regina decided to keep it for herself instead. Good move for one hit, but she was so close to Madonna but without the sexy charisma that there was no need for Regina in the pop world after that.
Madonna then didn't get much in the way of imitators until the '90s when Kylie Minogue and Cathy Dennis, both in the downward slide of their careers, tried on her mid-period sound on Kylie's Where is the Feeling and Cathy's entire Into the Skyline, produced by collaborator Shep Pettibone. Well, those two attempts bombed. So, lets flash forward to 2009.
The heinous Black Eyed Peas had one glimmer of quality when Fergie and Will.i.am paid homage to the Like a Virgin era with "Meet Me Halfway," even working the word "borderline" into the chorus. If it wasn't for the lame wrapping, it would have been the best Madonna track in years. This tribute, combined with "Born This Way," shows that aping Madonna is truly in "Vogue." Now, if only Ms. Ciccone herself could tap into that, she could still snatch that crown form Ms. Germanotta's little monster head.
This article shared 1876 times since Wed Feb 16, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|ACTIVITIES Architectural Artifacts brings the goods to new Chicago location 2022-07-15|
- Following its 35-year legacy as one of the nation's top destinations for globally sourced design and architectural statement pieces, Architectural Artifacts, Inc. (AAI) has reimagined a 35,000-square-foot Mid Century-style school ...
|Out at CHM's 'Dancing for Life' to take place June 23 2022-06-10|
- The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., is continuing its Out at CHM series with "Dancing for Life: Moving through HIV/AIDS" on Thursday, June 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m. In honor of Chicago designating 2022 as the ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation addressing rise in organized retail thefts 2022-05-13|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — On May 13, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker joined Attorney General Kwame Raoul, lawmakers, advocates and law-enforcement officials to sign legislation designed to combat a nationwide rise in coordinated retail thefts. "This new law represents ...
|Brittney Griner gets new designation; Black LGBTQ+ group responds 2022-05-03|
- The United States is now saying lesbian WNBA player Brittney Griner is wrongfully detained in Russia, NPR reported. The shift in language indicates the United States will work more aggressively to secure her release. The State ...
|LGBTQ Catholic resource Outreach launches 2022-05-02|
- Outreacha new website designed to help LGBTQ Catholics, their families and friends, and those who minister to them in the churchhas launched. Outreach will publish news stories and essays from around the world; offer a resource ...
|COVID Latest travel update: 9.7% of country at 'Medium' or 'High' level 2022-04-30|
- In the CDC's weekly update of COVID-19 Community Levels released April 29, 9.7 percent—or 314—of the 3,220 counties in the United States and Puerto Rico are now designated at a "Medium" or "High" COVID-19 level. That ...
|Designs for Dignity gala on May 19 2022-04-19|
- Designs for Dignity's annual fundraising gala, "Spirit of Design," will take place Thursday, May 19, 6-10 p.m., and will celebrate more than 20 years of impact on Chicago's nonprofit community. The event will take place at ...
|POLITICS Gay media owner to run for Chicago mayor 2022-04-06|
- Dennis J. "DJ" Doran—the openly gay owner of the LGBTQ+-focused Aequalitas Media—is planning a run for Chicago mayor. Doran, a Lake View resident, has acknowledged he is an outsider—but he also believes that designation is an ...
|Lynching now a federal hate crime 2022-03-30|
- After multiple failed attempts that spanned more than a century, there is now a federal law that designates lynching as a hate crime, NPR reported. In a March 29 ceremony at the White House, President Joe Biden signed ...
|Lightfoot, CPD and CTA officials announce new safety measures 2022-03-09|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, Chicago Police Superintendent David O. Brown and Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) President Dorval Carter Jr. announced new measures designed to improve public safety and ...
|Chicago historian 'invites the audience to the party' that is queer history 2022-02-28|
- The book Voices in Isolation: 4 Queer Plays at a Social Distance is a collection of stories about the LGBTQ+ community designed to preserve "fading memories" of queer history and experiences by "inviting the audience to ...
|Wisconsin county's United Way launching LGBTQ+ equity challenge 2022-01-30|
- In Wisconsin's Brown County, the public is invited to participate in a nine-week equity challenge designed to create more understanding of and community support for LGBTQ+ residents, per the Green Bay Press Gazette. The LGBTQ+ Equity ...
|Fashion designer Thierry Mugler dies at 73 2022-01-24|
- Openly gay French fashion designer Thierry Mugler (full name: Manfred Thierry Mugler) has passed away at age 73, according to media reports. Madonna, Lady Gaga and Cardi B are among those who have worn his designs. ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE, dance community designate 2022 the "Year of Chicago Dance" 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO In deep partnership with the local dance community, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) Commissioner Erin Harkey have designated 2022 as the "Year ...