||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE Moose's 4th annual Gift Guide
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 3992 times since Wed Dec 11, 2013
Every year, as our world gets more and more digital, it gets tougher and tougher to suggest tangible gifts to unwrap with your loved ones. By now, most of the folks on your list have already downloaded the latest releases by Lady Gaga, Britney Spears or Katy Perry, so don't even think about picking up that "special edition" of Prism at Target. He's already got that plus the demos from the interwebs. Let's look a bit deeper, past the downloads and the gift cards, to something a bit more real.
For the twink/soon-to-be-gay nephew ( we all know ) don't even attempt to beat them to the aforementioned diva discs. Instead give the gift of live theater. Tickets are available now for some great local and national shows such as We Three Lizas and Hell In A Handbag's Christmas Dearest ( both playing 'til year's end ), or the non-holiday hit, Timeline Theater's Normal Heart by Larry Kramer ( also running until the 29th ). All are great ways to kill some family time after your get-togethers and bring you far more culture than 50% off sweats at Old Navy. If that won't work, Lady Gaga tickets just went on sale. No brainer.
For dad I'd consider browsing the new record departments at Target or Urban Outfitters or local haunts like Laurie's or Reckless for superior heavy-quality vinyl. You know he's still got that old turntable hooked up in his man-cave, formerly the living room, and he never uses it. Trust me, there's nothing a baby boomer or Gen-Xer loves more than that glorious feel of taking the cellophane off a pristine new LP and dropping the needle to feel a new kind of holiday warmth.
For mom, there's a plethora of holiday albums out there just retro enough for her, but perfect for your young ears as well. Kelly Clarkson's Wrapped In Red charges forward like coked out reindeers into your ears with her signature power directed at baby Jesus and lost loves. Mary J Blige does just what MJB does on the predictably titled, A Mary Christmas, so no surprises here, but a quality effort nonetheless and a good diversion from Tamar Braxton's phoned in Xmas release. But the most surprisingly robust effort is by UK underdog Leona Lewis with Christmas With Love. She comes closer to being Mariah Carey at Christmas than Mimi's done in two albums with a warm and wild tribute to the sounds of Darlene Love, Phil Spector and The Supremes without sounding too on-the-nose. Just enough originality to keep fresh, but you get where the influence is. And unlike your ham you're trying to bake, no one will complain about this crowd pleaser.
Give the gift of civil rights by picking up tickets to Reply: Reboot a fundraiser for Lambda Legal for New Year's Eve with DJ Moose. See Moosebox on Facebook for ticket info.
This article shared 3992 times since Wed Dec 11, 2013
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER REVIEW 'Little Voice' showcases big talents 2023-09-29|
- The Gift Theatre at Filament Theatre, 4041 N. Milwaukee Through Oct. 15 thegifttheatre.org � I kept thinking of Walter, one of the regulars at (late, lamented) Bucks Saloon, when watching The Gift Theatre's current production of ...
|SHOWBIZ Rocker comes out, Billie Eilish, Luke Evans, 'Housewives,' 'Masculinity' book 2023-06-30|
- Josh Kiszka, frontman for the Grammy-winning rock band Greta Van Fleet, came out as gay in an Instagram post, according to Instinct Magazine. He wrote, in part, "The greatest mortal gift of all is our capacity ...
|Billy Masters bids adieu to Dame Edna 2023-04-24|
- "I was born with a priceless gift—the ability to laugh at the misfortunes of others." —Dame Edna Everage The world just got a bit duller with the death of Dame Edna Everage. Her creator, Barry Humphries, ...
|Billy Masters 2023-03-27|
- "This makes me happy for the OG Charmed fans. What a gift!" —Alyssa Milano captions a photo of Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs and Rose McGowan at 90s Con. No word on why Alyssa missed this ...
|Life Is Work, Brave Space Alliance to distribute Grubhub gift cards 2022-12-21|
- Life Is Work (LIW)—a Black and Brown trans-led social services and advocacy organization on Chicago's West Side—is collaborating with community partner and South Side trans- and Black-led organization Brave Space ...
|Windy City Times holiday shopping guide 2022-12-03|
- If you're looking for ideas for holiday gifts, check out what we have to offer: A supreme idea: You may not know this but one of the coolest new stores in Chicago is the Wicker Park spot Supreme, at 1438 N. ...
|Five Worth Finding: COVID book, 'Wicked' cocktails, 'A Taste of Hope' and more 2022-10-24|
- —COVID-19, the LGBTQIA+ Community and Public Policy: As studies emerge to help us understand the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on every facet of modern life, it is critical that the effect of the pandemic on ...
|THEATER The Gift running thriller 'The Locusts' Oct. 20-Nov. 19 2022-09-23|
- The Gift Theatre will conclude its 2022 season with the world premiere of Jennifer Rumberger's thriller The Locusts, commissioned and developed by The Gift and directed by ensemble member John Gawlik. The Locusts will run Oct. ...
|Five Worth Finding: Movie short, 'Kaepernick,' ice cream and more 2022-08-14|
- —Fraud: Non-binary director Zen Zadih Pace's debut narrative short, Fraud—starring trans actress Dana Aliya Levinson (STARZ's American Gods) and Babak Tafti (Showtime's Super Pumped)—was selected for ...
|SAVOR Bird's Eye Bar & Grill; Sweet Mandy B's marks 20 years 2022-07-24|
- Feast while dining among the beasts. Located in the heart of the Lincoln Park Zoo, Bird's Eye Bar & Grill (https://www.lpzoo.org/venue/birds-eye-bar-grill/; right above the venue's gift shop) provides a respite from walking around and seei ...
|Five Worth Finding: WNDR Museum, Prince, queer books, flowers 2022-06-16|
- WNDR Museum's Pride event "Crafting with Queens": The West Loop museum is usually entertainment and, um, wondrous enough on its ownbut during Pride Month, WNDR is queering things up with "Crafting with Queens" on Tuesday, ...
|Five Worth Finding: Chocolate festival, lesbian sci-fi film, 'Smahtguy' 2022-05-16|
- —The Long Grove Chocolate Festival: The beloved Chocolate Festival will return to the historic streets and parkways of downtown Long Grove for the first time in three years, May 20-22. Chocolate lovers can experience so much—including ...
|THEATER 'At the Vanishing Point' running through May 22 2022-05-02|
- The Gift Theatre is welcoming back live audiences with the Chicago premiere of Naomi Iizuka's drama At the Vanishing Point, directed by Lavina Jadhwani. It runs through Sunday, May 22, at Filament Theatre, 4041 N. Milwaukee ...
|Planned Parenthood of Illinois receives $17M donation from Mackenzie Scott 2022-03-23|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOPlanned Parenthood of Illinois (PPIL) announced that it is the grateful recipient of an unrestricted $17 million gift from MacKenzie Scottthe billionaire philanthropist who has pledged to give back the ...
|Five Worth Finding: Horror film, fantasy series, 'Women in Wine' 2022-03-07|
- The Last Thing Mary Saw: Offered exclusively on Shudder, The Last Thing Mary Saw (directed by Edoardo Vitaletti) is an engaging treat. In 19th-century New York, Young Mary, blood trickling from behind the blindfold tied around ...