WINDY CITY TIMES
||DANCE Ensemble Espanol at Auditorium Theatre on Oct. 1
This article shared 1287 times since Mon Sep 5, 2022
The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., will kick off the 2022-23 season of its Chicago Dance series with Ensemble Espanol Spanish Dance Theater, for one performance only, on Saturday, Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m.
Entitled "Flamenco Passion" and honoring Hispanic Heritage Month, the program of Spanish dance will feature global flamenco superstar La Lupi (Susana Lupianez Pinto) joining the Ensemble Espanol company to perform her "Pasos Largos/ Long Steps" in a cana style set to a score performed by her husband, renowned guitarist/composer Curro de Mari.
Opening for Ensemble Espanol will be Para.Mar, a Chicago-based contemporary ballet company formed during the pandemic lockdown.
The Ensemble Español dance program will feature both new and classic performances for the full company and its soloists, including El Casorio/The Wedding (2022, Irma Suarez Ruiz), La Resonancia del Alma/Resonance of the Soul (June 2022, Jose Moreno), Danza del Fuego/Dance of Fire (1979, Dame Libby Komaiko), Alma De Aragon (1990, Paco Alonso), Dualia (2018, Carlos Rodriguez), Pasos Largos / Long Steps (2022, La Lupi) and Fin de Fiesta (2022, La Lupi and Company).
Tickets for this program, which start at $25 (discounts available for students and groups), are on sale now at auditoriumtheatre.org .
This article shared 1287 times since Mon Sep 5, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 3 at the Auditorium Theatre 2023-09-27|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., is presenting Deeply Rooted Dance Theatera Chicago-based contemporary dance company rooted in traditions of American and African-American dancein a one-night-only performance ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|Teen suspect arrested in killing of gay dancer 2023-08-05|
- The New York Police Department arrested a suspect in the fatal stabbing of 28-year-old O'Shae Sibley, who was attacked last weekend at a Brooklyn gas station. According to The Advocate, Sibley, a professional dancer, had been ...
|NATIONAL Drag news, HIV-bias lawsuit, Disney, Brittney Griner, gay dancer 2023-08-04|
- Swastika flag-toting neo-Nazis, some of them armed, were at a Wisconsin LGBTQ+ Pride celebration that included a drag show, The Advocate reported. Members of the neo-Nazi extremist group Blood Tribe joined other right-wing hate groups, like ...
|Billy Masters: Cattrall passive-aggressively returns just like that 2023-06-06|
- "I kinda look like a 200-year-old pole dancer now! I don't think that's gonna happen, but thank you anyway." —Sylvester Stallone's response when Sherri Shepherd asks if he'll wear his tank top and booty shorts in ...
|ART on THE MART's summer programs include Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project, Pride celebration 2023-05-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — ART on THE MART, an innovative digital art project that transforms a Chicago architectural landmark into a larger-than-life canvas, will introduce two new commissions this summer. Building Light, a new projection by Gensler, ...
|South Chicago Dance Theatre to debut 'Memoirs of Jazz' on June 10 2023-05-09|
--From a press release - (May 8, 2023) Through the 1960s and '70s, Jazz in the Alley on Chicago's South Side was a hotbed for jazz and a meeting place for some of the country's prominent musicians, visual artists, poets, activists, ...
|Artemis Singers presents June 10 "Better Times Will Come" Pride Concert and Dance 2023-05-03|
--From a press release - CHICAGO─Artemis Singers, Chicago's lesbian feminist chorus, will present "Better Times Will Come" Pride Concert & Dance, Saturday, June 10, at the Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox Ave. ...
|Andersonville Midsommarfest to return June 9-11 in its 57th year 2023-04-30|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (April 27, 2023) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to welcome summer with Andersonville Midsommarfest, one of Chicago's oldest and most beloved summer street festivals. Now in its 57th year, the ann ...
|Ballet review: Joffrey's Little Mermaid returns to darker original, a complex reflection on desire 2023-04-27|
- The Little Mermaid Choreographer: John Neumeier; Score: Lera Auerbach. At: Joffrey Ballet at Lyric Opera House, 20 N. Wacker Drive. Tickets: 312-386-8905 or Joffrey.org; $36-$200. Runs through April 30 It's likely that many parents bringing small ...
|House History: World-premiere musical was inspired by the early days of '80s house music 2023-04-18|
- Gay composer Scott Free can rattle off the names of several documentaries celebrating the Chicago origins of house music. This style of electronic dance music was pioneered by Black DJs like Frankie Knuckles and Larry Heard ...
|Christopher Rudd's ballet Touche explores dynamics of gay love 2023-04-10|
- Jamaican-born dance creator Christopher Rudd premieres his powerful choreography for Chicago audiences at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Drive, on April 14, 2023. The all-male partnering piece titled Touche is part of the ...
|Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project to present dance concert 'Sans Pareil' 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Deeply Rooted Dance Theater joins the Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project again to take the stage in a dance concert entitled Sans Pareil—French for "unparalleled," a nod to the Haitian lineage of Chicago's founder, Jean-Baptiste Pointe ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 2023-02-10|
- Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 By Matt Simonette Performer Duane Gosa admits that going to the ballet can sometimes be intimidating for some audience. But he is quick to reassure that ...