||DANCING ABOUT ARCHITECTURE DROPPING BACK ONTO YOUR RADAR
by Marc 'Moose' Moder
This article shared 3514 times since Wed Apr 30, 2014
Quite a few artists we've not heard enough from in the past ten years are popping back into view and onto your radar this spring with new releases which showcase some of their better work. Time out of the spotlight can do an artist good.
Ben Watt ( the other half of Everything But the Girl ) takes the wheel from his wife/bandmate as she takes a break and he goes back to work. She's had a very fruitful solo career with some of her best material over the course of three albums. Now Ben's back with Hendra, a departure from his peak era house material and back in line with his beginnings in new folk, thought it sounds like a new direction and not a return to form. If you're a fan of Neil Young or California pop you'll find much to bond over, and there's even some much needed backing love by his wife on the sunny track, "Spring."
Luka Bloom probably isn't a name many of us remember, and if we do it's from his '90s cover of LL Cool J's "I Need Love." Since then, Bloom's consistently put out gorgeous, delicate Irish-tinged folk music and lullabies. Now he's back with Head and Heart, a slightly uneven covers disc with a few too many obvious cuts like "Danny Boy" and "I Love You So," but with enough pretty nuggets to at least take you to iTunes to gather up and pick your faves.
Morten Harket disbanded a-ha a few years back with a comprehensive collection, a big world tour and one of their best singles ever, "Butterfly." Post a-ha, Harket released his first truly decent solo album, the electronic Out of My Hands, capitalizing on the success of the last few and first two a-ha albums, when they were at their peak. His past solo releases had tried to differentiate themselves from the band, but this showed he could do the sound right alone. Well, that's shot to hell. His newest CD, Brother, puts him right back at square one, trying to sound way to much like a bad Robbie Williams disc with too much guitar, not enough pop slickness, terrible writing, and poop production. There are moments, like the '90s-esque "Do You Remember Me," but not worth buying the entire disc for. Go back and get the previous album or any of a-ha's brilliant final three releases for a real treat.
Ilya, or San Ilya as they were known in the US at their peak, has a huge hit in the Chill-Out era with "Bellissimo" ( go YouTube it ) and their major label debut, They Died for Beauty. TD4B was a masterpiece with Jo Swan's trembling vocals awash with strings and horns creating a modern Italian cinema epic on record. Post TD4B, they went independent with the pleasant but more uneven Somerset and Fathom's Deep. Now Ilya seems back full force, using elements of jazz, classical strings, world rhythms and even theremin to bring you what could be described as Dusty Springfield plus Burt Bacharach put through an acid dream. Just what their fans have been wanting over the past ten years. Bravissimo, Bellissimo.
…And welcome back to you all.
Follow Moose and his weekly DJ gigs at @moosesicman or on Facebook.
This article shared 3514 times since Wed Apr 30, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Netflix, Kal Penn, Dennis Rodman, 'The Voice,' 'Euphoria' 2021-11-28|
Video below - Terra Field—one of the Netflix employees who organized the walkout around Dave Chappelle's comedy special The Closer—has resigned from the streamer, Deadline reported. Field, along with B. Pagels-Minor, organized an ...
|Broadway titan Stephen Sondheim dies at 91 2021-11-27|
- Stephen Sondheim, one of the giants of Broadway songwriting, died Nov. 26 at his home in Roxbury, Connecticut, according to media reports. He was 91. Among the works in the legend's oeuvre are Company (1970), Follies ...
|EVENTS John Grumpy Co. presenting 'Black Sunday' Nov. 28 2021-11-24|
- John Grumpy Co. is hosting "Black Sunday," which will take place at HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.. This event will feature celebrity DJ Jamal Smallz. "Black Sunday" will ...
|MUSIC Grammy nominations announced; GLAAD comments 2021-11-24|
- On Nov. 23, the nominations for the 64th Annual Grammy Awards were announced. John Batiste, the musician who also serves as the bandleader on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, led among all nominees with 11 ...
|MUSIC Controversial rapper DaBaby postpones shows 2021-11-24|
- DaBaby's return to touring following fallout for making anti-gay comments at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami this past summer has been postponed, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. The rapper's been promoting his "Live Show ...
|SHOWBIZ '9-1-1,' Billie Jean King, Lena Waithe, singer Mary Lambert, White Party 2021-11-21|
- Actor Rockmond Dunbar left the Fox show 9-1-1 after four seasons over a vaccine mandate, Deadline noted. His gay character, Michael Grant, was abruptly written off in the Nov. 15 episode, leaving fans of the first-responder ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|MOVIES 'Dante and Beatrice in Florence' Nov. 28-Dec. 5 2021-11-19|
- Porchlight Music Theatre is partnering with Hershey Felder Presents: Live from Florence and its second season of productions. The launch of this new season from Hershey Felder is the new musical film Dante and Beatrice in ...
|Lil Nas X part of 'Jingle Ball' on Dec. 7 2021-11-17|
- Queer rapper Lil Nas X will headline KISS FM's Jingle Ball Presented by Capital One this year, run in coordination with iHeart Radio. The event will take place Tuesday, Dec. 7, at Allstate Arena at 7:30 ...
|Chicago Therapy Collective to honor Trans Day of Resilience 2021-11-16|
- On Saturday, Nov. 20, Chicago Therapy Collective will release an original music video cover of Wildfires (Sault, 2020) in honor of Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) 2021 and the racial justice uprisings of 2020. According to ...
|'When I Am Free' concert supporting Rainbow Railroad on Dec. 3 2021-11-16|
- "When I Am Free: A Benefit Concert for Rainbow Railroad" will take place at Center on Halsted's Hoover-Leppen Theatre, 3656 N. Halsted St., on Friday, Dec. 3, at 7:30 p.m. During this event, there will be ...
|SHOWBIZ Theater items, Lady Gaga, 'Justice League Queer,' Tom of Finland 2021-11-14|
- Eighteen months after he died of COVID, the life of playwright Terrence McNally was celebrated in a packed house Nov. 1 at the Schoenfeld Theatre, Gay City News noted. Tributes poured in from theater artists, while ...
|Britney Spears' conservatorship ends 2021-11-12|
- The conservatorship that has controlled Britney Spears' finances, personal life and medical decisions since 2008, and which for many years was controlled by her father, Jamie Spears, has ended. On Nov. 12, Los Angeles County Superior ...
|THEATER REVIEW Pump Boys and Dinettes 2021-11-12|
- Title: Pump Boys and Dinettes. Playwright: Book, music and lyrics by John Foley, Mark Hardwick, Debra Monk, Cass Morgan, John Schimmel and Jim Wann At: Porchlight Music Theatre at the Ruth Page Auditorium. Tickets: $45-$74; PorchlightMusicTheatre.org. ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present Christmas Dearest 2021-11-12|
--From a press release - Book & Lyrics David Cerda Music by David Cerda and Scott Lamberty. Directed by Derek Van Barham. Nov. 27 — Dec. 31, 2021 at Ebenezer Lutheran Churchz CHICAGO (November 11, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag ...