WINDY CITY TIMES
||DANCE 'Wired,' focusing on barbed wire, to premiere at MCA on May 5-8
This article shared 1220 times since Thu Apr 14, 2022
The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) will showcase the world premiere of Wired on May 5-8.
Internationally recognized disability arts ensemble Kinetic Light will return to the stage to premiere its latest work. The work is part of the MCA's Entanglements performance series developed by MCA's curator of performance and public practice, Tara Aisha Willis.
The presentation includes four accessible in-person performances and a virtual livestream.
Wired is a contemporary aerial dance performance that explores race, gender and disability stories of barbed wire in the United States, tracing the fine line between "us" and "them" and exploring the contradictions, dangers and beauty of barbed wire. Immense and intimate, Wired meditates in sound, light and movement as the work questions and ruminates on power, belonging, abolition and deinstitutionalization, sexuality, art, community and connectionall through the lens of disability as creative and cultural force.
Tickets are $10-$30 each; visit mcachicago.org/calendar/2022/05/wired or call 312-397-4010.
This article shared 1220 times since Thu Apr 14, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Baton Show Lounge unveils new male burlesque 2022-11-23|
- On the evening of Nov. 17, Baton Show Lounge, 4713 N. Broadway, presented Burlesque Royale, a new male review featuring local and national talent. Produced by noted photographer Ramsey Prince, the sold-out show featured vocalists Danika ...
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 5 at Auditorium Theatre 2022-10-11|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., will present Deeply Rooted Dance Theatera Chicago-based African-American contemporary dance companyin a one-night-only performance Saturday, Nov. 5, at 7:30 p.m. as ...
|AT&T celebrates National Coming Out Day (early) with performances, panel 2022-10-10|
- AT&Tin partnership with Center on Halsted and with the participation of do312.comheld "Turn Up the Love," a pre-celebration for National Coming Out Day that took place Oct. 8 at its flagship store at 600 N. Michigan ...
|DANCE Joffrey celebrates return of 'The Nutcracker' on Dec. 3-27 2022-10-06|
- This holiday season, The Joffrey Ballet celebrates the return of Tony-winning choreographer Christopher Wheeldon's production of The Nutcracker. Set in Chicago's World Fair in 1893, The Nutcracker will be presented at the Lyric Opera House, 20 ...
|DANCE Cerqua Rivera kickoff/benefit on Oct. 22 2022-09-30|
- Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre (CRDT) will hold its season kickoff/benefit on Saturday, Oct. 22, at the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, 915 E. 60th St., at 7:30 p.m. CRDT's Dance Ensemble and Jazz ...
|Howard Brown Health partners with Chicago Dancers United 2022-09-27|
-- From a press release - Howard Brown Health and Chicago Dancers United (CDU) have announced a partnership to improve healthcare outcomes for local dance community members. Through the partnership, Howard Brown will be the go-to ...
|Joffrey Ballet welcomes nine new dancers 2022-09-27|
- The Joffrey Ballet's Ashley Wheater MBE, The Mary B. Galvin Artistic Director and President/CEO Greg Cameron announced the addition of nine dancers to the Joffrey roster for the 2022-23 season. They are Coco Alvarez-Mena (Miami, Florida), ...
|TV 'Dancing with the Stars' has first drag contestant 2022-09-08|
- The show Dancing with the Stars is recording a couple of firsts in its 31st seasonincluding its first-ever drag queen competitor. Actor and Performer D.J. "Shangela" Piercethe first contestant to compete on three separate seasons of ...
|DANCE Rogers Park group Synapse Arts to hold Sept. 17 fundraiser 2022-09-06|
- On Saturday, Sept. 17, there will be another “Crosswalk Dance” from the Rogers Park company Synapse Arts as well as another Jarvis Square Artisan Market and the celebration of National Dance Day. ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises $300K at 'Dance for Life' 2022-09-06|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU), which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance community, welcomed more than 1,700 people to the 31st annual Dance for Life on Aug. 13 at the Auditorium Theatre, followed by ...
|DANCE Ensemble Espanol at Auditorium Theatre on Oct. 1 2022-09-05|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., will kick off the 2022-23 season of its Chicago Dance series with Ensemble Espanol Spanish Dance Theater, for one performance only, on Saturday, Oct. 1 at 7:30 ...
|POLITICS Queer businesswoman running for alderperson in 48th Ward 2022-08-19|
- Leni Manaa-Hoppenworth—a queer native Chicagoan and 23-year resident of Andersonville who also describes herself as a "mother of three, tango dancer, small business owner and community organizer"—announced her candidacy for ...
|Joffrey Academy offers historic contemporary dance track 2022-08-17|
- Ashley Wheater MBE, The Mary B. Galvin Artistic Director of The Joffrey Ballet, announced the launch of the Joffrey Academy Contemporary Ballet Trainee Program—the first full-time contemporary ballet training program ...
|Dance for Life 2022 taking place Aug. 13 at the Auditorium Theatre 2022-08-09|
-- From a press release - Chicago Dancers United (CDU), which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance community, presents seven companies and a world premiere finale for its 31st annual fundraiser, Dance for Life 2022. The event takes place ...
|Billy Masters 2022-08-08|
- "I wasn't trying to have his career because he sings, he dances. I'm barely a single threat. I'm just an actor."—Tuc Watkins, explaining how he emulated the career trajectory of Kevin Kline— to the best of ...