||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE: MY GAY MAMA, CHER
by Marc “Moose” Moder
This article shared 2219 times since Wed Nov 24, 2010
We all have a gay mom. Not in that The Kids Are All Right/Annette Bening way. Everyone has a gay fantasy mom. My mother was the mother of perfection. I can't find a single instance in my 40-something years where she made a bad choice. However, she's not exactly Auntie Mame. Quite frankly, there's a reason there are Mama Rose and Auntie Mame. Real moms aren't fun.
It all started in about 1973 when Sonny & Cher were on the decline. My nuclear family sat every week and watched the antics of Cher and her nebbishy Italian hubby, Sonny Bono. Sonny was really a foil or even an afterthought. Cher was where it was at for me: sassy, skinny, brunette, and mildly ethniceverything I wanted to be. Plus, she got to hang out with Chastity. I was pretty sure she was going to be my wife one day. Little did I know our paths… .
Then after a few years out of the Mooselight while she hung out with ruffians like Gregg Allman and Gene Simmons making disco albums, I rediscovered Mommy as an actress in Silkwood and Moonstruck and was hooked again. Her big moment for me was her rockin' self-titled 1987 release with "We All Sleep Alone" and "Main Man." She came back sans disco, rocking her ass off--and out. Mama was back.
And then Mama made that horrible hair infomercial... big mistake, and she knew it. After that she gave up on film for a while, partially because she was shamed by the hair thing, partially because her face looked like a Cher commemorative plate. Since then she's done a great comeback tour, two strong dance albums, and now the brazil-liant Burlesque. I'm not sure if it will be good brilliant or bad brilliant. Either way, WIN/WIN. With Cher, you can't go wrong. Go see Burlesque. You owe it to our collective gay mom.
You can hang with Moose at the Burlesque premiere party at Downtown Bar, November 24 from 6-9 p.m.
This article shared 2219 times since Wed Nov 24, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NHL bans Pride Tape from hockey games and practices 2023-10-11|
- The National Hockey League (NHL) has designated that athletes will no longer be able to show support to the LGBTQ+ community while playing, according to Out, which cited Outsports. The league has issued a ban of ...
|Supreme Court rules in favor of anti-gay Colorado web designer, LGBTQ+ groups respond 2023-06-30|
- On June 30, the U.S. Supreme Court—which has a conservative majority—ruled in favor of Lorie Smith, an evangelical Christian web designer from Colorado who refuses to work on same-sex weddings, ...
|Viktor Luna moonlights once again on Project Runway 2023-06-14|
- Out and proud fashion designer Viktor Luna returns for more challenges in the upcoming season 20 of Project Runway. The Emmy Award-winning competition series has assembled 14 designers from its past, with Christian Siriano serving as ...
|NATIONAL Pro-trans measures, Lambda Legal, Elizabeth Taylor event, drag items, 'The L Word' 2023-04-29|
- While at least 12 states have passed legislation to limit or ban gender-affirming healthcare for young people, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico and Minnesota have passed bills designed to shield ...
|HRC applauds Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing extremist attacks on transgender lives 2023-04-21|
--From a press release - Topeka, KS - Today, the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) civil rights organization, commended Kansas Governor Laura Kelly for vetoing a total of four bills designe ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
| Chicago Fire FC wins first-ever Midwest Emmy Award 2022-12-07|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (Dec. 6, 2022) — Chicago Fire FC has been awarded the Club's first ever Regional Emmy Award in the category of "Outstanding Crafts Achievement for Graphics Arts/Motion Graphics/ Art Direction/Set Design" as a part of ...
|The City of Chicago commits to advertising equity in local media 2022-10-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot signed an executive order designating that City of Chicago departments allocate at least 50 percent of their annual advertising spending to community media outlets. More than 153 languages are spoken in households ...
|Fire FC falls to CF Montreal; Cubs and White Sox win 2022-09-14|
- On Sept. 13, the Chicago Fire FC (9-14-8) fell 3-2 to CF Montreal (17-9-5) at Stade Saputo. Chicago's three-game unbeaten run (1-0-2) was snapped. Designated player Xherdan Shaqiri converted two penalty kicks on the night, but ...
|NATIONAL Gay judge, brewery threatened, Victory Fund, AIDS Quilt 2022-08-28|
- New York's highest court has designated Associate Judge Anthony Cannataro to serve as acting chief judge after Janet DiFiore steps down, Gay City News reported. Cannataro, the former administrative judge of New York City's civil court, ...
|Skaters from Chicago BIPOC queer collective froSkate release Nike SB shoe 2022-08-17|
- Members of froSkate—an organization dedicated to creating safe spaces for BIPOC queer skateboarders—recently became the first Black women to design a colorful sneaker with Nike SB, and the shoe was recently released. Two of froSkate's le ...
|ACTIVITIES Architectural Artifacts brings the goods to new Chicago location 2022-07-15|
- Following its 35-year legacy as one of the nation's top destinations for globally sourced design and architectural statement pieces, Architectural Artifacts, Inc. (AAI) has reimagined a 35,000-square-foot Mid Century-style school ...
|Out at CHM's 'Dancing for Life' to take place June 23 2022-06-10|
- The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark St., is continuing its Out at CHM series with "Dancing for Life: Moving through HIV/AIDS" on Thursday, June 23, 5:30-8:30 p.m. In honor of Chicago designating 2022 as the ...