||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE Is A.I. D.O.A?
by Marc "Moose" Moder
This article shared 2282 times since Wed May 26, 2010
Picture it. 2002. Hollywood. Me a lithe 32-year-old standing in front of the Nokia Theater towering above the 12-year-olds in front of me all clamoring for a glimpse of Paul, Simon, Kelly, and even Justin Guarini ( simply to see him in person to prove he WAS NOT Sideshow Bob ) . Anyway, how I got there and why I coincidentally was in LA the night of American Idol's first season finale is for another time. But the point is, it was magical enough for me to still remember every piece of confetti that fell from the rafters that night. And as the years have gone by, my interests have gone up ( Allen vs. Lambert, Daughtry ) and down ( the lost Fantasia season, OY ) , but I've hung In there for love or money. It's my baby. I watch Idol like straights watch football: with fantasy teams and in my underpants. So imagine how crushed I was when this season was so below expectations I found myself actually reading a book vs. watching the whole show!
With Simon phoning it in for the season knowing he's about to launch X-Factor here in the US, the show is rudderless and I'm not entirely convinced it's not on purpose. So what can save my baby? First, let's start from scratch on the judges. Without Simon, do we really care about the other three? Also, the band. They've always sounded about as original as a Branson stage band. Think new; think under 40. But the worst is the themes. If A.N.T.M. and Project Runway and conjure up mildly original challenges, don't you think the bigger names in the industry can do better than eight years of "Movie Songs" and Lennon/McCartney songbook?
So I think what I want is a drastically different, re-thought Idol. Oh wait, it's called X-Factor. See you in the fall, Simon!
You can follow Moose at www.writingaboutmusic.com .
This article shared 2282 times since Wed May 26, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Home of LGBTQ pioneers Phyllis Lyon, Del Martin first San Francisco lesbian history landmark 2021-05-04|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO — On Tuesday, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors unanimously passed an ordinance authored by District 8 Supervisor Rafael Mandelman to designate the former home of pioneering LGBTQ and civil rights activists Phyllis Lyon ...
|Netflix to debut limited series 'Halston' on May 14 2021-04-23|
- On what would have been legendary fashion designer Roy Halston Frowick's 89th birthday (on April 23), Netflix stated it was honoring the visionary icon by announcing the Friday, May 14, global premiere date for the five-episode ...
|National Trust advocates to protect legacy of LGBTQ+ pioneers
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — The National Trust for Historic Preservation will testify tomorrow before the San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission in an attempt to secure a local landmark designation for the San Francisco home of pioneering LGBTQ+ ...
|Chicago Southland Restaurant Week on Feb. 21-27
- The Chicago Southland Convention & Visitors Bureau announced the launch of the inaugural Chicago Southland Restaurant Week. Designed to promote Chicago Southland restaurants while encouraging residents and visitors to support ...
|Ravinia Women's Board unveils winner of poster competition
- The Ravinia Women's Board unveiled the winner of its annual Ravinia season poster competition. Minneapolis graphic designer Sean Quinn, 28, is the recipient of the competition's top prize for a second time; his entry in the ...
|Pennycuff Memorial Apartments now open 2020-12-16|
- The John Pennycuff Memorial Apartments at Castillo Plaza is named for the late LGBTQ and civil rights activist, John Pennycuff. Located on Milwaukee Ave. in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood, the building was designed by Cyrus Subawalla ...
|WORLD Egypt arrests, Trans Legal Mapping Report, designer dies 2020-10-05|
- In Egypt, authorities are accused of using dating apps and social media to track down and arrest queer folks in their latest attempt to "clean the streets," Out.com noted. Human Rights Watch interviewed 15 people who ...
|PHOTOGRAPHY Lisa A. Frank talks career, inspirations, Springboard Arts Chicago installation 2020-09-03|
- Fifteen years ago, Lisa A. Frank's professional world changed forever when she was fired from a job designing textiles for Ralph Lauren. The very next day, Frank went out and bought a digital camera and "never ...
|MOVIES New documentary visits 'House of Cardin' 2020-09-02|
- It took a queer eye to bring the new documentary House of Cardin to life. Husbands and business partners Todd Hughes and P. David Ebersole have directed a history of designer Pierre Cardin. Viewers of the ...
|Planned Parenthood of Illinois running 'Real Talk' sex-ed series for parents 2020-08-12|
- Planned Parenthood of Illinois (PPIL) has launched a digital education series called "Real Talk: Creating Healthy Conversations with Young People." Designed for parents, guardians and caretakers, the free, virtual series ...
|STREAMING THEATER REVIEW Groups of Ten or More People 2020-07-21|
- Playwright: Gaby Labotka and Zach Barr At: Littlebrain Theatre streaming online. Tickets: Facebook.com/LittlebrainTheatre/ . Runs through: Open run The forays into digital playmaking, Zoom-grid scenic design and headshot acting engendered ...
|Survey open for potential Boystown name change 2020-07-21|
- Northalsted Business Alliance is asking for the public to weigh in on the "Boystown" moniker. The Alliance has published a survey asking community members' opinions on the Lake View neighborhood, which was officially designated an "LGBTQ+ ...
|Illinois' neutral marker on birth certificates applauded on Int'l Non-Binary People's Day 2020-07-14|
--From a press release - A person born in Illinois is able to correct the gender marker on their birth certificate to a gender neutral designation, according to LGBTQ advocates and the Illinois Department of Public Health. Individuals who were born ...
|Chicago man takes face masks into luxury 2020-07-10|
- During COVID-19 David Altman is encouraging people to wear their heart on their face with masks that his brand Vintage Luxe Up is currently making out of vintage luxury designer silk scarves. Altman grew up on ...
|Petition urges Boystown name change 2020-07-08|
- An online petition launched late in June is demanding that the "Boystown" neighborhood designation be changed to a term that is more inclusive of the entire LGBTQ community. The petitionwhich is on Change.org and was authored ...