|DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE The Groove is in the Heart: Moose's summer jams
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 1539 times since Wed Jul 20, 2011
I can't be the only who changes out their music like their sweater/shorts drawers as the seasons change. Toward fall I get very rootsy with kd lang, Neil Young, and Tom Petty; winter gets more morose with Casey Stratton, David Sylvian, Tori Amos and Damien Rice; while spring brings Pet Shop Boys, Saint Ettienne and Girl Talk. Then summer comes with a sound all its own.
Currently I'm sitting here writing this loading all three Deee-lite albums into my iPod and chair dancing to "Picnic in the Summertime." Deee-lite, way due for a reunion/comeback, are the overlords of happy beats from the '90s. They ruled the gay clubs at the tail end of the '80s and into 1990 with "Groove Is In the Heart," off World Clique, but then never really captured that same vibe again. Luckily we have others from that era just as joyous: Cece Peniston, Soul II Soul and Betty Boo all come to mind. Or if you need to get more current, get The Gossip's Beth Ditto's EP or the new full-length by Hercules + Love Affair, who've both made incredible homages to that house sound recently.
We're gay, so dance music is our go-to for summer tunes, but also consider getting sexy with some Sade or Tracey Thorn as well. They are, in my book, the two best vocalists of our time and both just take you away on a small cumulus cloud of joy with anything they do.
Finally, if rolling down the windows and cruising boys is your thing, Sade may not work. Give them something that says butch cool like Def Leppard's Pyromania album (the only real Def Lep CD) or De La Soul's classic hip hop masterpiece 3 Feet High and Rising. Both have great speaker power and say, "He might be straight; I bet I can have him though."
Whatever your groove is, make sure you groove responsibly and with many, many others. Summer music is all about getting it on with others, just like life.
Come check Moose's grooves at two new gigs at Downtown Bar and The Glenwood this summer.
This article shared 1539 times since Wed Jul 20, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Artemis Singers' winter performance inspires listeners to 'Embrace the Night' 2024-01-11
- This winter's annual Artemis Singers' concert, "Embracing the Night," is designed to help listeners connect with their inner strength as they brave the cold winter months. The program begins at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 20 ...
|NHL bans Pride Tape from hockey games and practices 2023-10-11
- The National Hockey League (NHL) has designated that athletes will no longer be able to show support to the LGBTQ+ community while playing, according to Out, which cited Outsports. The league has issued a ban of ...
|Supreme Court rules in favor of anti-gay Colorado web designer, LGBTQ+ groups respond 2023-06-30
- On June 30, the U.S. Supreme Court—which has a conservative majority—ruled in favor of Lorie Smith, an evangelical Christian web designer from Colorado who refuses to work on same-sex weddings, ...
|Viktor Luna moonlights once again on Project Runway 2023-06-14
- Out and proud fashion designer Viktor Luna returns for more challenges in the upcoming season 20 of Project Runway. The Emmy Award-winning competition series has assembled 14 designers from its past, with Christian Siriano serving as ...
|NATIONAL Pro-trans measures, Lambda Legal, Elizabeth Taylor event, drag items, 'The L Word' 2023-04-29
- While at least 12 states have passed legislation to limit or ban gender-affirming healthcare for young people, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico and Minnesota have passed bills designed to shield ...
|HRC applauds Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing extremist attacks on transgender lives 2023-04-21
--From a press release - Topeka, KS - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, commended Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing a total of four bills designe ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
| Chicago Fire FC wins first-ever Midwest Emmy Award 2022-12-07
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Dec. 6, 2022) — Chicago Fire FC has been awarded the Club's first ever Regional Emmy Award in the category of "Outstanding Crafts Achievement for Graphics Arts/Motion Graphics/ Art Direction/Set Design" as a part of ...
|The City of Chicago commits to advertising equity in local media 2022-10-26
-- From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot signed an executive order designating that City of Chicago departments allocate at least 50 percent of their annual advertising spending to community media outlets. More than 153 languages are spoken in households ...
|Fire FC falls to CF Montreal; Cubs and White Sox win 2022-09-14
- On Sept. 13, the Chicago Fire FC (9-14-8) fell 3-2 to CF Montreal (17-9-5) at Stade Saputo. Chicago's three-game unbeaten run (1-0-2) was snapped. Designated player Xherdan Shaqiri converted two penalty kicks on the night, but ...
|NATIONAL Gay judge, brewery threatened, Victory Fund, AIDS Quilt 2022-08-28
- New York's highest court has designated Associate Judge Anthony Cannataro to serve as acting chief judge after Janet DiFiore steps down, Gay City News reported. Cannataro, the former administrative judge of New York City's civil court, ...
|Skaters from Chicago BIPOC queer collective froSkate release Nike SB shoe 2022-08-17
- Members of froSkate—an organization dedicated to creating safe spaces for BIPOC queer skateboarders—recently became the first Black women to design a colorful sneaker with Nike SB, and the shoe was recently released. Two of froSkate's le ...
|ACTIVITIES Architectural Artifacts brings the goods to new Chicago location 2022-07-15
- Following its 35-year legacy as one of the nation's top destinations for globally sourced design and architectural statement pieces, Architectural Artifacts, Inc. (AAI) has reimagined a 35,000-square-foot Mid Century-style school ...