||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE: THE NEW PRIDE
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 2198 times since Wed Jun 25, 2014
As this columnist prepares not only to write the annual Pride issue music segment, he's also looking forward to seeing out and proud Adam Lambert at the United Center with the legendary Queen. Important in so many ways, but most of all to see Queen with a gay man proudly fronting the band subbing for dearly departed Freddie Mercury, who never came out to his fans and only came out as HIV-positive one day before his passing. After Freddie, many have stepped in for him including the at-the-time closeted George Michael, the straight Robbie Williams and Bad Company's Paul Rodgers. While Adam proudly takes the throne, if only for a tour, I'm inspired by so many who've come out so seemingly effortlessly over these past few years to little fanfare, and much acclaim.
Sam Smith, who has had huge hits as the voice of instrumentalists Disclosure ( "Latch" ) and Naughty Boy ( "La La La" ) in the past year, finally stepped out ( and out of the closet ) with his solo album The Lonely Hour. While Lonely isn't the club powerhouse most of his fans thought he should do, it's a lovely, heartfelt British Soul collection that will appeal to fans of Emeli SandÃ© , Simply Red and Boy George especially ( who's fantastic, and also very mellow new solo album also just dropped ). For a real bonus, get the one-off single "Stay With Me," sung with Mary J. Blige, not on the official album.
Kele Okereke, the lead singer of alt-rock band Bloc Party, has been as coy as Morrissey at times about his sexuality, but is indeed out. Like Freddie Mercury on Queen's Hot Space CD, Kele sounds like he's wearing his gay club influences on his sleeve lately with his latest EP, Candy Flip. Here's hoping Kele continues on this route as Candy Flip boasts 40-some-odd mintues of pure house bliss.
And finally, if you've not picked up Adore Delano's full-length debut, Till Death Do Us Party, do; don't think that RuPaul's the only drag singer who can go beyond novelty tracks. TDDUP is as diverse and seriously great as most pop diva's major label efforts. Like Miley's Bangerz, Adore strikes the perfect diversity of styles, from trap to ballads to dance, while all sounding completely cohesive and downright Adore-able.
This article shared 2198 times since Wed Jun 25, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ann Hampton Callaway releases 'Revelation' 2021-05-12|
--From a press release - The latest in a string of singles, Ann Hampton Callaway, releases "Revelation", a song she composed to a Robert Frost poem which she kept in her jeans pocket when she was a teenager. Callaway wrote the ...
|Tina Turner, The Go-Go's among 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021-05-12|
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame revealed its 2021 inductees, calling this class "the most diverse list of inductees in the history of the organization." In the Performer category, inductees include The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|SHOWBIZ Tig Notaro, films, E. Lynn Harris, Nick Jonas 2021-05-09|
- Emmy- and Grammy-nominated stand-up comedian Tig Notaro (HBO's Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted), will return to HBO this summer with the first-ever fully animated stand-up special, HBO announced. The special ...
|Citadel Theatre to return in fall with a four-show 2021-22 season 2021-05-08|
--From a press release - LAKE FOREST, IL - Citadel Theatre Company will return to live, in-person, indoor performances in September with a season of four productions — three plays plus the company's traditional holiday musical - according to Artistic Director ...
|Ravinia Festival announces 2021 summer programming 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, IL — The Ravinia Festival, under the direction of its new President and CEO Jeffrey P. Haydon, announced the concert schedule for 2021 today, celebrating the reopening of the park for the first time ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE announce Chicago summer events 2021-05-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), Choose Chicago, and Chicago's cultural community today announced "Open Culture" — the next phase of ...
|Northalsted plans to hold Market Days Aug. 6-8 2021-05-04|
- The Northalsted Business Alliance plans to host Market Days August 6-8, adding a Friday night edition, the first in its 38-year history. As vaccinations increase and Illinois begins planning for stage 5 reopening, organizers of the ...
|Heather Headley to headline Goodman Theatre's May 22 virtual gala 2021-05-03|
- Goodman Theatre announced that Tony-winning Broadway actor and Grammy Award-winning singer Heather Headley will headline the company's "Together Center Stage" virtual 2021 gala fundraiser. "Together Center Stage" is slated to stream Saturday, May 22, ...
|Jeannie Tanner show at City Winery on May 20 2021-05-03|
- On Thursday, May 20, at 7 p.m., City Winery Chicago, 1200 W. Randolph St., will host the first in-person performance of "3 Martini Jeannie." Throughout the pandemic, every Friday at 5 p.m., Tanner celebrated the close ...
|Vintage House show honoring Chicago House Music with DJ Lori Branch May 5 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL. May 3, 2021. Paving the way for every DJ behind her, DJ Lori Branch is continuously receiving flowers for her talents and dedication to music. Currently, through May, Spotify (spotify.com/chicago) billboards highlighting Chicago music ...
|Windy City Smokeout to return July 8-11 2021-04-29|
- The outdoor country-music/BBQ festival Windy City Smokeout will return to Chicago on July 8-11 outside the United Center, 1901 W. Madison St. Hosted by BBQ joint Bub City and the venue Joe's Bar, the event will ...
|Pride in the Park' on June 26-27 2021-04-29|
- There will be at least one big LGBTQ+ event in Chicago this summer. Pride in the Park is slated to take place June 26-27 in Grant Park. It will be 2-10 p.m. on June 26, and 3-10 p.m. the following day. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joe Exotic' series, Luther Vandross, singer's announcement, star couples 2021-04-25|
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch's John Cameron Mitchell has been tapped to play the title character opposite Kate McKinnon in the series Joe Exotic (working title), Deadline reported. The limited series centers on Carole Baskin (McKinnon), ...
|SHOWBIZ Brandi Carlile, 'Legendary,' children's book, film festival, Janet Mock 2021-04-18|
- Lesbian musician Brandi Carlile memoir, Broken Horses, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Sellers list, a press release announced. In addition to the hardback book, a very special audiobook edition of the ...